New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: rut???????????????  (Read 1109 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: rut???????????????
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »
Yari      I got to try out a new bullet in my 6.5x284 norma. 130 gr scirocco hit the shoulder dead center and traveled through both lungs and exited behind the other shoulder. The buck traveled about 70 yards and skidded to a stop. The blood trail was not great but the 4 inches of snow made the tracking job easy. I was at the hunting camp alone so I gutted the buck and left him in the woods over night. The next morning it was 10 degrees and with daylight I was able to sneak my wheeler in and drag out the buck. The buck weighed 214 lbs on the scale but I deducted 4 lbs for the gambrell and call it 210 lbs.           I can't wait to hear about your SD trip. I want to go out there hunting again some day.

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2019, 03:41:57 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2019, 09:19:02 PM »
not- SD was great. I saw more deer in one day than I saw in WI all year. that wasn't hard since I hadn't seen a deer the last 2 weekends. I saw 2 shooters(140" plus) before the season. I saw a 140ish 8 pt thurs night and a 155ish 10 plus Friday. both deer were missed multiple times by the WV guys ##$%#13 we had +60 degrees, +30mph winds, lots of standing corn and mud. man is it wet out there.

we went 4 for 4. only one should have been shot, a 136" nine point. I got fooled on a nine pt that was smaller then several bucks I passed earlier. ##$%#13 sadly, I wouldn't have shot this buck in WI. the guy that missed the 155+ four times, shot a small 8 pt. the last guy missed the big 8 pt three times, and shot a 10 pt I passed several times.  3 bucks were shot in the same stand near cut corn. the land owner only got 20% of his crop in this year due to rain. that didnt help. the neighbors still had their corn up. i'm guessing the big guys were all in there. I would expect to see more big deer since we hadn't hunted for 2 years

sorry guys, I didn't take any pics.
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2019, 09:45:57 PM »
Well, meat in the freezer is a victory Yari, congrats on that!  What's with all of the misses - just rushing shots or too long vs. the wind or jitters or ??  (yeah I know, sometimes it's just hard to say.)
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2019, 03:10:21 PM »
there was a comment the day before misses 1-4 that they had never missed out there. the guy that missed the 155" shot the 185" last year at 550 yards. he was a mess. he hunkered down all day for that buck to get up. when it did he was wiped out and shooting holes all around it. he didn't make a great shot on his other deer this year either, so it might be a scope issue?

the other guy that missed 3 times said he was cold. that was a big 8 pt.

they will be bigger next time 
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2019, 07:49:41 PM »
and wiser . . .
 ##$%#1114
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
Yari    sounds like a great hunt even though the weather didn't cooperate. Were the whitetails rutting?

Offline yari

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 10:46:56 AM »
Yari    sounds like a great hunt even though the weather didn't cooperate. Were the whitetails rutting?

yes. they were grunting and responding to calls. i had a black rack come in a fence row and was 250 yards away. i only had 5-10 minutes of light so i hammered the grunt. i lost him in the fireweed and as i was glassing, i heard steps right under me. he came on a string and fast. it was a 2 year old 10 pt so he got a pass. i couldn't believe he got there that fast and i didn't see him coming
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »
    That sounds like lots of fun.

Offline yari

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 08:37:43 PM »
    That sounds like lots of fun.

it's really different from my WI deer hunts that I can see 100 yards at most. in SD. I could see a stud in the middle of a section tending a doe. it was 1 1/2- 2 miles away! I could easily see his rack at that distance. you can't shoot most of the deer, but it sure is fun knowing they are around
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 07:42:45 PM »
Yea  its a lot of fun but with a bow it gets frustrating too. We have had a lot of action with a decoy and grunting really works good there.

Offline yari

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »
Yea  its a lot of fun but with a bow it gets frustrating too. We have had a lot of action with a decoy and grunting really works good there.

I wouldn't bow hunt in the area I gun hunt. it would be a long shot at best. the tags are OTC though. there is public land that is wooded that would be worth looking at though. I don't know what the pressure is like?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad