New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Rossi Circuit Judge 45 colt Rifle  (Read 175 times)

Offline lswoody

• 2010 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
Rossi Circuit Judge 45 colt Rifle
« on: November 30, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »
Have wanted one of these since they first come out but wondering if this is good for deer out to say 100 and maybe out to 150 yds? This rifle has a barrel that is 18.5 long. What do u guys think? Thanks!!!
Proverbs 3:5,6

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Rossi Circuit Judge 45 colt Rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 08:17:21 AM »
I have a Henry BBS in 45 Colt. It has a 20" barrel Bought it with the intention of using it on deer, since the MI regs have changed, allowing certain calibers, to be used in what was a shotgun only zone. While my Henry is accurate enough to kill woodchucks at 65 yds with a 200 gr cast bullet, I don't think this would be enough for deer at a 100 yds. Going to a 255 gr bullet, I would gain about a 100 ft/lbs more, or roughly 600 ft/lbs. I sort of wish I had bought a 44 mag instead. I chose the 45 Colt, cuz I also have  a Blackhawk chambered for the 45 Colt. I need to chronograph my 250 gr loads, out of a 20" barrel. IMO, my Henry doesn't give me much advantage over a 12 ga slug at 1600 ft/sec.  Recoil is is definitely less with the Henry. I have used Ruger only loads in my RBH, at about 1200 fps, I don't know if they would be safe in the Henry.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:00:06 AM by MichiganLouie »
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 06:13:53 AM »
Woody, while I do like the looks of that gun, I'm really not a fan of having my face down close to the action where you have a fair amount of burning powder and gas squishing out of the gap between the cylinder and the barrel, especially with relatively hot hunting loads.  Methinks it's not a great choice for 100 yds and beyond either.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 06:26:38 AM »
Woody - Knew a guy who purchased this rifle as a novelty item, but quickly discovered that it was more than a novelty! it was indeed a fair but short deer rifle...as you said, a 100 to 150 yards deer rifle. It would make sense to use it as a home defense firearm, but a shotgun of the 20 or 410 variety would make a better firearm....

I like the 450 Bushmaster as a deer rifle over the Rossi Circuit Judge...JMO...Bo
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 06:28:50 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad