New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: 6.5 (.264) Calibers  (Read 792 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: 6.5 (.264) Calibers
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »
i'm not anywhere in the same league as you. I have a handful of rifles. all mine have shot very well. the only issue I ever had was my 300WM. I was at my wits end(it wasn't a far journey @--0--0105) after fighting what use to be a real shooter for years, I finally sent the scope in to Leo and it was a total wreck. Leo fixed it at no cost. I replaced it w/ a Tract Toric for my SD trip. if it wasn't for SD, it might still be on it and frustrating me. I killed a lot of animals when the Leo it when it was 'broken'. it shot 'good enough', but definitely wouldn't group or adjust

that Leo is earmarked for my savage 220. BTW, I see there is a proposed bill in MN to ban the use of rifled shotguns because, wait for it.....  THEY ARE TOO ACCURATE. seriously!!! talk about idiots making laws
Too accurate??? Wow MN could be catching up to Md in the stupid law race.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 08:22:50 AM »
Bo, I currently have fixed gas blocks in all three of my ARs and in the one I built for my sister.  Zero function issues in any of them, but I've only shot "normal" supersonic loads in them.  I did my homework to make sure I had appropriate combinations of buffer weight, gas system length, gas port size, etc when gathering the parts for each build.  It's really a very tolerant platform unless you get into subsonic, or really short barrels, or go off the beaten path on buffer weights.

As for the tip pressure issue, that was not an AR but a Rossi single shot with a synthetic stock.  The way the forend was molded, the screw load all went through the synthetic material, either under the screw or through the lip on the front and into the barrel.  I removed enough material to free float the barrel and modified the mounting area so there was metal to metal load transfer between the screw and the barrel to keep things much more stable.  That gun was always terribly inconsistent from one outing to the next and terribly sensitive to how you held or supported the forend when shooting.  These two mods fixed that.  It's still not the best shooting .223 I own but is coyote worthy now inside of 150 yds. (back to your "accurate enough" conversation), while I have a couple others that can hold three quarter inch groups at 200 with the right handloads.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 06:54:56 AM »
Mad - Thanks for the info.....Yes, I was wondering about the tip pressure I had heard of the phenomenon and have not had any pressure issues related to the tip...primes yes cases yes....thanks for the additional info

I have 5 Ruger #1 and sent them all to E Author Brown Company in Minnesota and had the first one (a 7x57) had the works done to it, the front screw underneath the forearm and the trigger reduce to 3 lbs (from 6 lbs) and a load indicator....the problem with the Ruger #1 is that it would shot 1" groups and then take it to the range and it would shot a 3" groups and then a 2.5" group then a 1/2" group all with the same load....and the design of the Ruger #1 back 20 or so years ago really was very bad, it was a beautiful rifle and always have been...but the darn thing was just very inaccurate!! So I got frustrated after years and years of trying different loads thinking it had to be me......but after getting back the first one and after about another year of trying to get the set screw underneath the forearm set just right....it finally shot consistent 3/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yards......so then I sent the other 4 Ruger #1's up to them....and was busy trying to set them all up....finally got it done a couple of years ago....and getting the little screw set is a pain in the rear end, but it does work when you get it set up right....

just trying to help....Bo 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 04:31:22 PM »
Sorry about my lack of clarity Bo.  That Rossi single shot would have a reasonably tight spread from one outing to the next (provided I was consistent in how I supported the forend) but the shift in point of impact was huge (inches) from session to session.  Spent a lot of time on line trying to understand it, and was definitely not the only one fighting the problem.  The weird thing is, this is a bull barrelled rifle - I just couldn't believe that synthetic forend could have so much influence.  Once I corrected things to keep the forces on the barrel more consistent, it began to behave much better.  One other design flaw in this rifle is that the front sling loop is held on by the very same screw that attaches the forend to the barrel.  As you carry it or use the sling to steady your aim, that screw is moving, and adding to the inconsistency in how it shoots.  My little modification should minimize that effect too.  Again, this is all relative, as my definition of "better" in this case wouldn't matter to someone like Dutch who would still call it a "tomato stake"!
 @--0--0117

I keep thinking about sending off my #1 for accurizing as you've done, but haven't gotten that too far up the list yet . . .
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 05:05:55 PM by Madgomer »
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 06:23:05 AM »
Mad - I have found out over the years at the range that no matter what weight your barrel that the point of impact will move!! Whether it is cleaning (or lack of) or ammo or scope or anything, I always take the rifle to the range to make sure that the rifle shoots near (probably 1/2" or less) the point of impact that I want it too.....I will clean the rifle (like I have and believe me I do clean a lot) and then take it to the range a least twice before declaring it ready for the woods...

But what is unique about me, is that I will (and do have a list of what I took to the GA Hunting 2019-2020 season) take these rifle to the range after the season is over and will (and have not this year) take these rifles and see if they are still on the mark after the season is over....then I will clean these rifles and put them away for the year, but so far so good, I have been doing this for years and years now and not mention it to anyone here until now.....

So the Rossi is a good rifle to shoot and yes the forearm pressure does make a difference and the weather should not effect the synthetic forearm.....I would send it off and have someone take a look at it whether you need to support it in another part of the barrel? but you. take a good look at the overall "health" of the Rossi and make sure that it is you that is not causing the effect of it....like I have in the past....yes I sent the Ruger #1 out but that was after years and years of looking over the design and trying to put anything onto the barrel to make it stiffer...and trying different reloads and finally giving up and sending it off.....then after getting it back tried different pressure adjustment on the little screw and finally getting it to the point where the 7x57 Ruber #1 shot really good for its 18.5" barrel on it....then I sent the rest of them one by one to E. Author Brown Co in Minnesota and it took about 3 years (a total of about 7 or 8 years) to get all the Ruger #1's modified and now they all shot OK, 1 MOA but not super accurate like the Coopers and Bergara does but accurate enough for deer hunting.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad