New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Smokepole kits?  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Smokepole kits?
« on: December 27, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
As a teenager I always had the urge to buy a black powder rifle kit and build it up, but competition for limited financial resources put it pretty far down the priority list (beer, girls, and food already had me in deficit spending).  Starting to get the itch to build one again and have been looking into the options, wanted to see if any of you guys & gals have input for me now that I have a little disposable cash (not spending so much these days on beer or girls).

Only considering a percussion cap gun (no flintlocks), either a Hawken or Kentucky rifle style, .50 or .54 cal, and a relatively slow twist for patched round balls.  I would intend to use this for whitetail and targets.  I have an in-line that shoots sabots lights out, so in this "old" rifle I don't have a need for a fast twist for sabots.  Would like to keep the price "reasonable" (if there is such a thing) so at this point the Lyman Great Plains rifle in either .50 or .54 is at the top of my list.  Originally I was only looking at .50s but the more I've read the more I see people raving about the accuracy of the .54 along with a bit more knockdown power to boot.  There is an outside chance I might use this on an elk someday, so in that regard the .54 might be well worth considering.  The Traditions kits seem to have lesser quality components (like plastic sights??) and the Pedersoli kits are carrying a heavier pricetag.  I'm not really worried about the building process itself, I feel I have the skills & tools to handle the wood and metal work without much difficulty.  My intention would be to brown the barrel and all exposed steel components while also doing a dark finish on the brass - I've always liked that look and even most of the finished guns now seem to be done that way. 

Any suggestions based on your own experiences?  The reviews on the Lyman GPR are pretty good overall vs. other kits and I can get one below $500.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

Smokepole kits?
« on: December 27, 2019, 08:18:53 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Smokepole kits?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 08:36:29 PM »
I would go with 50 cal there are lot more ammo in that cal also look at dixie gun work and track of the wolf the twist of 1 and 66 is great for round ball 1 in 48 works round ball and conacal bullets around our area finding the number 11 percustion cap is impossable  a good magazine to read one I get is muzzleloader magazine I started with a kit from tompson center it was a Hawkins in 45 cal was very hard to find round balls for it you will have so much fun I still have a 58 cal cva
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 11:59:04 PM »
I have both of the GPR the cap and the flintlock and love them both , in fact iI also have the faster twist barrel for the flint lock , and as far as speed of ignition they are about the same , they have really good flash holes these days . they are both 50cal . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
I always wanted a looooong gun like a Kentucky Long Rifle or similar to the used in the Last of the Mohicans movie.

Now you have me thinking about a winter project.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 08:07:50 PM »
OK MIB - let's dive in and do these together so we can share ideas as we go (I guess I should warn you that my diminishing attention span means that most projects stretch out over months, sometimes years).  I think I've convinced myself to do a Hawken first - if I get the itch to do a second one it'll probably be a small caliber (.36?) Kentucky squirrel gun.  I don't think Lyman makes a Kentucky rifle kit but Pedersoli has some beautiful ones if you want to pay for the wood upgrades.

and enjoy it!

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Administrator
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
Let me do some looking.  I may be convinced to do a Hawken but want to see what's out there.  Been a while since I looked.

I'd really like a black powder shotgun as well.   Would be cool for some low tech turkey hunting.

Can open worms everywhere.....

LOL
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 11:30:00 PM »
Let me do some looking.  I may be convinced to do a Hawken but want to see what's out there.  Been a while since I looked.

I'd really like a black powder shotgun as well.   Would be cool for some low tech turkey hunting.

Can open worms everywhere.....

LOL
For low tech turkey hunting all you need is a stick I've been told. --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
I've had a Thompson Center .50 caliber Hawkins  percussion for 40 years. Still very accurate today. Hawkins are a lot easier to clean  then a Kentucky rifle if you use boiling water to clean. Mine shoots round ball and maxi ball accurately. Don't remember twist. I built mine from a kit. For elk .54 would be better  than .50.

When working up a load l slowly added powder until unburnt powder landed in the snow. Then slowly backed off powder until most accurate load.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2020, 07:24:12 AM »
About 20 to 25 years ago, I entered a gun raffle and won my choice of what was left of the 30 rifles, black powder and shotguns remaining....I think I was number 25 or 26 to be drawn, wasn't much left except a Remington 50 caliber Model 700ML....and at the time I was using a old percussion cap Hawking 50 caliber ML (a kit I put together a few years earlier). The Remington 700ML that I won was also a In-Line percussion cap. I use it to deer hunt for a couple of years or so. I was looking at Cabela's (long before Bass Pro was even thinking about buying them) and saw a conversion kit for a 209 primer....so I bought it! After a few years of looking for the Serial Number and after tearing this ML down to it components I finally found it (had to take the forearm off and it was stamped onto the barrel....#103...yep, a very early version of the 700ML....but, I put the kit in and never looked back. Was dating my current wife then and had to buy her one as well....and had to put the kit in it as well...LOL....As always try to make them 700ML match so I put a couple of Tasco World Class Plus 3-9X x 40mm. I swear these scope are as good as some of the Leupold VX 2 that I own...they were made right before Tasco filed for bankruptcy!! Anyway I own about 9 or 10 of these scopes, a bunch of 4X scopes and a few 3-9X and a couple of 3.5-10X as well.....

But today I have the 700ML as back up to the back up....the CVA Accura II is the number one ML and the T/C Omega is No. 2 and the remingtons are No.3 and 4 (I do own a Savage ML10 II but never shoot it...uses either black powder or a certain smokeless powder.....

But I am a firm believer in the kits for a upgrade....most of them are easy to do and they are always worth the money and effort....well most of them anyway.....

Bo
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2020, 09:28:14 PM »
Took the plunge today and ordered the Lyman Great Plains kit in .54 cal, a percussion model.  Should have it here before the end of the week.  Lyman must have recently shipped a bunch of kits out - - a few weeks ago no one had any in stock and now several places do.  I ended up ordering it through MidSouth shooters supply, as they had the best price.  Trying to help out Bo's state economy down in Tennessee.  They're the ones I bought that Hornady safe from last year as well.  Will keep you guys posted as I build it up - - I'm usually not too speedy on these things.  Planning to brown the barrel and all the steel components (lock, trigger guard, nose cap, buttplate, etc) and trying to decide whether or not to attempt some fake tiger striping on the stock.  Will wait to see what the woodgrain looks like before I make that decision.  It's a 1:60 twist, so will be for patched balls. 

and enjoy it!

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 08:02:45 AM »
you will have a lot of fun lyman are great guns 54 will be a good caliber up here it is hard to find round balls in that caliber most store have 50 cal stuff make sure you take pictures for us I would love to see the steps you do
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »
you will have plenty of time to get it dialed in. enjoy
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 06:10:02 PM »
Good Luck Mad - sounds like a good project....I built a Hawkin 45 caliber percussion back in the late 60's....served me great until I won the Remington 700ML percussion back in the mid 90. Order a kit to convert it from percussion cap to 209 primer.....and have not look back since.....

One time, about 20 years ago, a guy brought out this box at the range and inside of it was the prettiest muzzle I had ever seen...it was a 58 caliber in a Ky Long Rifle, percussion, patch and ball type...he shot it after unwrapping it and taking it out of the custom made box....he told me that it was made by a guy who lived and did all his smithing in Nashville. I could tell that this guy had money and the ML was out of my league.....he only fire it a few times and then packed it up and left....

Mad - Post pictures of your progress along the way..... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 08:42:57 PM »
You should have many years of fun with that kit . I have one in 50 cal. with both their barrels for it . There is a barrel that is you can use sabots .
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 09:20:45 AM »
Yeah Sundowner, I've seen that barrel.  Since I already have an in-line that shoots sabots extremely well, my current thinking is that I'd just use the Hawken with round balls, but you never know, I might decide to add the other fast twist barrel later on. 
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad