New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Can this ol' redneck get back in the community?  (Read 597 times)

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
Can this ol' redneck get back in the community?
« on: April 10, 2020, 08:56:59 PM »
Good evenin', Fellers.
I've stopped by all along and scanned the forum but just quit posting and sharing on the forum for some unknown reason. @--0--0117  I've been faithful to my pocket knife forum and our outdoor forum specific to Florida outdoors has all but dried up. :(  Hope y'all will have me back to chew the fat and share some of our Florida Panhandle outdoors.
Treefarmer

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Can this ol' redneck get back in the community?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 09:25:14 PM »
welcome back. it's been a while
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 09:40:32 PM »
Hey there, glad you're back - fill us in on what's happening down there.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
Welcome!!  Glad to have you back!!
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:30:54 PM »
Glad to have you back , pull up a chair .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 06:04:54 AM »
Sure thing, pull that log over to the fire and join back in with the chats!   @--0--0134   ##$%#1118

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 06:25:04 AM »
Welcome back old friend, always good to hear from everyone and what you have been up to.

The fire is still going here, throw on another log and join right in.  ##$%#1118
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 09:07:11 AM »
 ##$%#1118  nice to have you back how have you been
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »
Of course, you can come back. Glad to have you back!
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 04:23:35 PM »
Welcome back Gater !
2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 04:40:54 PM »
Thank y'all for the approval!

I suppose old age is gettin' to me a bit.  I used to give them ol' deer trouble back in the day.  We ran deer hounds on horseback, 4X4 buggies, airboats, tree stands, you name it, we did it.  About 47 years ago we moved from central Florida where we had been raised to the Panhandle of Florida.  Things changed immediately most for the better.  Got away from the influx of tourists coming to see Mickey Mouse, the unreal expansion that was slowly devastating old Florida as we had known it the 1st part of our lives.  In the Panhandle deer hounds were still used but most of the terrain was so different I lost interest in fooling with hounds.  I had began to learn to hunt from a tree stand before we moved and found it very satisfying. 

Fast forward 35 years on one job, add about 11 years of retirement plus row crop farming, a small cow/calf operation and pine trees and that is where I find my self today.  I've killed my share of deer here in the Panhandle.  I've had some wonderful invitations to hunt some properties that were unbelievable.  At 1st we had to drive a good distance to deer hunt but in the last 25 years the deer population has increased to the point of being a danger on the roads and a pest in the farm fields.  I've hunted on the same small timberland lease for at least 25 years and now prefer to hunt in our backyard so to speak.  I built an elevated shooting house 20 years ago and have used it every year.  It sets on four power poles, the floor is about 14' off the ground. The house on top is 5'X7' with 7' ceiling and 2 old office chairs.  Hurricane messed it up back in 2018 when I was still posting here on the forum.  There are many tales I could share from just this one stand but I'd like to report on this past season maybe to catch up and get back into the swing of things.  Not much has changed with me, I'm still a conservative, a Life Member of the NRA, a Bible believing Christian that loves to eat venison!

This year's season wasn't too bad, got plenty of meat in the freezer.  The grandsons weren't successful at Thanksgiving time as the year before.  I killed a doe on the last doe weekend in December with my .243.

On January 9th I shot an 8 point late in the afternoon here on our farm.  He ran into the downed timber and I figured I'd get the dog and she would go right to him.  When I shot the deer, there were 5 or 6 other deer in the field and the dog went nuts with all the scent.  I found the blood where he was standing and another place at the edge of the woods and I could see no more.  Stomped all over that block of downed timber with a light and the dog running back and forth just as happy as she could be.  I stuck a stick up in the 1st blood that was in the food plot and went to the house.  The next morning bright and early and fairly cool too, I went back with the dog and stuck her nose in the blood, she walked about 30 yards and stopped and looked back at me.  There he was.  He had turned back once he hit the downed timber and ran a few yards the other direction than the one he started in.  The bullet destroyed the lungs and liver but never exited the carcass, therefore no blood trail.  When I hung him and opened him up it was unbelievable the amount of blood that poured out.

The next buck came strolling out of the woods on February the 18th, about a half hour before dark.  He came from the opposite direction from the earlier buck.  He was looking for the girls but the .243 found him.  He dashed off into the downed pines but I saw him flip.  Still got the dog to keep her in practice.

The rut was still going strong when the season went out on March the 1st.  We have a late M/L season the last week and I decided to give it a go.  I hadn't even messed with my M/L rifle since last season, couldn't find "possibles bag", had to go buy another powder measure and just after opening the package I found all my stuff!  I decide to go to the lease as there was not going to be a shot further than 85 yards.  I usually work on my rifle and tune it up at a hundred yards but this time I just set a milk jug full of water at 85 yards and saw the jug explode.  I don't recommend such but it does work.  I wiped the bore with a patch and headed for the lease.  Right at dark, legal time was over a whole wad of deer came into the clay pit I was watching. They milled around and messed with the feed and a deer I couldn't identify came up in the bunch and seemed to be in charge.  I felt like this was a buck.  The next afternoon, February 25th, about 4:30, I was watching the same spot, when a doe and a yearling came to the little corn pile and began to feed.  All of a sudden the old doe took off.  The wind was in my favor, I hadn't moved and the yearling was still there. Then the yearling took off and I figured something was fixin' to happen.  A little 5 point stepped out and the when the smoke cleared there was white belly.

So I had a pretty good season, still have to grind our burger meat and make sausage.  The real good shoulder and neck goes into burger, the trimmings from the hams, the rib meat, shanks, are frozen separately and will become sausage.
That catches me up to the present and I'll not start fussin' about the corona virus and all the craziness of our country.
Treefarmer

Offline treefarmer

• 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 04:45:56 PM »
Well it looks like I've got to brush up on my posting skills, I've double posted a picture and left one out! @--0--0117
This is the one that I had to find the next morning.
Treefarmer

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 05:04:39 PM »
 ##$%#115 love the info you have been blessed my friend
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 05:55:36 PM »
Great story. Welcome back.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »
Hey, those are some nice Florida bucks - it'll keep you busy grinding all of that for sure.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad