New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Remington 700 Modifications.....  (Read 1029 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Remington 700 Modifications.....
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »
Yari - I own about 40 Leupold scopes and could tell you that only a handful of them that I sent back. One time I sent 5 back at one time, they could not fix them but they did send me 5 new scopes all with the 1/8" tall target knobs on them...all VX2 4-12X with AO (from the objective end of the scope) all matte finish. The are still on my 5 Remington Sendero's today!!

You are so right, they are a very good company....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 03:57:57 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
I have been trolling the internet looking at various rifle manufacture sites.  There are too many to list here.  I keep going back to Remington.  I have a Remington 722 in YES 308.  I have always liked Remington's.  Bo those mods are nice. a box mag is a nice addition.  Never thought about that.  Thinking about a 3006 cal.  I already have a scope just need something to put it on.  Need to save my pennies.  I just spent all my hidden funds on a new shotgun. 

Bo Keep us posted on your progress and range results. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
Finished up the third of three today a MagPul mag well kit. The first one was a 308 the second one was the 7mm-08 and the third and final one was a 243....see picture...all three can use the same magazine. They fit up after a bunch of filing with a good rasp file....and it doesn't hunt to have a smaller rasp file and a triangle file as well...

did the test a few minutes ago and they all feed up nicely. Have 5 round with out the primer or powder in the case. It is a resize case and the bullet in it. have them for all three calibers 243, 7mm-08 and a 308....ran though them and all of the magazine worked just fine...Remember that these magazines come in 5 and 10 shot magazines. I own 6 additional magazines 3 - 5 shot and 3 - 10 shot magazines, the count does not include the magazines that are currently located in the rifles as show.....

All in all, I'm am a happy camper now....

Deerhead if you have wooden stock on you Rem 722, then it is going to take sometime and patients to do the mods....all of my stock on the Rem Varmints are HS Precision with the Aluminum insert in the bedding of the stock. Heck it normally takes me 3 days to do one and the stocks as you can see are fiberglass. But with wood you want to be a little finer with the fit up in the rifles.....The kit was $77 to my door.
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 07:06:37 PM »
nice work bo. look great
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2020, 06:38:22 AM »
Thanks Yari - being retired it should take me only a day to do the filing and sanding involved, but since my wife has retired also, she has to be my first priority.....in the morning we do all our running around and in the afternoons I listen to Rush and do some filing during the commercials...have to do it outside to insure that you don't inhaled the fiberglass and aluminum dust that you will stir up.....the first time I got a huge splinter and had to wait a couple of days until it worked its way out, then I put on the gloves and went though about 12 pair in the process of all three rifles....

I know Deerhead and knowing his great work ethic, he will put the time in to do it right...especially with wood....

thanks again....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2020, 09:09:10 AM »
Just curious Bo, where you hunt is there a limit on how many cartridges you can have in the gun while hunting?  Putting a ten round mag in a hunting gun would seem like a lotta weight and bulk, but I'm sure people are out there hunting with full thirty rounders in their ARs.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 06:18:15 AM »
Mad - have twice as many 5 shot clips as I do the 10 shot clips...LOL...yea, I thought the 10 shot clips were a little to much.....before I installed the 5 (5 in the mag and one down the pipe - for a total of 6 shots) shot Magpul 5 shots magazine had Badger Ordinance (BO) 3 shot clips installed on 308 and the 7mm-08...they would hold 2 rounds each and one down the pipe for a total of three shots. Had a total of three BO magazines one for each rifle and one back up....

Where I hunt is the are where maybe I can get a clear 75 yard shot....most of the time all I need is one shot, but it sure is nice to have 5 as back up....the reason I bought the 10 shot is because at Buds Gun Shop in Sevierville, TN they are often cheaper than the 5 shot magazines, only by two bucks of so, but every time I go to the TN Smokies game I will stop in and check them out to see what is new and what is used....as I said before I have probably 6 or 7 - 5 shot magazines and only 3 - 10 shot magazines....I agree that where I hunt there is no need for the 10 shot magazine.....and on my AR I often use the 5 - 10 - 20 shot magazines. I think I have more 20 round magazines than any of the 5 or 10 shot variety.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 06:50:44 AM »
Yeah Bo, I prefer a 5 round mag in my AR for yote chasing too, but you're right about the price, they're more expensive than a 10 or 20 rounder and harder to find too.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 07:05:52 AM »
A few years back a TN hunting buddy of mine passed away with pancreatic cancer. It was a short time from diagnosis to he got called home....I stopped by his house and picked up a Remington 700. He had put a cheap fiberglass stock on it and he told me that he bought it as a ADL back in 1983, (think that Remington made the 7mm-08 a standard production rifle starting in 1981). It followed me home with a Leupold VX2 scope on it.....

All I did was to take it to the range about 10 times in the last two years and it shot about 5 shot - 2" to 2.5" groups at 100 yards...thinking this was it norm. Oh no, did I get a lemon? maybe not....for some time at the range, did fit the old dollar bill between the stock and barrel to make sure that it was free floating and that the barrel did not touch the stock, even though the replacement stock was fiberglass.

This weekend I took the rifle completely apart and gave it a good cleaning, have a Remington tool that takes the firing pin out from the bolt assembly. So while it was down, I file and sanded down the stock a bit to make sure it was touching the stock in any way. It was touching on the left hand side and the dollar bill would not slide though....so had to sand and file that down some.

Next came to Badger Ordinance Drop Box Magazine assemble that I had in my old 308 and 7mm-08 Remington Varmint rifles....I have two extra magazines for it now. Went ahead and found all three magazines and then installed the drop box magazine into the old 7mm-08 ADL.....it was time and tedious work, but it is done now.....all I have to do is to load up some more 139 gn Hornady or 140 gn Sierra Game Kings for it and take it to the range to check it out.....

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2020, 06:02:03 AM »
The 7mm-08 Remington Varmint originally had a Leupold VX3 4-14X x 40mm and while I had it apart thought I would send the scope back to Leupold because of the Power Ring was very hard to turn....I mean to took two hands to move the power ring on the scope...and you should not have to take the scope down from you shoulder to change power on your scope...this has been like this for many years and so I thought it was a good time to send it back make an adjustment and mount it back on the Remington....

Well after sending and waiting nearly two weeks, it took it a week to get there! Got an email from Leupold after two weeks stating that it would be 7 weeks before they could get to it....that was before the Covid19 Virus shut down everyone!! Wonder how long it will be before I get the scope back....in the mean time, mounted a Vortex CF2 3-9X x 40mm on the Remington.....We shall see!! and I will keep you posted on what happening with the scope.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 06:47:46 AM »
On the three modification that I did to the 243, the 7mm-08 and the 308, the 7mm-08 I had was a feed problem....so I was torn the 7mm-08 down down to it's core and was looking and deciding on which way to go....I could either file out the feed ramp to make it a .020 longer so it would accept those longer bullets or shorten the bullet.....decided on the last option, shortening the bullet. I have some dummy (like me) rounds for all my calibers (the dummy rounds are the cases and the bullet but not any primers or powder in them they are a shell of just the case and the bullet).

So, when I got the real bullets out, measured them and sure enough they were the old 140 gn Sierra Gameking bullets were the .025 of an inch shorter....LOL....so I did not have to adjust anything, just a needless worry that is just me....daaa....Now all three caliber that had the MagPul P5 Magazine kits installed in them is OK....

Funny, all three of the dummy rounds (243, 7mm-08 & 308) have pointed bullets seated in them. I think I will measure from now own before thinking about filing.....just shorten the bullet which will effectively change the accuracy of it.....hummm....but it is better than filing the ramp to accept longer bullets!!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 09:37:14 AM »
Wow, Dave’s Gun Room. That is where I bought my Mossberg 835 Ultimag Pump 12Ga 3 ˝”.

Dropped a lot of turkey with that gun!

As i got older that shotgun was like firing the main gun off the USS Missouri

I had to tone down to Beretta A300 Outlander 3”
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's