New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 10-9-2019 - Final Day!  (Read 200 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 10-9-2019 - Final Day!
« on: October 09, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »
First of all, it was a perfect day to be at the range! I emailed the guys this morning telling them with the Cooler Weather and the time of the year and it getting close to opening day in TN, be prepared to have a long wait for a bench to open up at the range....Well, the place was empty!! No one was there around 3:45 PM.....there was one guy that was packing up to leave when we got there (one of my former work buddies)....Absolutely no one was there! just the two of us and the time was 74.3 when we got there and ready to shoot and the temp was 79.7 when we left the range to go eat Mexican about 6:15ish or so.....The weather was perfect, a slight breeze from your back to front and you could sit on your tail gate on your truck in the direct sun and not sweat a drop...low humidity at 47%. I wore shorts of course!! All in all as I shot, then walk down and pull the targets....it was not till I looked at all four targets that I said it was a good day at the range!!!

The first one out of the case to shoot was last week problem child, that I your truly mess up on...trying to put a 280 into a 243 - daaaa! So today was different, I was focus and was determine to get the shooting in....and the Blaser R93 did not disappoint. It shot amazing well since I got it in 2011...have shot it several times since but this little jewel is ready for the woods, see target below...

The second target shot was the Cooper M22 7x57 it is a single shot bolt action rifle....it has and always shoot good groups...This was my first (but not last) Cooper that I purchase way back when....man can it shoot.....see target scan

The third target that was shot came from my cheapest 308...it is from Marlin, it is their model X7-HB it is a short 20" heavy barrel rifle in 308 Win....it shot the best group of the day and will have to do some adjusting the scope tomorrow morning after my coffee....but after shooting the first shot looked through the Vortex Razor 11-33X spotting scope and found it....I almost start to adjust the scope then but held off. Then I fired a second shot,this time you could tell by looking at the spotting and when someone yelled Clear I went down and saw that indeed there were two hole....the finally the third shot was next to the two...this rifle shot amazing well, I was using the 165 gn Nosler Ballistic Tip along with Viht 140 powder and CCI-BR2 primers...this was an experimental load that I loaded up for it....holy cow! Remember that this was my cheapest 308 to day, and put a Cableas 3-12X x 40mm scope on it...I think the scope was $120 bucks or something like that....with the $65 Burris Rings and the Picatinny rail I think I might have $350 in the rifle, maybe $350....

The last rifle of the day was my very first real rifle that I got back in 1971 and use the iron sites (when my eyes were good) on it then and in 1972 got my first Leupold VX2 2-7X x 33mm....some where along the way I change out the scope from a 2-7X to a 3-9X Leupold of course....back then there was the Leupold and Redfield scopes to choose from!! But I was telling Billy when I got it out that this rifle has sent a long of deer to deer heaven!! ....

Enjoy!! as much as I did today....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results 10-9-2019 - Final Day!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:10:28 PM »
Here are some of the range photos that I have taken.....Last post...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 07:10:27 AM »
One thing that I did see at the range that I have never seen before was a motorized skate board? One Wheeler is what it is called and I asked him about it as we all were headed down range to get the targets....he was using this "One wheel skate board" to drive him down range at the target boards!! Yes, he was a Millennium with an AR and a motorized skate boards....probably in his mid or late 20's......

Most of us walk down to the target boards to get our targets but not this guy....so I thought about it and said to myself - self "what-ever"......I was thinking instead of a quietkat that cost us $8K (there is no way I am going to pay that amount for a bike) but I might pay $500 for an electric quiet 3 wheel bike or scooter....so I did my research in the middle of last night and found out that there is whole new market out there for Electric 3 Wheelers!! Honda makes them and probably Yamaha as well......so time will tell about the future of the electric and how long does it run and how does it manage to take hills, what is the initial cost of the scooter and the cost of replacement batteries and when do you replace them....

How bout a used golf cart? Does anybody own one of those?

Attached is a pix of similar motorized skate board that I picked off the internet and the other is a 3 wheel scooter.......
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:18:18 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:05:35 AM »
That's funny, have not seen a "one wheeler" like that before.  The all-terrain Segways would be a good range tool for you Bo, especially when you are shooting long range.

But it would be tough to haul a deer on one!   --7-8-9
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 08:09:55 AM »
Those are some very nice targets Bo!! Nice shooting. As for the electric 3 wheeler or 1 wheeler I don't think it's for me-- The picture of one one you sit on might work but I got to many balance issues to stay on board the other ones.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
Bo

Electric is great if you have power.  Not sure if using a generator to charge a bank of batteries makes sense.  Having played a lot of golf and hunted a lot more I am sticking with gas UTV's and ATV's for now.  They have more power, range and reliability. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Online yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 08:59:14 AM »
Bo

Electric is great if you have power.  Not sure if using a generator to charge a bank of batteries makes sense.  Having played a lot of golf and hunted a lot more I am sticking with gas UTV's and ATV's for now.  They have more power, range and reliability.

me too.

a buddy bought a quietcat. i could see using one up north, but i would be afraid the wolves would think i'm a fleeing deer. by the time i realized i was being attacked it would be too late. i think i'll start the fight w/ my feet firmly on the ground. at least i would have a fighting chance
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 07:33:48 AM »
Thanks for all the good responses....I thought it would be a dull day until I started looking at the targets after retrieving them from the target boards...I got 2 of them when Billy showed up and wanted to put some targets up so I went down range (after a "Clear" was sounded at the benches and it was safe to walk down range) and grab the two targets that I have shot, the Cooper M22 7x57 and the Win Model 70A (the old man) in 270 Win., were the two targets that I grabbed and brought back, and put underneath the box where I keep all my ammo. This prevents the targets from being blown away. And talked to Jared and Billy, I saw them but did not look hard at them.....I was sort of complaining about the first shot from the old man (Win Model 70A) was sort of off the mark somewhat. Then we went "Hot" at the range again and shot the final two of the day..the Blaser R93 in 243 Win and the Marlin V7 Heavy Barrel in 308 Win....

The Marlin 308 Win shot the best of the day, on the second shot I asked Jared if he sees what I saw and it was the fact that the second shot was right on top of the first! He looked through the Vortex Razor Small Spotter 11-33X and said yes it was indeed two shots on the target. Then I shot the third one and sure enough I asked Jared to look through the spotter to see where the third shot went and sure enough it was through the same hole as the first....so yesterday morning after coffee, I went down and put the rifle in the vise and adjusted the scope. I am walking it in...I did some adjustments to the scope like half the distance, that was 2 clicks to the right and 8 click down...so we will see next time (next year) at the range.....

But all in all it was a good day, no critters to speak of but the guy with the motorized skate board beats everything that I had seen ever at the range..everybody looked at him when he zip past us but did not say anything....     

So today is decision day! What to take with me I have look over all the targets of the 16 trips to the range and have made my decision....last one end will be the CVA muzzle loader (easy to get out of the truck since it will be the muzzle loader....that is a no brainer....

Will take two rifles down with me next Tuesday....one being the Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor and the other one will be the ???.....one more look at the targets and I will decide...

As far as the electric scooter goes, no thanks I will stick to my gas powered ATV...for now....but it does make you think about getting to your stand in a quiet manner....... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
back during barry's rein of stupidity, there were gov't incentives for electric 'autos'. i believe it was 15-17K!!!! me and 2 buddies scoured the countryside for battery UTV's. it turned out, with a slight modification of the lights, they would be street legal and qualify for the +15K. as you know, the net would have been a pretty sweat deal.

as it turns out, all the dealers were way ahead of the game and sold every last one to their buddys. there wasn't one to be found in the 5 state area. believe me, we tried.

it's just another example of a terribly planned barry program failure. you throw an un-thought out  program and the results aren't at all as planned. barry had a ton of them!
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 09:58:19 AM »
I have notice that your buddy Barry O is awful quiet during this who process.....scared he will get caught...maybe he already has been caught, just waiting for the other show to drop!!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
Yea I agree with the Marlin versus the Cooper....This is the best that the Marlin has shot. Took it to the range 12 times and this is the best that it has shot. Also have new ammo load for it as well, so I will be keeping my eye on it as well...maybe I stumbled upon that magic load....I was using the 168 gn Nosler Ballisitc Tip....and Viht 140 powder, CCI-BR2 and Lapua Brass.....I will keep that load or around that load for 2020 and see what happens....

Funny thing I could have sold it to Jared because he looked through the spotter as well....I could have double my money for sure  --099-780

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad