New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Inexpensive Range Finder  (Read 778 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Inexpensive Range Finder
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
Guys - If anybody is looking for a inexpensive rangefinder in the off season here you go.....I bought the brother of this one, a Huepar, it is identical to it. I like mine so much that Split Toe bought one just like it....and this one is half price at $51 for a limited time.....

Enjoy.....Bo

https://www.amazon.com/SUAOKI-Digital-Laser-Rangefinder-Scope/dp/B018FVPNDY/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=range+finder&qid=1579828660&smid=A135PKI6ZI5AQI&sr=8-29
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Inexpensive Range Finder
« on: January 23, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Inexpensive Range Finder
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 08:24:23 PM »
golf rangefinder read different then hunting one they reflect off different stuff
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 04:48:01 AM »
Dave - I agree - the rangefinder I have has a golfing mode in it but never use it in the golf mode.....have use the one that I have (Huepar) for a couple of years now and have found it very accurately and dependable....have not used my golf clubs for a few years now....I have mine of the hunting mode, just like this one...I am sure, becuase they are twins but found this one extremely inexpensive and for a limited time.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 04:25:35 PM »
good to know thanks bo
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 08:24:13 AM »
Just purchase another inexpensive rangefinder off of Amazon....another china knockoff. This one is the clone of the Huepar except much cheaper!! It is the Suaoki brand rangefinder for $59.99 plus tax and shipping. Order the wife some Myers cleaning so I order the Suaoki as well...

The spec on it is very impressive for a $60 buck rangefinder....it goes out to 656 yards (I'm sure that is reflected objects)...but for most of us under 300 yards it should work good. Will leave a positive of negative feedback for it after I have use it a while.....so be looking for that....It uses the same battery as the Huepar does, which is good, have purchased 10 of the CR2 batteries (Duracell from Amazon).....so only time will tell....did use the Huepar all of last year during the hunting season...and the only concern I had was the water resistant, so I did not get it wet at all last year. Same concern will go towards the new one I just ordered.....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018FVPNDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 11:05:19 AM »
Bo - was 300 yards about the limit of the Huepar on non-reflective targets?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 11:45:53 AM »
Mad - My personal limit is 400 yards, I feel like I should not ethically take game beyond 400 yards. I am not Dutch, by no means who once told me that he shot a running coyote at 1200 yards and he had 5 witnesses! I have taken Elk at 25 to 355 yards before with a 300 Win Mag, 7mm STW and a 7mm Rem Mag...taken 7 Elk in all. The first one was a legal rag horn 5x5 about 2.5 years old, should have waited another years or two, but shot a couple of old 4x4 that was going down hill, never taken on with a muzzle loader but had my chance at one. but a misfire cause me not to take the old bull at 33 yards....but my wife 6x6 monster rocking chair rack bull was the ticket!! a story we both today laugh at....I think I have posted it a few or many years ago....

Mad - I have never had the Huepar to register an non reflective object. I do remember standing on JAP51's porch and looking way up the hill about 750 yards away and it was a cloudy day, and it range it very nicely no reflective, a gray targets, all the leaves had come down....so I am not concerned with it at all....

I just got in the Suaoki range finder in.....hummm....I was a little concerned about the owner manual saying it was a golf only rangefinder...remembering what Yari had said about the golfing rangefinder being different than the hunting ones stuck in my head....so I am still a little concerned with the newer inexpensive rangefinder...It has to be the brother of the Huepar except with the shut off, the Suaoki does not have any shut off switch on it like the Huepar does. will take pictures of both of them and post them here....

But for you basic rangefinder it does work well, especially for $60. you have to set it up and remember which button to press...it does give you the angle in -/+ next to the anlge measurement...but unlike the Huepar, it down not figure the distance in down hill or up hill values. I will bet that it will eat batteries as well....the little CR2 battery on my Leica 900 Rangefinder has the battery changed one time in over 16 years. But I think, no know yet, that the Suaoki will eat up the battery a lot sooner than either the Huepar or the Leica will.....the Suaoki display stays on 30 seconds before it shuts off.....

What it does is to once you have hit your target, then let off and then the display will tell you the angle up or down from where you targets is...and that is it...nothing more or less....you can read the display either but looking into the eye piece or on the side display. The LED's are about 1/4" high so you won't need your glasses...LOL...

Have played with the Suaoki rangefinder for the last two hours, now it's time to go and play with it some more and take some pictures the Huepar and the Suaoki.....Suaoki does have a model exactly like the Huepar. The one I got was the inexpensive model....the Suaoki just like the Huepar costs runs with a couple of bucks of each other...go to Amazon and check them both or all three model out......   

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »
Pictures - Pictures - Pictures

The first one up is all nine (9) rangefinders that I own. The very first one, the one on the right hand side takes a 9V and is the largest one that is in the collection. It good to 800 yards. The very first one I owned, was a Bushnell 400 yard looks just like the 800 yard one. But I sold it as soon as the 800 yard came out.....the next one is the one I bought in 96 from Knob Creek Range up in KY. It is a Bushnell 600 yards and it much smaller...used it for many years...The Leica 1200 is my reference standard. It has great glass (you can use it as a 6X monocular) but it also takes a CR2 battery... 

Then came the smaller ones. The hand held ones the ones that uses the CR2 battery....next came another Bushnell this one was the Bone collector, then the Halo 450, then it was the Wosports, then came the Sig Sauer, then then Huepar and finally it is the Suaoki.......

Picture for the Suaoki and the Huepar on another post.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
Picture of the brothers.....the Sauoki and the Huepar.....they both are the same but different.....if I had my druthers I would spead the extra money and get the Huepar simple becuase it instantly calculates the true distance to the target....

As i said, both use the CR2 battery and both have eye diopter adjustments, both are 6X, but are water resistance....but the Huepar has the side panel shut off, you can turn it one or off, just depends of where you hunt at......

After using the Huepar for an entire season, it hard to say anything negative against it.....it is pretty darn good for the money that I spent on it and it is good up to a 1000 yards (reflective). The Huepar cost you an extra $50 more than the Sauoki and it may be worth it to others to spend the extra money. sure it not a big name rangefinder..but it do for the job you need it to.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 02:56:42 PM »
i would like to see the lanyard you use to carry all those in the woods w/ you --099-780 --099-780

FYI i hunted w/ a buddy that spent the money for a swarovski ranging/bino. the ranging part is terrible compared to my Leica. it was very very hard to read the numbers on the Swaro. i personally would have sent them back. you had to tilt them just right to get a reading. we all know how tough that would be under the pressure to shoot something. it was definitely not up to Swaro standards or prices 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 06:47:27 AM »
Yari - That is good to know, thanks for the info....hopefully Swaro will realize that they rush out a product that was ready to come out yet......

As far as the inexpensive rangefinder goes, so far it has been right on the money as far as distances goes. I use the Leica to check all the rangefinders against and the ranges of this one so far was 258 yards (in the back yard) to as close as 7 yards and it was spot on the money, but it was slow to put the screen the distance and the angle of the dangle the range finder was at.....

I will continue to use it in the back yard and at other places and will report back on the inexpensive range finder....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2020, 06:25:30 PM »
It was a cold day here in East Tennessee and was out on the deck about noon time and the wind was howling and the snow had just quit. Had my heavy duty jacket on and the Leica rangefinder was in one pocket and the other had the $60 Sauoki in it....despite the wind, and the snow and the cold temps, the Sauoki performed even at 258 yards...the thing I do like it it has a small window inside the range finder that is basically looking for the flag and the pole which gave me the right distance works for me...but again it is slow to register and gives you the +/- angle and that is all...but so far so good. find the product and good value for the money if anyone is looking for an inexpensive rangefinder.....

Maybe stayed outside for about 20 to 25 minutes doing the testing......

More to come.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
You crazy southerners . . . . I haven't worn a coat all week, and heck Yari's probably out in the driveway shoveling snow in his boxers!    --099-780 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 09:03:05 PM »
You crazy southerners . . . . I haven't worn a coat all week, and heck Yari's probably out in the driveway shoveling snow in his boxers!    --099-780 --099-780

you can only wish I had boxers on. remember, my neighbors can't see me ##$%#13 ##$%#15  TMI?  @--0--0105
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 09:36:00 PM »
Yes, I'm wishing, hoping, praying you had something on!
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad