New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Buck down  (Read 151 times)

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Buck down
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 06:51:37 PM »
    Nice buck    Way to go.

Online Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »
Great story and awesome buck! Congratulations! Yes, prayers do help, even in the woods!! And yes, being retired does give you more opportunities to be in the woods! Congrats again!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
Thanks BC - I have a long list of things I want to do both here at home and elsewhere in retirement, but it's been amazing to me how quickly the days/weeks/months get filled up with all kinds of other things while that list is probably 75% untouched.  Not complaining, just surprised at how those 60+ hours each week that I was working got consumed.  One big difference though, is when I was still working I went hunting when I could, regardless of the conditions, whereas now I go when I feel it's most ideal (like last Friday).   I've lost about 10 pounds, sleep better (and later), and blood pressure is down - highly recommend retirement to everyone.
 @--0--0118 @--0--0118 @--0--0118
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
I hear you exactly on both counts. My wife actually has a 'honey don't' list! She thinks I work to hard on projects everyday but when I see something that needs done, I put it on the list. It's just my personality. I do projects the same way I do hunting, either all the way or stay out of the way. I prefer all the way! As far as the weather and hunting, I guess I fall in the same way. We can choose to be a little more picky the days we go. I still love being in the woods but if it's going to rain hard or storm, I will catch up on projects that day (inside) and then hit the woods when it clears. I still don't mind the inclement weather but when I was working, like you, I would be out no matter what. Well, within safety reasons that is. When all is said and done, I am enjoying retirement, even if I do work harder now that when I was working!
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Online Madgomer

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »
I do a lot more physical labor for sure these days, and often fall into bed pretty exhausted, but it's very different from that mental exhaustion I had before - and obviously a lot healthier too.  I haven't seen the "don't" list at my house yet - still in the mode where she hijacks my list and adds things to it.   @--0--0126
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »
Awesome bick there Mad, congrats!
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2019, 07:58:53 PM »
did you put a tape on him? with and w/o the missing point
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
did you put a tape on him? with and w/o the missing point
All I did was check the outside spread (a bit over 20").  Would expect him to score in the upper 120's, just a guess.  There was enough of the broken G3 to still count as a point (barely), so with the one sticker he was an 11.  He actually had pretty good symmetry if not for the broken tine. There wasn't a lot of mass there which was a bit of a surprise given the genetics in the area and the body weight.  Took a picture of the jawbone but haven't spent the time yet to figure out the age - I've never really been great at that.  After I get back to finishing up the skull I will probably take a stab at measuring him just to see where things fall.
and enjoy it!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:49:34 PM »
Congrats! Really nice buck!
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

New Page 3