New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: cellular trail cameras  (Read 161 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
cellular trail cameras
« on: January 12, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »
     Anyone tried the new cellular trail cameras?  I'm seriously looking to try them but need more info. Any feedback would be appreciated.     I had a deer stand that was swarming with bucks this year but I didn't know until it was to late. A cellular camera would of been sending me pictures and I could of moved in and hunted it more or had someone in my hunting party hunt it.     THANKS

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: cellular trail cameras
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 09:03:45 PM »
A buddy of mine uses spy point.   The pics were nice and you could control some settings via phone app.  I think it was only $10 or so a month for the service (there is a limit on number of photos without additional charge)

I still havent droped the trigger on one, cell service sucks where I hunt.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »
I have buddies that use them and love them. they go off all the time though. morning, noon, and night.

I don't get service at my cabin, so I haven't dove in
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 06:29:43 AM »
My brother in law uses a spypoint year round and just loves it. He sends me pics all the time when he gets them. Spypoint now has a new device that out now that will convert any trail camera to cellular, cost is around $70. It was introduced at the ATA show last week. You might want to take a look at them. I was impressed. I don't use them because I don't have cell service in most of the areas that I hunt. I wish that I did because it's about 150 miles from home to camp. Good Luck
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:03:41 AM »
My brother in law uses a spypoint year round and just loves it. He sends me pics all the time when he gets them. Spypoint now has a new device that out now that will convert any trail camera to cellular, cost is around $70. It was introduced at the ATA show last week. You might want to take a look at them. I was impressed. I don't use them because I don't have cell service in most of the areas that I hunt. I wish that I did because it's about 150 miles from home to camp. Good Luck

I saw that new thang on Facebook and went to their page to check it out.  Stated that it hooked in to any camera through the sd card slot.  My question then would be how do you shut the old camera's door? Appeared to be a wire going to it from the transmitter device.  That would be my main question.  Waiting for a Youtube on it, so can see everything.
My Brownings have the sd card inside the water sealed door.

I was given a Browning Defender WiFi system by my wife for Christmas for behind our house, most of my Still Hunting.  It's OK, seems to be the Browning Defender App that I have the problem with most of the time.  My cellphone can see the camera but the App does not every time.  You first contact the camera with the Phone's Bluetooth mode and then switch over to WiFi to look at pictures and control camera.  All of this is with the Defender App on your cellphone or Tablet which is free on Google Play for Android (mine) or Apple for IPhones.

Let us know what you find out or purchase and test.

Thanks,
PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:26:08 PM »
I'm starting to use them this year.  2019 my old moultrie 880's started dying off so I needed to replace some. I went with cuddeback this time around because they have a link system to link all their cameras together on one channel so you can check up to 16 cameras by just checking 1 camera and all this doesn't require a plan. This black friday I ended up buying two 2 packs of their cameras and when registered online they sent you a free cell camera but you also had to purchase a full years subscription of cell service for pictures, 180 bucks for the year gets you 2000 pictures a month. Now here is what I like about cuddeback, with their plan you can link up to 16 cameras together on one link system and have your home camera set up as the cell cam and you will get pics from 16 cameras off of one plan instead of like every other camera company you have to have a cell plan for every camera.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 07:13:38 PM »
That sounds like a much more reasonable approach NWIA, provided you can string them all together close enough to keep the communication links alive.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 12:13:28 AM »
cuddy was the first I knew about w/ this concept, but there are several out there right now. I have a buddy that found out about a company I never heard of that is popular in the south. he loves it and I think it's $10/ month. shop around. there are several options today
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Puddle Jumper

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 06:16:32 AM »
cuddy was the first I knew about w/ this concept, but there are several out there right now. I have a buddy that found out about a company I never heard of that is popular in the south. he loves it and I think it's $10/ month. shop around. there are several options today

Is it Spartan Cameras? 
They are out of Duluth, GA.  See them advertising all the time on my Facebook Hunting sites - NC Whitetail Hunting Site along with a TN Hunting Site.
Know nothing other than some hunters bragging on them.

https://spartancamera.com/?msclkid=93d3e83d5a8610f63a21b620f5a2c6c6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=

PJ
That which does not kill me, should RUN
USAF MSgt Ret
NRA Life - Endowment
NRA Whittington Center Sponsor
NAHC Life
American Legion
NC Sheriffs Association Honorary member
NCCSA (NC Concerned Sportsmen Association)
Burgaw Hunting Club

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:50:42 AM »

Is it Spartan Cameras? 
They are out of Duluth, GA.  See them advertising all the time on my Facebook Hunting sites - NC Whitetail Hunting Site along with a TN Hunting Site.
Know nothing other than some hunters bragging on them.

https://spartancamera.com/?msclkid=93d3e83d5a8610f63a21b620f5a2c6c6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=

PJ

i'm not sure. I know they were verizon based
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad