New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Turkey Season and Benelli  (Read 491 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Turkey Season and Benelli
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:14:55 PM »
Got to get ready for the 2020 Turkey Season in Georgia.....have been hunting turkeys since the late 60's and have hunting them with a Remington 870 the old standard pump, the Browning BPS that I use for about 15 years, then it was the Mossberg 835 for about 7 years and for the past 10 years have been using the Super Black Eagle II and the Super Nova both a very good shotguns.....but got to get them to the range for some very needed checking to make sure they are still on......

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Turkey Season and Benelli
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:14:55 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Turkey Season and Benelli
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »
I retired the browning bps 10 ga last year after I got my last turkey with the last turkey load in my box. i'll be using my Benelli 12 ga from now on. it's much lighter and less recoil

I may miss this year depending on a family surgery though. it all depends on scheduling. we'll see 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 06:50:42 AM »
I have shot an older 10 gauge back in my teens and it kick me into yesterday (I saw stars!!! - LOL). Holy Cow and you just retired your 10 gauge....The 12 gauge in 2 3/4" worked for me for years and years and now I use the 3" #5 and they kick pretty good but over the years, I have gotten use to it.....but it does a number on the birds...

I have the 26" SBE II, which one do you have?...I have put a pistol grip and a Nikon turkey scope on my and put in a Pattern Master .670 choke in it......and the same thing for my 24" Super Nova, a pistol grip and a Nikon Turkey scope and Pattern Master .670. I always take a rangefinder with me and shoot the ranges during getting set up....then I start calling.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
I've been using 3" #5 or #6 loads all along for turkey, in an 870 or 11/87, with good results so no desire to move up to a 3.5" gun or a 10 gauge.  Hevi shot is still my favorite. The season is sneaking up on us, I drew a first season tag, so if the river stays down I'll hopefully be clucking and yelping the first week of April.

Good luck Yari on both the family medical procedure and the gobbler chase.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 09:03:44 AM by Madgomer »
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 09:37:13 AM »
Yes sir the old 10 ga is a thumper for sure...I use my 870 with 3 1/2 inch #5 shot and has served me well over the years. My biggest problem is two of my favorite past times is hunting and fishing. Our turkey season opens 3/21/20 and my annual Beck Bass tournament is 3/20 thru 3/28. My Dad always said when the dogwood's are blooming it's time to be on the water and that's so true...so I'll be doing some of both. I'm guessing more fishing than hunting as I've got a trip booked mid April to Savanna,Ga to fish for speckle trout and red fish. Best of luck to everyone...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 10:19:02 AM »
bo- I bought the BE w/ 24" barrel. I had no need for the SBE since I already had the 10 ga for geese. I shoot 3" #5's, which is plenty. actually, I haven't shot a turkey w/ it yet. plenty of sporting clays and snow geese though. it fits me perfect. never found a shotgun I could shoot better

thx mad. we are all getting older and things need fixin. we should be able to have a normal summer if it gets done soon
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
I still use a mossburg 835 with a 1 to 4 power scope on it we state may 1 till the 31 have not seen many birds in the last few years good luck to you all 
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
Speaking of turkey hunting, Midway USA has a gobbler gear giveaway going on, go to their website to enter.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 06:24:42 AM »
Split Toe - Thanks for the heads up about your Beck Man Fishing Tournament....I will be sure to mark my calendar....will be down at the club on the 3 or 4th of April for the my first trip down.....do me (and us at the club) a favor and Beck the man sometimes during the week...LOL...just let me know you schedule.....

Dave - both my Nikon Turkey scopes are 4X and that is more than I need but that is what it was back then when I bought them......

Yari - Wow, so you got the Super Nova (24" barrel) for the gobblers? and you still use the 10 gauge for geese....I have a 12 ga Browning A-5 with a 30" full choke for my geese it still kicks like a mule.....my standard load is a 3" shell using #5 shot for the old gobblers....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
bo- i have a BE (black eagle) not a nova.  the problem w/ you A-5 and full choke is shooting steel shot out of a full choke. that's a no no. you will turn that full choke into a modified choke. ie blow out your choke w/ steel shot
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 07:13:09 AM »
Yari - Thanks for the post...yes I have both the SBE2 and the Super Nova as well both are identical, of course one has the 26" barrel and the other has the 24" barrel...I have not fire any steel ammo in the A5 yet, just the old lead shot. It has a 30" barrel, good for geese and other high flying birds....but thanks for the heads up....no steel shot!! have you tired tungsten shot yet ??

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 10:14:57 AM »
Yari - Thanks for the post...yes I have both the SBE2 and the Super Nova as well both are identical, of course one has the 26" barrel and the other has the 24" barrel...I have not fire any steel ammo in the A5 yet, just the old lead shot. It has a 30" barrel, good for geese and other high flying birds....but thanks for the heads up....no steel shot!! have you tired tungsten shot yet ??

no tungsten yet. i really don't hunt many geese anymore. on the rare occasion i'll pop a few. i'm more than flush on steel shot, so no need to buy any more shotgun shells
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »
Yari - Thanks for the reply....yea, like you I don't hunt geese anymore. It has been years since I have shot the old Browning A5.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad