New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: 224 Valkyrie  (Read 97 times)

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
224 Valkyrie
« on: February 04, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
Bought an AR-15 with 24" barrel with 1:6.5 twist. Will use 224 Valkyrie mostly for pdogs. Working up a load with CFE223 and Hornady 88 grain VLD Match. Any experience with would like to hear about. Any thoughts and comments would be appreciated.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Re: 224 Valkyrie
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2020, 06:40:15 PM »
Gobi,
I have a 1:8 AR in .223 Wylde that I spent a fair amount of time trying to find a good load for.  Granted it's not a Valkyrie but will share what mine liked.  I tried H335 and CFE223 and Varget (and a couple others I cannot recall).  I was trying to find a good load for 60-62 grain pills (Barnes TTSX and Sierra Varminter).  Varget was the one I settled on, and frankly CFE223 was one of the worst performers (from an accuracy perspective) in that gun.  I was really expecting good things out of the CFE223 based on what a co-worker was telling me but I just couldn't find a good recipe with those pills.  Your faster twist and heavier pill might create a very different outcome of course.   Benchmark is my preferred powder for lighter pills in a couple of other rifles with slow twist - but from what I've seen and read I don't think it will serve you well for the 88 grain VLD but Varget might be worth looking at if CFE223 doesn't meet your expectations.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
Gobi      A guy from work has a AR in a 224 Valkrie. He really likes it and says the accuracy is great. He is shooting factory ammo out to 800 yards or so. His is a 6.5 twist also but the 90 grain bullets didn't shoot good so he went to a 77 grain bullet now. This spring he wants to shoot it to 1 mile but I think he may be in for a real challenge.       I shoot the 80 grain Nosler custom Competition bullets out of my 8 twist 22-250 AI and the accuracy is excellent and the bullets are reasonably priced too. Good luck and stretch it out and see how far you can blow up some prairie dogs.

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:22 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. Good to hear. I was figuring 900 yards would be my maximum. I have a 223 Wylde. Shoot 55 grain Noslers with CFE223. The AR likes them. If the CFE223 doesn't work out for the Valkyrie. I will try Varget. If that doesn't work out. I'll try the 77 grains. I also have a 22-250 in 1:12. Shoots 55 grain Noslers lights out. Pdog at 623 yards. A 22-250AI with 1:8 twist should be like a Valkyrie on steroids. Thanks again for your reply.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »
Gobi     When I was went to order the barrel for my 22-250 AI, I contacted Hart rifle barrels and was going to build the rifle around the 90 grain Sierra bullet with a 6.5 twist. The guy I talked to at Hart told me I would have to "download" my rifle to shoot the 90 grain with a 6.5 twist. Velocitys would be to fast for the 6.5 twist shooting 90 or 95 grain bullets. My 2nd choice was to shoot 80 grain bullets at about 3300 fps. Hart rifle barrels recommended a 8 twist barrel and it definitely was a good choice.  The 3 shot groups at 600 yards are under 3 inches and I have put it on paper to 1200 yards. 80 grain Nosler Custom Competition bullets were on sale so I bought 1000 and the rifle seems to like them.    Keep us informed on your progress and enjoy.

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »
Awesome info, notsams.

Were in the middle of a cold spell right now. Once weather warms up. I will head to the range. Will update then.

New Page 3

Google Ad