New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: 4 bucks came in this morning  (Read 238 times)

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
4 bucks came in this morning
« on: November 20, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
Sitting in my blind, seeing nothing, when I spotted a doe, just long enough to identify it as a doe, and went into the brush. About 15-20 minutes later, she came out being followed by a small buck, then a 2nd buck and a 3rd. While watching them and assesing the situation, a 4th much larger buck came out, likely an 8pt.  He finally offered a broadside shot. He was probably about 80 yds away. At the shot he gave no indication of being hit, but he did move back some, where I had no chance for a 2nd shot. Surprisingly, the other deer did not run off, but milled around for a bit, as if they were unable to tell whete the shot came from. Keeping an eye on the buck, I was hoping he would just drop, but didn't. Instead he walked towards the other deer. I kept looking for an opportunity for a 2nd shot, but it never came. By this time, I was haping problems with my glasses fogging up, but I was able to watch them walk off. I don't know if I hurried the shot, or what. The range was a little farther than what I would prefer, but took the shot anyway. I did search for blood for about half hour, and found none. Not all the ground is snow covered, but I was still able to follow the trail, until it led to thick woods. Not the most enjoyable experience, but I got to see 4 bucks in one day.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

TalkHunting Community

4 bucks came in this morning
« on: November 20, 2019, 08:22:25 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: 4 bucks came in this morning
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
Well Hoss that is a tough one but maybe he'll come back and give you another shot good luck!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »
thats better then what my hunting has been.  I saw and clean missed two shooter bucks on opening morning saturday and then have barely seen a buck since. got weather moving in after dark tonight so going to hunt all afternoon in hopes it pushes them all  to food.  rut is winding down here so not much buck movement.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:46:00 PM »
Well the good news Louie is that it sounds like he's not wounded, but I know how frustrating it can be to not have certainty (not to mention the frustration of missing)  Sounds like they're not badly spooked so stick with it and you'll get another chance at one of them I expect.

I'm going to skip the first weekend of gun season for the first time in a long time (this weekend), just too many conflicts and the river is still high enough to make it really tough to get where I need to go.  Weekend after Thanksgiving is our second weekend - will give that a try hopefully although the timing is pretty poor vs the rut. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:05:18 PM »
80 yards is 20 past my best that I threaded thru some trees and git him.  That must be some bow you are using! Good luck next time
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »
it happened to 2 of my group this week. of course, it was on 2 dandy bucks. you'll get him next time
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »
That's always a tough thing to understand. What if, what if etc. Don't beat yourself up over it. If it hasn't happened to you (I mean any of us) we haven't been hunting much. But, I"m sure you will have another chance at him the way the deer just walked around. Keep at it and let us know!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad