New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Protein Feeders  (Read 155 times)

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
Protein Feeders
« on: February 16, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »
Well we decided to make the move from the battery spin corn feeders to gravity fed protein feeders.  Quite honestly, we only used the battery spin feeders to tag a few does as the hogs mess the whole area up every time.  We prefer to hunt food plots.  We put one 50# bag of corn in first to get them used to it then four 50# bags of 20% protein pellets the rest of the way (250 lbs total although it said it is 300 lbs).  These are Banks Feeders.  We put a 6" PVC pipe over the 4x4 to keep coons from climbing the post (by the way, coons can be hunted year round in OK now).  I will give it a few weeks then put cameras on them to see what's happening.  The reason behind the change is, I have multiple pictures of three separate bucks from last year to this year with minimal, if any, growth (including the one I killed).  Let's see what happens!   

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Protein Feeders
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
what no white stuff on the ground
turkey season is 1 month away

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »
Ben - how old do you think that big dude was that you took last year?  Might have been getting to his full potential?  Will be curious to hear how your results work out on this, and if the hogs learn to bang around on the post to get the pellets to drop to the ground. 

Knocking off coons year round will probably be a good thing for your bird populations out there - - would expect the turkeys, quail, pheasants, and any other ground nesters will be glad to have fewer predators eating their eggs.  I knock them off whenever I can but I think all of the tree frogs and bullfrogs around my pond are calling in every coon in the county - seems like an endless supply of them here (like your hogs, but a little less messy).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 10:32:22 PM »
I wish they were legal in WI. bears would destroy them at the cabin, but around here it would be nice. I hope it works for you
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 06:59:01 AM »
Ben,
Sounds like a plan to me.

I take my spin feeder down a month before deer season so the big bucks who do not know the area will come in.
I have pictures of does looking up at my feeder when I put it back out and you can tell they know I had not put corn in it yet.
I'm still trying to train my does to come in the morning, they love evening and I hate hunting then!   @--0--0105

Good Luck.

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline King Ben

• 2016 TH Ultimate Outdoorsman
  • 10 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 07:40:36 AM »
Mad - I'm guessing he is 5.5 years old but that is only a guess as I have only been here two hunting seasons.  The taxidermist is saving his jaw for me.  They have a pretty neat process in OK now for age determination.  Instead of mailing the lower jaw, you simply take a couple of pictures at certain angles and e-mail the pictures to the wildlife department.  Makes it a lot simpler.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 08:46:17 PM »
I've never spent much time in the past trying to figure out their age by examining the teeth but dove into it last fall with my archery buck.  I'm on the fence as to whether he was 3.5 or 4.5 years.  Different aspects of the jawbone point to different answers.  Antler mass leans me towards 3.5 but body size and structure makes me think 4.5 might be possible.  Saved a picture in case I find a smart person to give me an opinion.
and enjoy it!

Online MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »
It's ilegal in MI to bait or feed deer, due to the cwd. Even when it was legal to bait, you were restricted to no more than 2 gallons of feed per day, spread over 100 sq ft.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online yari

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
It's ilegal in MI to bait or feed deer, due to the cwd. Even when it was legal to bait, you were restricted to no more than 2 gallons of feed per day, spread over 100 sq ft.

in WI it's 2 gallons per day and it has to be in a pile. how stupid is that if you want to discourage CWD? the DNR isn't too bright
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 06:48:59 PM »
Yari, Wisconsin deer are different than Michigan deer, those wise wildlife biologists in the DNR know these subtle differences and draw up their rules accordingly.  That is the only plausible explanation.
 ##$%#114 --099-780 ##$%#114 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Online yari

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 09:38:46 PM »
Yari, Wisconsin deer are different than Michigan deer, those wise wildlife biologists in the DNR know these subtle differences and draw up their rules accordingly.  That is the only plausible explanation.
 ##$%#114 --099-780 ##$%#114 --099-780

WI hired a wildlife expert for big bucks, DR James kroll, to manage our herd. nothing has changed. too many wolves, baiting in piles, too many bears....
money well spent?????????????
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad