New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: How about the .350 Legend?  (Read 474 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
How about the .350 Legend?
« on: January 25, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
For those of you fortunate enough to hunt in states that allow bottlenecked centerfire rifle cartridges for deer and such, this is probably not of much interest.  However, for those of us in states where such things are not allowed, or for people living in hog infested areas looking for a good truck gun, or for people who are sensitive to recoil & muzzle blast, this new cartridge (came out last year at SHOT show) might be of interest.

Winchester launched this last year at SHOT.  They chamber a bolt gun for it, as do Ruger and Savage, and CMMG is selling it in an AR15 platform (only requires a barrel swap and minor mag modification).  There are always critics for anything of course, and frankly Winchester's marketing team is making some claims that are overinflated, but setting all of that aside this looks like a pretty nice option for people in those states which allow straight walled centerfire rifles only (or shotguns) for deer such as MI, IN, and OH, and it also looks more viable than the .300 BO for hogs too.

Depending on what rules of thumb you like to follow, this is a 150-200 yard cartridge based on what I'm reading.  If Illinois ever decides to allow straight walled rifle cartridges for deer (currently handgun only for centerfire) I think I'd have to grab one of these.  Yeah the .450 Bushmaster & other thumpers are out there for that purpose, but this one is carrying the mail without the heavy recoil and muzzle blast that goes with those big boys.  I was shooting my friend's .458 SOCOM the other day (AR) after we got the chamber reworked, and frankly it wasn't much fun.  Anyone have any experience with the .350 yet?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

How about the .350 Legend?
« on: January 25, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: How about the .350 Legend?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 12:36:51 PM »
Been thinking about buying  a complete upper, but that is as far as it's gotten. FWIW, I almost pulled the plug on a 450 Bushmaster upper, but the company would only accept credit or debit card payments.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 12:52:11 PM »
Louie - I haven't fired a .350 yet but from all of the reading I've been doing (and a little you-tubing) I think you would find it to be a more friendly gun on the ears, shoulder, and wallet without giving up a lot of performance for things like deer and certainly your woodchuck friends vs. the .450.   It's basically using the same case as a .223 but without the shoulder, and loaded to the same COAL dimension of 2.26 with .357 bullets.  Hornady, Winchester (of course) and Federal all have loads on the shelf for it now.
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 02:03:00 PM »
Roger, the reason I was looking at the 450 BM, was that the price on the upper was only $229. Plus shipping. The same upper in 350 L was going close ti $300. Besides, a friend has the dies for the BM, and offered to let me use them, with the caveat that I load a few rounds for him.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 02:59:29 PM »
since IA made these legal, they really got popular. the guys I know that use them, love them.

wouldn't a savage 220 be just as good w/ more thump?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 03:28:32 PM »
since IA made these legal, they really got popular. the guys I know that use them, love them.

The 220 slug gun is pretty awesome for sure and definitely packs a stronger wallop - I think the attraction for the .350 legend is the relatively low recoil, low cost per round, etc.  It would be a gun that a newbie could get comfortable with through a lot of practice without spending as much money and getting flinchy.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »

The 220 slug gun is pretty awesome for sure and definitely packs a stronger wallop - I think the attraction for the .350 legend is the relatively low recoil, low cost per round, etc.  It would be a gun that a newbie could get comfortable with through a lot of practice without spending as much money and getting flinchy.

you are a big boy. you can handle the recoil.  @--0--0105 being a 20 ga, I can't believe it's too bad?

what is the cost per round on the 350? I know some slugs can get pricey
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 06:21:06 PM »
Factory ammo data points for you from AmmoSeek:  145 gr FMJ is starting at about $.42/round, with the 180 gr soft point at about $.75 per round. Reloads of course should be a bit cheaper.  The slugs I believe are in the $2/round range if I recall correctly - at least the stuff that Savage recommends.

I'm not planning to move away from my smokepole for deer hunting, but if I ever do get a crack at hunting piggies it might be a good option but currently I could pull out my old 7.62X39 for that also.  I do think it would be a great way to get newbies into the deer woods though.  I dropped a little note to my DNR friends today to see if it's something being considered - I'd have to think that with IA/IN/OH/MI doing it that they've at least discussed it.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 08:06:05 PM »
I heard the $2 per round number to. I haven't looked into it. I don't think it will be shot more than a few times per year once it is dialed in. I doubt it will be a recreational shooter.

i'll let you know if Emily draws a tag @--0--0131 @--0--0131
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 09:17:44 PM »
I heard the $2 per round number to. I haven't looked into it. I don't think it will be shot more than a few times per year once it is dialed in. I doubt it will be a recreational shooter.

Hope she does.  That slug gun should be a good bear stomper, but not something you'll shoot a lot for sure.

I keep sniffing around for a place to shoot pigs.  Had to laugh tonight when I looked at the web site for Shady Grove Outfitters - they had a guy come in who apparently travels around and does food reviews, and he decided to do a video piece on wild hogs.  He shows up at Shady Grove and apparently had never fired a gun before.  They take him to the range and on the second shot he splits his eyebrow open on the scope (you could see it coming).  Make sure Emily has some decent eye relief on that 220! 
and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 10:19:34 PM »
The 450 beats the 350  all day long.  I would only consider the 350 for kids or people who cannot handle the recoil of the 450.

The 350 also suffers from some spec issues.  Not all 350's are exactly the same, there has been some deviation.  That alone kind of concerns me.

That said I am in a raffle for one.  I bought the tickets before I discovered it's troubled beginnings.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 09:54:30 AM »

Hope she does.  That slug gun should be a good bear stomper, but not something you'll shoot a lot for sure.

I keep sniffing around for a place to shoot pigs.  Had to laugh tonight when I looked at the web site for Shady Grove Outfitters - they had a guy come in who apparently travels around and does food reviews, and he decided to do a video piece on wild hogs.  He shows up at Shady Grove and apparently had never fired a gun before.  They take him to the range and on the second shot he splits his eyebrow open on the scope (you could see it coming).  Make sure Emily has some decent eye relief on that 220!

it's always fun around here the week after gun season to see who got scope eye and probably never fired their gun before season. it's a sad comment on the state of gun 'hunters'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad