New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Savage - A Good History  (Read 340 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Savage - A Good History
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but I love reading about the history of an company, how it got to be where it is today...or failures along the way......

Guns and Ammo, January 2020 Issue has a good article about the history of Savage and how it almost went under! It is a good read.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Savage - A Good History
« on: December 14, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline DPD

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • one cold day
Re: Savage - A Good History
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 09:04:11 PM »
Love Savage history, of course a main plant was in Utica NY a mere 30 miles away and my father-in-laws uncle was Savage Sportsman club in the 40's President and I have several old savages...250/3000, 300, 12 ga shotgun (made 1928) and some old .22 and my dads 25/20   Bo it was a great  company at one time
ANY DAY HUNTING/FISHING IS A BETTER DAY THAN WORKING
NAHC Life Member/NY Muzzleloader
NYS Lifetime Sportsman & Lifetime Turkey Permit
US Navy Vietnam combat Veteran 68-72 CTR3
2nd & Last Northeast anniversary party 2010
2012 Summerblast Pennyrile Kentucky

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 08:00:38 PM »
In the last 20 years, I have become a Savage Fan, before that I was a Remington Person....just like for 45 years I drove a Ford Pickup Truck and then I purchased a Camry for the misses and now I have nothing but Toyota's, 4 of them and one Nissan 300ZX that I keep a cover on....

I have purchase many Savages and will continue to do so in the future....wow, to know a person with worked at Savage!! I bet he could keep great secrets...just like Remington back in the last 90's for me while I was working in Elizabethtown, KY (or Etown as the locals call it) there was a Remington R&D plant (probably secret) up there that they could not wear their Remington shirts or tell anybody that they worked at the Remington facility!! They were nice and polite, but professional. I wanted a job there until they told me the starting salary for a Engineer that had both Elec and Mech degrees and had plenty of experience. It was $10 per hour. Did not know if they was kidding me but it certainly dampen my spirits about working there....so I said thanks by no thanks....

Did not know that Savage spent 15 million bucks on a barrel making machine and their first customer was Remington, making the original blued Sendero barrels!!! Tell you what that fine with me because my Remington Action with a Savage Barrel that make up a 270 Win Remington Sendero will shoot through the same hole at 200 yards and the 25-06 almost will. My 7mm STW with is a limited run of the Sendero back in late 96 (think they made around 1100 of them) is a tack driver for sure.....

They are inexpensive rifle that with the right reloads will shoot as good as any of my Cooper and Blaser will!! So I am always looking for a use Savage like the one I got about a year ago, it was a Savage 260 with a Shilen barrel on it. Shoots lights out for sure....   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:21:53 PM »
I have a number of Savage rifles. Really like them. Everyone  is an accurate rifle. I'm left handed. That's what got me started on Savage.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
Of my 10 Savages, purchased 8 of them new and 2 of them are new to me...LOL....my first one was a LE-1, a short 20" heavy barrel #5, plain stock in 308....and my latest one was a Savage model 10 started life out as a 308 but the original owner took it to a gunsmith and he put a Shilen 21.6" heavy barrel #6 on it in 260 Remington - I used it deer hunting this year, it is a real tack driver.....it's heavy but very accurate....Still working on the proper load for it but here is the latest target that I shot with it......but one thing for sure, it does not like the 127 or 129 gn bullets that I have tried with it...so this rifle is still a work in progress, but the target that is attached, I was using a 140 gn Accubond.....have not tried the Hornady 143 ELD-X in it yet.....but tweaking the load this year ought to get it even tighter groups.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »
Wow - Savage did go through a very tough time, but today they are a leader in the firearms industry....I have a bunches of Remington's, Winchester's and Rugers, but for the past 10 to 15 years have been looking at Savage as my top pick...I won a bunch of them and never had a moments problem with them at all!!!....the industry slowly is looking at Savages way....and for the Coopers and Bergara fans (like me) Savage has made several major in-roads into the industry....love my Savages.....there again, I will start looking at all of them, all manufacturers...Savage my be the leader, but you know who their first customers are is - the Competition !!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
my 220 came without the accutrigger tool to adjust the trigger pull. after 2 emails, cabelas hasn't even responded. i'll say it again, man have they gone downhill!

can I use a screwdriver? it will probably be a one time adjustment. thoughts? 
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 08:40:07 PM »
Yari, I did a bit of searching, looks like the tool is slotted on the end like a Schrader valve tool, but one of those is too fat to go in the hole.  Sounds like some people are able to turn it with something like an eyeglass screwdriver.  Do you have any buddies locally with a Savage who might have a tool?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 10:10:07 AM »
Yari, I did a bit of searching, looks like the tool is slotted on the end like a Schrader valve tool, but one of those is too fat to go in the hole.  Sounds like some people are able to turn it with something like an eyeglass screwdriver.  Do you have any buddies locally with a Savage who might have a tool?

nobody i've found yet. i saw the screw driver 'fix'. i'll try that if i can't get the tool. i'm going to call cabelas this week. email isn't working. thx
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
You could try to make the tool, but it's gotta fit down into a 0.11" diameter hole (less than an eighth of an inch) with a slot cut in the end.  I have some material here that would work and I think I can slot it, so if you can't find a tool and can't reach Cabela's let me know and I'll make you one.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:26 AM »
You could try to make the tool, but it's gotta fit down into a 0.11" diameter hole (less than an eighth of an inch) with a slot cut in the end.  I have some material here that would work and I think I can slot it, so if you can't find a tool and can't reach Cabela's let me know and I'll make you one.

thx for the offer. hopefully they come through or savage does
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad