New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Remington 700 Modifications.....  (Read 990 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Remington 700 Modifications.....
« on: January 24, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »
It all started out when I was at the old River Bend Gun Club in Atlanta in 1978....got married for the first time, move to Norcross, GA (frist of three houses in Norcross that we live in) and then joined River Bend Gun Club all in the same year! After having some SWAT guys from another county stopped and did some mandatory practicing to keep their skills sharp and was there on a late lunch and talking with the Range Master when these two guys showed up in the suits, sun glasses, small hubcaps and short antenna on their car. After they set up their human silhouette targets, the Range Master said out loud "wonder what kind of hunting they do"......well anyway we wondered down to where these guys were shooting and they were shooting really good groups both had glossy Remington 700 Varmint BDL, both in 308's and both had Leupold VX2 6-18X scopes on the rifles....

So a few months later found myself on a plane to Baton Rouge every week for the next 14 months, putting away $100 a week for my first 308, A Remington 700 Varmint BDL.....after a month had $400 saved up so I went to Dave's Gun Room in Norcross, GA I told Dave and Mary to ordered me my first 308! so another week past bought me a Leupold VX2 3-9X glossy scope....and finally had time to take it to the range. Bought me a box of Federal Preimum 165 gn factory ammo and shot it up (Saved the brass of course)

Then after a few years had saved enough money to buy me a cheap fiberglass stock for it....well a few years after buying the cheap fiberglass stock was in North Florida and dropped it out the tree, had my trusty back up that I used....when I got back to civilization went ahead and ordered a good expensive fiberglass stock....that is the way it is today....except....purchased a Shilen Trigger for both as well....adjusted down to 2.5 lbs.....where it stays it today....

About 10 years ago, went out and got a Badger Ordinance Magwell for it. By this time, had two of the Remington 700 BDL one in 308 and the other one is in 7mm08. Did the same mods on the 7mm08 as I did on the 308....those were my first twins. The Badger Ordinance only holds 3 rounds in it......have one extra magazine between the two rifles....

Now, to finish up this post, about 6 months ago, put a Magpul Magwell in both rifles. The latest mods started about 6 months ago when I was visiting Bud's Gun Shop in Sevierville and saw a Magpul Magwell Kit and thought that it would look good on my 7mm08.....so I bought it and installed it a few days later....it look so good I went out to Buds and bought another one and installed it on my 308....so it looks good now and can use either a 5 shot or 10 shot magazines in it....

The Remington 700 has been though a lot of modifications...and wonder what the next one is ??.......

Thought I would share this with you......Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Remington 700 Modifications.....
« on: January 24, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Remington 700 Modifications.....
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 05:39:44 PM »
The only mid I have made to my 700 was to remove the adl trigger guard and install a trigger guard off a bdl la 700. I had to remove some wood, but all the metal fit perfectly. Another mod was to convert the safety, to allow the bolt to be opened, while locking the trigger. Found out about this mod in an article in Guns n Ammo magazine. Now I can unload the rifle without having to disengage the trigger safety. Last mod was to remove both front and rear sights, plug the holes  then install a 3x9 Bushnell scope on it. At the time, Bushnell only had 3 grades of scopes. Mine was the lowest grade.  Rifle wasn't legal to deer with it in my area, but I could shoot paper with it. Almost 40 yrs later, still not legal for deer in my area.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 05:53:16 PM »
Louie, just curious what drove your trigger guard swap. I'm not up to speed on the model 700 variants.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 07:52:49 PM »
As always, great info, Bo. I own one in .243 with 26" heavy barrel. Was average accuracy until I but in a Timney trigger. Use 87 grain Berger bullets cuts dogs in half at 400 yards.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:27:50 AM »
Roger, the Adl model has a blind magazine, to unload it, you have to cycle the bolt 4 times. The Bdl has a hinged floor plate. To unload it, just release the floor plate and any shell in the magazine will drop out. You still need to cycle the bolt once to clear the chamber. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 08:41:49 AM »
Got it, makes sense.  I'm definitely not a fan of blind mag wells.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »
I've attached a couple of photos showing the 308 Remington 700 Varmint with the new box (AICS) style box magazine that was installed late last year....the other photo shows the 7mm-08 Varmint action and what is in progress now is the modification of the stock (in the garage) being filed out so that the Magpul mag well will fit up in there. It took me a week to do it by hand on the 308 but have the bits to grind the stock down in hours instead of days.....

As you can see the 243 is in the wings waiting on the Magpul mag well to get here. It should arrive Wednesday (2-5-2020)...the 7mm-08 should be finished by then.....so all three (308 Win, 7mm-08 Rem, 243 Win) magazines well will be modified soon, very soon....

The good thing about this is that all three take the 308 box (AICS) style magazine!! pictures of all 3 to follow.....

Forgot to mention that with the grinding bits you got to use latex gloves so the little splinters do get into your hands....I finally dug one out of my finger after two days....it turned out to be a piece of the aluminum bedding block that comes in the fiberglass stocks......
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:18:26 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 09:10:59 AM »
bo- I think you forgot the pics
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 09:19:47 AM »
Yari - Sorry about that...they are attached now....I was busy watching fox and friends when I slip up and hit post!! my fault.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
very nice. looks like you need to put on an addition. you are out of room @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
Yari - Yea you are right, need a bigger house!!! and somewhere between 50 and 100 acres.....for testing the loads.....the room is filling up fast....need to quit buying "stuff"....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 07:10:37 PM »
Just got though filing for about 30 minutes on the 243 HS Precision stock for the MagPul mag well kit. No pictures yet have not gotten far enough along to take them yet....but this is the third one and final one I will do...it will take me a week to get this one just right...but once I got through second one tested it with some dummy rounds, that is the bullet seated with the standard COAL....of course the bullet and brass doesn't have a primer or any powder in them. Had three dummy 7mm-08 with the 160 gn Partitions in them. I loaded them up in 1995 before the wife and I went out for her elk hunt in Colorado......but did test it using those dummy rounds and everything was smooth.....

Did write and send my Buddy down in Atlanta (Randy) who actually purchase his 7mm-08 Remington Varmint back a year after I bought my first varmint 308 and then the following year he bought the 7mm0-08 Varmint and then the following year after that is when I bought my 7mm-08 Varmint....his son loves the 7mm-08 Varmint so I think he will go buy and have his son (must be in his 40's now) do the mods work...very simply, if you have a file you can do it....

As I said before have a ton of 5 round AICS magazines and you can get the 10 shot magazines and they are about the same price as the 5 shot...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 06:13:48 PM »
Attached are a couple of pictures of the 243 HS Precision Stock and the Magpul Kit. This will be the third of three that I have done....when I get through will post pictures of all three rifles (308 Win, 7mm-08 Rem and 243 Win)....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 03:48:18 PM »
Had a Leupold VX3 setting on top of the 7mm-08 Remington Varmint. Because it was hard (and I mean very hard) to turn the power ring on the darn scope, took it off and put a Vortex Crossfire II on it.....

Will send the scope back to Leupold and see what they can do with it....I think I have had to scope about 20 to 25 years.....It is a very nice scope.....

But it has a "Bore Sighted Only" orange tag hanging on the barrel now.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »
I had the same thing w/ my leo that I sent back. that was one of the many things they fixed at no cost. great company!
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad