New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Scope suggestions  (Read 581 times)

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Scope suggestions
« on: December 28, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
Looking at a used Tikka in 300 wsm. And will have to get a scope for it. The rifle has a stainless steel barrel and also has a muzzle brake on it. What scope or scopes would be ideal for this caliber? Would like to keep it around $200 or less if possible. What y’all suggest? Thanks!!!
Proverbs 3:5,6

TalkHunting Community

Scope suggestions
« on: December 28, 2019, 08:28:23 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
Re: Scope suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »
You can pick up some Nikon's really cheap right now, they are going to stop making them.

I'm a fan of Bushnell myself and they have several under $200.

Vortex makes a nice scope and Leupold is always an option, the VX3's are still great values for the money

I usually go for 3-9 power but it all depends on how far you shoot, I rarely zoom in past 4x, just like having the option.

There are some others here that can give you a lot more detailed info
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:28:16 PM »
Can't disagree with the guidance from MIB.  That .300 is quite a cannon, so a robust scope and a good set of mounts are a necessity unless you're going to reload some tame stuff, and that's kinda defeating the purpose of that caliber.  Think about the distances you intend to shoot and don't go overboard on magnification if you don't need it, it only adds cost and weight and causes grief on close shots.  Also get yourself some good ear protection, you're gonna need it.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 09:25:13 AM »
the most recent scope I bought was a TRACT OPTICS scope. definitely look at them. they eliminate the middle men and direct market. that eliminates several levels of marketing cost. I think they are the best value out there right now. they have several 'levels' of scopes that will fit your needs. you can also sign up for their sale alerts if you aren't in a hurry. I bought a 'demo' toric for under $500 and there wasn't a scratch on it. the glass on this scope is great. Bo will support the glass quality

if you want to stay mainstream, Leopold has a 'freedom scope line' for around $200.

good luck
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2019, 08:23:28 PM »
Thanks for the info!!!! About the Nikon scopes, will the lifetime warranty still apply for their scopes?
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 10:32:19 AM »
Thanks for the info!!!! About the Nikon scopes, will the lifetime warranty still apply for their scopes?

i would doubt it if they aren't making anymore
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2019, 09:35:43 AM »

i would doubt it if they aren't making anymore
I believe they will still honor the lifetime warranty as they are only eliminating the scopes, not everything else. The maintenance and repair of all optics would still be available. However if damage to scope was so bad that repair is not practical, there would not be a replacement available for that scope. Nikon is not going anywhere, just getting out of the rifle scope business, they are a fine company with quality products.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
gut- let's make a gentleman's bet. a year from now let's call Nikon for a scope repair. speaking from experience w/ other companies like Lowrance, if they discontinue a model they won't repair it. I would be impressed if Nikon would repair if they are out of the scope business

it will be very interesting to see how they handle it. it will set a precedent if others get out of scopes 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 06:03:57 PM »
Leupold has been around since 1949 and I think if you are considering a warranty, then they should be around for many more years...also look at Vortex and their warranty....

Depending on your distance and the type of hunting you do, then a 3.5-10X or a 3-15X for those longer shots, for quicker shots look for a 1.5-6X or even a 2.5-8 or for a longer shots how bout a 2-12X ?? but it all depends of what distance you are shooting and then terrain you are shooting....just depends...

For the 300 WSM, it should taken down most critters in North America, but not all, like Grizzles, Brown Bears, Moose....but besides those, your 300WSM is a fine choice for all around hunting in North America......now you got to find out what it likes to shoot, a 150 gn, a 165 or a 180 gn bullet....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 04:59:48 AM »
Nikon is out of the picture now!!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
Nikon is out of the picture now!!

you saw my other post? they got out of scopes because they are out of the 'blood sport' business. they are making a political stand and got pressure from the anti's. so that is why they are out of scope. FOR THIS REASON I WILL NEVER BUY NIKON
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 10:28:27 AM »
I own the same rifle and topped mine with a Bushnell 3200 Elite and it has served well since 2004.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad