New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Sig-Sauer Rifle Scopes  (Read 1252 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Sig-Sauer Rifle Scopes
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:28:37 AM »
Sig-Sauer is puts out very good products. I have one of their Rifle Scopes. It is thier Whiskey 3 3-9X x 40mm mounted on the Savage-Shilen in the 260. When I bought this scope several years ago, I always check out the about of black ring between the scope body and the field view (the scope view) it was good very little black (in my opinion, the little back the better...normally Sig Sauer puts out good scopes. The other scope I got in is the Whiskey 3-9X x 40mm with the electro-dot (similar to the old Burris fullfield) It takes a CR2032 battery and it has also a very little black between the scope body and scope view. Got the second Sig-Sauer scope in a few weeks ago and what I am trying to do is to put a good decent scope on the Mossberg Patriot 6.5 PRC that I just got in a week or so ago.

I assumed that they all were made in the Philippines from the same factory...both the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 3-9X x 40mm Boxes were very big boxes for scope....they came with a 4 inch sunshade, cleaning cloth, scope cover and Allen wrench for setting the scope back to Zero when you got it sited-in and of course an owners manual.....

The new Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 4-12X x 40mm with 1 inch tube has a very large black ring between the scope body and the scope view and that is unacceptable to me. I will keep the scope of course and keep it in the scope pile for future use....but funny thing is that is scope came in a very small box about half the size of the other Sig-Sauer 3-9X scopes!!  Maybe this is just me but wonder if they have factories that produce this scope? But since I am a big Vortex fan, I have 4 Vortex scopes that are in the scope pile, I found a Crossfire II, 4-12X x 40mm 1 inch tube that was in the pile and looked through it as well, I went though all the scopes in the scope pile and found this one that will work just fine....

I do have a Vortex Viper 2.5-10X x 44mm with a 30mm tube that will be arriving early next week and will definitely give it a good look....by the way....Midway has this Vortex Viper on sale for $249!! with a free set of rings...it was a good deal that I could not turn down...

My goal before Bird Day (Thanksgiving is to most) to have a good decent scope mounted on the Mossberg Patriot...as i said before, this is a cheap rifle with a very thin barrel, and the trigger breaks at between 2 lbs 14 ozs and 3.1 lbs (tested the trigger for 10 pulls and will not mess with it at all....if necessary at a latter date, will adjust it down to somewhere around 2.5 to 2.75 lbs and go from there....put a $20 (from Amazon) muzzle brake on it....only thing I need to do it to put a decent cheap scope on it and it will come down to either the Vortex or the Sig-Sauer (do have a Leupold 3-9 x 50mm that I did not considered). Hopefully I can get away with under $600 for the the set up....

BTW - Has anybody heard that Nikon will be getting out of the rifle scope business?? thanks to Deerhead for the heads up.....

So the take away from this post is to look before you leap. The Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 4-12X x 40mm with a 1" tube not the scope that I would recommend to anybody....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Sig-Sauer Rifle Scopes
« on: November 23, 2019, 09:28:37 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Sig-Sauer Rifle Scopes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »
the John's left Nikon to start Tract. maybe tract and the other offshoots are putting a dent in there business?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:01:39 AM »
Yari - Maybe the handwriting was on the wall....it all boils down to profit!!

Here is what I did...the Vortex Viper arrived yesterday mid afternoon...What I did, have already taken the Sig-Sauer 4-12X off the Mossberg Patriot 6.5 PRC and was waiting on the arrival of the Vortex Viper....I took all three scopes that I was considering...the Sig-Sauer Whiskey 3 4-12X x 40, the Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X x 40mm and the Vortex Viper 2.5-10X x 44mm with a 30mm tube....after looking through all of them it was a no-brainier, the Viper got the clear choice...so I took my Burris Extreme Rings and mounted the Viper on the Mossberg. The Viper came with a 4" Sunshade which I went ahead and installed it as well...I bored sited in yesterday and took some pictures early this morning and did another check on the screws and torque values....had to make a few adjustments because a few screws had back out a very little bit.....After sleeping on the idea for a night, may take the sunshade...but we will see....

Since all accounts of this rifle tells me that it is a cheap, 1" to 1.5" MOA rifle at 100 yards accuracy, after a few test loads may make this another short range rifle, under 200 yards....but again we will see...just enjoy for now.....

See the attached pictures of the Mossberg/Vortex
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
you need a bigger shop @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 06:00:17 AM »
Yari - You are right!! I have everything in it place in the gun room, but do need another 1000 sq ft. Thinking about selling the Nissan 88 300ZX Turbo and moving my shop out in the garage. Just thinking now...did sell my Dad's truck (76 Chevy Silverado) this past February to a guy who promised to restore it, he was excited about the sale and I was excited for the restoration of it.....

What do you think of the Mossberg and the Vortex combo?   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 10:42:51 AM »
good looking combo. they match up well
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 12:03:45 PM »
The gun looks good Bo, although I've never been a fan of the sunshades for something that I'd be hunting with just because of the bulk & weight.  I suppose if I was out in the open blasting prairie dogs from a bench (or on a range) it would have a benefit but in the woods not much. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
Mad - I know what you mean...I will leave it on for now, but this rifle may not turn out to be a very accurate rifle? I am beginning to look for a Bergara or Cooper or even another Christensen Arm Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC for the future? I might pull off the Sunshade early next year if indeed if this rifle is as inaccurate as they say it is....but you never know....

One thing about Sig-Sauer Products, I have always been impressed with their "stuff", Especially their pistols! I am not impressed with this Whiskey 3 4-12X x 40mm with the 1 inch tube!!! Hopefully they will do something about this product or line of products...but the 2 Whiskey 3 3-9X x 40mm with the 1 inch tube are very good scopes, maybe these scope are made by different people in China....I have one of the Whiskey 3 3-9X x 40mm mounted on a Savage-Shilen Model 110, 260 Rem and it is prefect scope for this rifle....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 08:45:53 PM »
my buddy that bought the cooper this spring is still having problems w/ the clip falling out after he shoot. he's had it replaced twice and it still fell out in SD. I told him to send it back. for that money, it should clean itself. there should be no issues. he's not happy and for good reason. could you imagine needing a second shot and the clip fell out and you have to find it?  --7-8-9 --7-8-9 --7-8-9

NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 07:13:58 AM »
Yari - I own 10 Coopers and all of them are top notch quality, the Model 52 was the first model they put the magazine in. I agree with you, send it back so they can fix it properly, wonder if it is the right magazine for it...some where on the magazine itself it should state what the caliber is....I have extra magazines for all my model 52 Coopers except on. I looked for it again last night. It is the 7x57mm or the 7mm Mauser or the 275 Rigby magazine and will order it before the end of the year.

But you are right, it is unheard of that any Cooper will have problems....wonder if they are getting some new personnel because they are getting bigger...am taking down my first Cooper the M22 in 7x57mm and it's back up, the M52 Cooper

On his Cooper, is it accurate? It took me many different loads to find the right powder-bullet-primer combination to find the right formula to make mine very accurate accurate rifles....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
it is a .300 win mag and is accurate. he loves the gun, but like I said, he has brought it back to the dealer 3 times now. one time because they put the wrong rings on, and 2 times to replace the receiver. I would be more than a little upset. coopers cost way too much to have issues. apparently if you do a google search, this is a 'common issue'

you may be right. making too many and quality going down? 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »
Yari - That is my guess on it...too big to fast...to many shows and the production has gone way up and the quality way down....The Coopers uses Wilson Barrels from, of all the places, Connecticut!! I know when I was getting my custom Cooper M54 on ordered talked to the National Sales Manager of Cooper and he told me that it would take some time since they get all their barrels from Wilson!!

Forget the local dealer, send it back to the factory direct!! What they tired to do it to fix it in house instead of sending back to Cooper to see what the real problem was/is...But the Cooper rifles are not cheap rifles!! and they should not have this problem or any problems.....never had a problem with any of my other custom rifles that I own, they all seem to work just fine....

I am sure I would be upset also and the folks at Cooper don't realize that a bad facebook post about a Cooper can cost them dearly!!!
Please keep all of use posted on the unfolding event!! 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 08:22:34 PM »
that was the exact advise I gave. send it back to the factory. it's totally unacceptable for any rifle, much less a cooper.

i'll let you know what I hear
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 06:34:48 AM »
Yari - What I do is to buy a Cooper is to buy an extra magazine for that particular caliber...I do carry the extra magazine in my day pack when I hunt...have an extra 3 rounds. So far, so good, as far as the magazine fit goes, mine fit up snug and will not fall out!! Since I have a few Cooper 308's, have a few extra Cooper 308 magazines and they all fit...the only one I don't have is the Colt-Cooper M2012 and I would bet since it is not a typical Copper model, I might can use another brand of magazine maybe a Magpul or AICS type magazine.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 11:24:10 PM »
I was in the Gun Room this morning looking and finding all my extra Cooper M54 and M52 magazines....because of this post...I made sure that they fit up and they were not loose of fell out!!! ouch!! but a sigh of relief came over me this morning after stacking all my extra magazine and made sure it they were labeled and in their sandwich containers (you know, the kind your lunch meet comes in), I save all of them and they can be use for anything and they stack up well....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad