New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Smokepole kits?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Smokepole kits?
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »
Yeah, searched it out quite a bit.  My main mistake was that the two shades of stain I used didn't have enough contrast.  Might still try a bit more with some really dark stain, just not sure if it will stick now that I have some oil on it.  We'll soon find out.

i would think the dark goes on first, then a lighter layer over it. i would also go darker than you think you need. experiment on similar wood before trying on the final product. all things i'm sure you know 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2020, 10:17:24 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2020, 04:09:12 PM »
I used some undiluted walnut stain on it after two coats of oil had been applied, and there's some nice subtle character to it.  Not what I originally wanted but I like it.  Have put on two more coats of oil today and will probably do one, maybe two more tomorrow & call that done.  Need to get on with browning the remaining hardware, anxious to see it all together.

I started with a lighter shade on the raw wood, then went on top with the darker.  My theory was that the thirsty wood would readily soak up that first coat of stain (water based) and then maybe the darker would stay in place.  I think if I do one again in the future, I'll use a lighter initial stain, apply a single coat of oil, then come back & apply my stripes in a darker color.  The oil also darkens things, more so than I expected, so I definitely should have been starting with lighter stuff to get better contrast.  I did a little experimentation on other wood I had here, but everything behaves differently and I didn't have that anything close to the type of walnut that was in Lyman's kit.  At the end of the day though I'm still pretty happy with how it's looking.  Live and learn!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2020, 05:17:02 PM »
enjoy. there's always a learning curve the first time around
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 01:48:05 PM »
Mad - That is how I re-finished my first ever real deer rifle, a Winchester Model 70A in 270 Win.  Also sent the bolt out for re-bluing. Man that is a good looking rifle....it the first rifle I take out to the woods the very first hunt of the year every year.....also take my Dad's 742 down with me as well......

But back in the early 90's felt like the old Winchester Model 70A was showing its wear and tear after all the years and weather it has been through, so I took a couple of weeks and sanded it down and re-finished the stock put some three coats of lend-seed oil on it and then finished it off using the walnut stain.....it turned out very nice a little shiny but still nice....it has earned a place in my gun safe. With all the deer that rifle has sent to the freezer, it deserves to have a place up front.....   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »
Make one that Jack Hinson used during the war between the states

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/02/09/jack-hinson-the-civil-war-sniper
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2020, 09:17:57 PM »
Well, decided to quit procrastinating and git er done today.  Took over the wife's oven for a while this afternoon to get the small pieces browned, and went ahead and put it all together tonight.  I have a few cosmetic things to fix on it, but overall happy with the results.  Now I need to round up some powder and caps, and see how it shoots!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 09:21:39 PM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 01:40:36 PM »
Looks good . congratulations . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 02:28:43 PM »
nice looking gun I found using cci number 11 caps worked great in my cva 58cal also 2f black powder worked well
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2020, 02:44:15 PM »
Yeah Dave, I was planning on using ffg powder, need to go buy a can.  I have some old CCI #11 caps, will fire off one or more of those today just to be sure the lock mechanism is functioning as intended.  Need to take the barrel back off and remove a bit of material in the forearm, as the ramrod is binding up.  Very difficult to move it.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2020, 04:27:00 PM »
your talents were wasted at your previous employer. looks great. you should go into production
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2020, 09:45:22 PM »
Thanks, If I charged a reasonable price for the gun Yari, I'd be paying myself about a nickel an hour.  If I charged minimum wage, no one would buy it.  I'm soooooo slow on this stuff.   Always wanted to do one though, and like the way it turned out, so can check that line off the bucket list!!   The only other thing I might be tempted to do someday would be a smaller bore Kentucky rifle, like a .36, but frankly I doubt I'd ever take the time to shoot it and I'm not really into having guns that I don't use.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 06:59:33 PM »
Thanks, If I charged a reasonable price for the gun Yari, I'd be paying myself about a nickel an hour.  If I charged minimum wage, no one would buy it.  I'm soooooo slow on this stuff.   Always wanted to do one though, and like the way it turned out, so can check that line off the bucket list!!   The only other thing I might be tempted to do someday would be a smaller bore Kentucky rifle, like a .36, but frankly I doubt I'd ever take the time to shoot it and I'm not really into having guns that I don't use.

since when is it all about money??????????? @--0--0105 @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 07:43:50 PM »
OK you're probably right - I should whittle one out for each of my TH brothers and sisters I suppose . . . . .
A smokepole and a turkey call for everyone, but you gotta bear with me on my tendencies for procrastination!
and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2020, 08:21:48 PM »
OK you're probably right - I should whittle one out for each of my TH brothers and sisters I suppose . . . . .
A smokepole and a turkey call for everyone, but you gotta bear with me on my tendencies for procrastination!
I can wait till Christmas    ##$%#1118
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline yari

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 09:05:21 AM »
I can wait till Christmas    ##$%#1118

that's what i heard to dave. i always wanted a smokepole. now i get a mad custom one.  @--0--0118 @--0--0118
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad