New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: A big one for sure  (Read 480 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
A big one for sure
« on: November 26, 2019, 06:25:57 AM »
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: A big one for sure
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 10:41:33 AM »
looks bigger than 183". what a stud
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »
Yea look at the mass. WOW

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 09:42:32 PM »
He is a big one! What kind of beans were they feeding him?
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
 --7-8-9 That is a stud!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 11:18:17 PM »
I wudda done catch and release 🤣
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 08:06:23 AM »
I wudda done catch and release 🤣
We wanna see the video if you do that Flintlock  --099-780 ##$%#114 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 03:21:33 PM »
Awesome buck! Interesting comments below article. My guess, there will be a record book for crossbows someday.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2019, 07:44:22 PM »
Awesome buck! Interesting comments below article. My guess, there will be a record book for crossbows someday.
Gobi - I really think that would be an appropriate way to squelch some of the bickering that goes on.  Similar bickering happened when compound bows came on the scene, particularly the high letoff bows that would improve a lot of archers' abilities to get a good shot on a deer without being spotted on the draw.  I've done a lot of instinctive shooting with a recurve (target and bowfishing) and a lot of target shooting and bowhunting with a compound, and now the same with a crossbow.  There's no question that there's a huge advantage in using a crossbow vs a vertical bow - some challenges too, but in general the average person will find it easier to harvest deer with a crossbow and I don't see any huge downside to having a separate trophy book for those.  But at the same time a lot of those people griping just like to gripe - I would suspect many of them don't even bowhunt.  Plenty of armchair quarterbacks out there who have never been in the game.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 09:43:51 PM »
I don't have an issue w/ a xbow in the right hands. but you need to practice!!!!!! too many are just picking them up and hunting. I've seen it. plus, the 'celebrities' are claiming 100 yard shooting ability. that doesn't mean that is ethical!!!! I guess what I see is you just can't change stupid

there needs to be separate record books. I personally haven't put any of my animals in the books for years. it's just a personal choice. but for those that enjoy it, it should be apples to apples. xbows are easier that compounds and compounds are easier than traditional
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline gobihawk

• Nov/11 Prize Winner
  • 8 Point
  • Knowledge is the key to success
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 06:08:45 PM »
Madgomer - I started with recurve. Nasayers said couldn't  shoot a deer with that.  Proved them wrong. Went to compound. Nasayers said we would  shoot too many bucks before gun season. Still have recurve. Still shot carp with it. Took as backup for elk. Have never shot a crossbow. Nothing against them. I just really enjoy shooting my compound. I'm 65 trying to make it to 70 and still shooting my compound. Wished I would have bought a Matthew's sooner.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member
Green Bay Packers Owner & Season Ticket Holder

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2019, 07:52:14 PM »
I started playing with a Xbow 4-5 years ago.  Had a rotator cuff tear and didn't know if I'd be able to pull my bow yet by fall so used that as my backup plan.  Turns out that I didn't need it that year, but IL DNR started allowing us to use X-bows in the last month of the season a year later so I did take it out a few times, figured it would be a lot easier than trying to draw with all my bulky subzero clothes on.  Didn't take a shot at a deer for a couple of years with it.  Then had a frozen shoulder episode & couldn't pull my bow at the start of season, same year IL DNR allowed Xbows in general for archery even without medical exemptions.  Last year the shoulder was better so I started carrying my bow again but ended up using the Xbow second half & haven't been shooting my compound at all this year.  Really need to get focused on the shoulder exercises again so I can regain the strength & confidence with it.  I do enjoy shooting my compound bow more than the X-bow but without question you need to spend more time practicing with the bow to be proficient, even after shooting for 40+ years.

30-ish years of deer hunting with a bow and I've never been able to draw and shoot on a coyote, last year I ventilated one with my Xbow.  I think that's a good indication of how much more effective a hunter can be in the woods with one vs a vertical bow (and why there should be a separate set of books).  Follow up shots are not quick but it's sure easier to get that first shot off (and accurately) with the Xbow than a compound.

And yeah Yari - people talking about 100 yard shots are fools in my opinion, but then again there have been compound bow guys making those kinds of claims too.  I don't care if you can push a bolt or arrow through the bullseye consistently at 100 yards, there's just too much time between the release and the arrival to attempt such a shot in my view.  I've done some shooting out to 70 yards on stationary targets, it's not hard to envision an animal moving enough to cause a complete miss (or worse, a gutshot) at such ranges.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 07:57:15 PM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad