New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: EHD  (Read 1297 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
EHD
« on: October 17, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
i hear EHD is real bad in IA. anyone else having problems?

the WI DNR biologist think EHD might be one reason myself and several buddies haven't seen +4 year old bucks for over 5 years in northern WI. since we have so many predators, nobody will ever know. they are gone before anyone could find them.

this could be just another diversion away from blaming wolves. i don't know if i will ever find out the truth. i just know i haven't seen a 4+ yr old buck on any cam up north is over 5 years. THAT'S CRAZY
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

TalkHunting Community

EHD
« on: October 17, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: EHD
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 05:46:01 PM »
EHD tends to go hand in hand with summer droughts when water is getting scarce and the midges that spread the disease thrive in the mud surrounding the remaining waterholes.  Have you been having those conditions?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:45:29 PM »
we haven't. i'm in WI, not IA.

actually, this guy was saying it was so wet this year that the muddy conditions caused more midge hatching than normal. I always heard it was during drought and it concentrated the deer and spreading EHD. I guess if the midges are dormant in the soil(I don't know if they are), his explanation makes sense. either way, IA has had issues for several years now. 2012 was real bad
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline NWIAdeerhunter

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 10 Point
  • Matthews z7 magnum, remington .270 bdl, TC Triumph
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 07:18:43 AM »
i hear EHD is real bad in IA. anyone else having problems?

the WI DNR biologist think EHD might be one reason myself and several buddies haven't seen +4 year old bucks for over 5 years in northern WI. since we have so many predators, nobody will ever know. they are gone before anyone could find them.

this could be just another diversion away from blaming wolves. i don't know if i will ever find out the truth. i just know i haven't seen a 4+ yr old buck on any cam up north is over 5 years. THAT'S CRAZY

If a deer dies from EHD not even a coyote will touch them.  back in 2012 when it was statewide just about every time you walked out into the woods you smelled a new dead deer, and they stink way worse then dying some other way.  This year EHD has only been real bad in the south eastern part of the state.  they actually dried out down there I believe.
tank of gas: $50
hunting licence: $190
ammo: $20
getting to spend time with family and hunting buddies: priceless

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
Yeah, southeast Iowa was definitely worse off than we were for rain this summer.  While we had 6-8 weeks of really dry weather, it was so crazy wet here this spring that many water sources didn't disappear, but over there and in west central Illinois it was worse. 

Here the coyotes were definitely eating the EHD deer, but there were so many dying I think they just couldn't eat them all.  I had one yote come through the woods when I was on the stand during our bad times a few years ago, he was literally waddling like an overfed house dog. I honestly thought it was a dog when I first saw it.  But yeah, the odor out in the woods was really nasty.

Yari, I suppose the dormant midge theory could be valid in a wet period, have just always experienced big die offs here in drought years.
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:19:29 AM »
This article was from late August, supports the rumors you guys are hearing about Southern Iowa.
https://www.radioiowa.com/2019/08/30/number-of-deer-and-iowa-counties-hit-by-ehd-has-increased/
and enjoy it!

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »
Yari, here's a link to similar info for Wisconsin.  Looks like some in the southwest, but not terrible.
https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/wildlifehabitat/disease.html
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 07:07:02 PM »
thx mad. I have to learn more. I wonder if the midges are like mosquitoes. do they stay dormant in the dirt until there is water? if I see anything I will post it
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »
OK, here we go. eggs are laid in muddy water edges. the healthier the water source, the better. dormant, stale water that nothing lives in is perfect for midges. they live in 2" of water. even mosquitoes won't live in this nasty water. also, the hotter the better. so ponds in the sun are bad. sand and rocky shores are good, mud is bad.

when you are making ponds for deer, keep this in mind. I use water tanks and the deer are really hammering them. I got lucky. I was originally going to make it look more natural w/ a pond
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »
IA DNR says there was 1600-1800 deer deaths this year due to EHD. if they are like WI DNR, that number is plus or minus 100,000 animal @--0--0105 @--0--0105.

FYI the WI DNR said the kill was down 25% due to lack of tracking snow and standing corn. TRACKING SNOW???????? I talked to a lot of folks that didn't see a single deer! the DNR is worried we will be overrun and will need to increase doe tags. I don't need to tell you where their head is located. they have had the herd overestimated for years and continue to increase tags ##$%#117 ##$%#117
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »
Sounds like they are sitting in their office spinning the wheel of excuses.  Might be a good idea for them to get off their keesters once in a while.
and enjoy it!

Offline buckone1

• 2015 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
We have had a bad year for EHD here in Indiana too.
I killed an 8 point buck in gun season and took it to a processor. They called me and said he had cysts and bruising in the cavity and they didn't feel it should be eaten. I think we have some TB here also.

Bought a bonus doe tag to use and fill my freezer.  @--0--0126

2011 Prize Winner
2015 Turkey Champion

Offline yari

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 08:36:17 AM »
We have had a bad year for EHD here in Indiana too.
I killed an 8 point buck in gun season and took it to a processor. They called me and said he had cysts and bruising in the cavity and they didn't feel it should be eaten. I think we have some TB here also.

Bought a bonus doe tag to use and fill my freezer.  @--0--0126

that's terrible to hear. I have a buddy that is in a CWD area and he regularly processing his deer and waits for the tests to come back. lately, every deer he shoots gets thrown out. not bad enough about the wasted deer, but he pays to process it, so he's out the cost.

i'm sure the butcher doesn't clean his gear between deer. won't that taint all the deer he processes? they need an instant or near instant test for CWD to prevent that
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
Yeah Yari, that's ridiculous to have to pay for processing before finding out if there's a cwd issue.  I highly doubt the processors are meticulous about cleaning their equipment between carcasses so cross contamination is potentially an issue depending on what they're testing.  What's the wait time for test results?
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »
mad-I think my buck last year was 3 weeks for tests. that was bow season. I imagine gun season is at least twice that w/ all the deer vs bow season
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad