New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Trying to make a decision  (Read 532 times)

Offline millers800

• 2017 TalkHunting Turkey Hunting Champion
  • 7 Point
Trying to make a decision
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
Hey guys im in need of some assistance from someone who knows more than I do. Im looking to pick up a rifle in .223, also in left handed, for use on coyotes and varmints. My sportsman's warehouse has a couple savages that ive been looking at, one is 11 trophy hunter xp with a Nikon 3-9x40 with a bdc reticle with a 22" barrel. The other is the 110 apex hunter xp with a vortex crossfire 3-9x40 which also has a bdc reticle and a 20" barrel. The 110 apex is $50 more, my question is what exactly is the difference in the 2 rifles, with them being packages I imagine the scopes are on the cheaper side. I am however not able to find any difference in the guns themselves, both come with the accu trigger. Does anyone have any info on the differences or opinions either way, thanks.

TalkHunting Community

Trying to make a decision
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:37:42 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Trying to make a decision
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 04:36:54 PM »
I think the guns are close to being the same I would go with the one with the vortex scope at Nikon is stopping selling scope
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 05:15:01 PM »
I think the guns are close to being the same I would go with the one with the vortex scope at Nikon is stopping selling scope

good point. I would go w/ the vortex scope
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:29:23 PM »
I would go with 22" barrel for coyotes. I have 5 Savage bolts, 4 lefthand. They all shoot lights out. I reload for everyone. One with Nikon scope. Zero never moved in 6 years. Clear scope. Vortex scopes have a great warranty. If it was me I would get the gun I wanted. Scope is easier to replace than gun. Triggers are same, is stock the same? I would contact Sportsman Warehouse or email Savage.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
That barrel length difference is probably worth about 40 fps, not a lot, so get a feel for the balance and fit for you and pick the one that feels best.  I have 4 at the moment, and my 20" AR and 22" Ruger bolt gun both shoot great.  The Ruger has a light barrel profile and is a joy to carry, easy to hold for offhand shots.  I also have a bull barrel single shot that is not very functional in the field without a rest (way too nose heavy).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline millers800

• 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
I'm not really worried about the barrel length, I was just curious if anyone knew if there were differences in the stock or one was higher quality or a updated version.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 09:20:58 PM »
As I tried to search on line for an answer to your question, I could not find a definitive one.  Here's what I see:

The 10/11 are short actions vs. the 110/111 being long actions, so if you're thinking .223, you'd be looking at the 10 or the 11. 
General trend is that the 11 is a little bit of an upgrade from the 10 series, BUT . . . there is so much overlap between the two
series that depending what options are on the guns, a 10 sitting on the shelf next to an 11 may actually be a better speced gun
(wood vs. synthetic, accu trigger vs not, polished blue vs. matte finish, box vs blind magazines, etc).
Sounds like Savage doesn't worry too much about drawing a clear line between the two - of all the comments I saw though, they
were 100% positive, no one had anything bad to say about either one. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 07:13:06 AM »
Did you make a decision yet?
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline millers800

• 7 Point
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 11:25:56 PM »
I do believe ive decided to go with the more expensive one, it looks to be a bit nicer from what I can see. However it seems to be out of stock for now so im just kinda sittin on my hands.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 05:32:38 AM »
Miller - There are a bunch of rifles out there that do run from $500 to $2500 most of them do come in left handed.....I would spend about a grand to 1100 on just the rifle and another at least 500 to 1000 for the scope....and when it comes to the 223, everybody make them, I mean everybody.....focus of the Browning's, the Savage's, Remington's, Winchester's. Those are you big boys. You could get a Remington and then upgrade it with a new barrel, next year or so...or for a coyote like BP says, a 22" would be my min for barrel length with a 20" heavy barrel for starters....new or use rifles humm, with a 223 you cannot go wrong, with good quality ammo out there you cannot go wrong.

You do have a ton of choices out there, either a bolt or semi-auto, the selection is great...it may take you several months to narrow the field down but when you do....you will know it.....

Have you thought about Sauer, or Mauser or even Mossberg? How bout a Bergara? Not sure about the left handed option on these rifles but know the big boys do have them and they make runs of these rifles during sometimes during the year or last year......

But the gun, the scope and the ammo choice you have are incredible out there for the caliber you want...just let us all know what you end up with.....Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad