New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hunting Season 2019  (Read 1791 times)

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: Hunting Season 2019
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »
Congrats to the freezer fillers!! Sounds like a good time Bo and you carried the right weapon in that Remington it looks pretty weather proof to me.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 10:09:18 PM »
Thanks for the good luck wishes for the 2019 season. As I get older, it is getting harder and harder to do the most simple common tasks. Losing your strength (testosterone) and balance (????) can get you in trouble in the woods in a hurry....yes it is a younger man sport, but I am not complaining a bit....sure beats the alternative!!!

Now onto present day, not to be a Debbie Downer!!! Sure glad I took down the Remington 700 LTR in 308 cause it rained and rained on Saturday....Sunday was a totally different day and so was Monday....

This year plan on taking the 700 LTR in 308 back down with me along with the 270WSM McWhorter with its Nightforce SHV scope, the Christensen Arm 6.5 PRC with the Leupold VX5 3-15X x 44mm, the Savage-Shilen Barrel with the Sig Sauer Scope (Whiskey 3) 3-9X x 40mm, the cheap one...and the Bergara B14 HMR in the 6.5 Creedmoor and the Tract Toric 3-15X x 50mm  scope, everyone that looks through this scope is impressed...using the 140 gn to 155 gn bullets this year....

When it Trick or Treat, it will be a treat for me to head South for the 2 weeks....should be an interesting time, before the rut, during the rut and post rut...should be a good time had by all...... --09--0

Along with battery banks and hand warmers and a few other things, I think I am just about set, got to take the 30 gallons of water down with me...this time it will be used for showers, about 6 or 7 of them....ready for Halloween to roll around here!!!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 06:22:42 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2019, 10:43:36 AM »
it looks wet down there again today. stay dry and good luck. i think the dripmaster left a cloud over you guys --099-780
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 06:25:31 AM »
Yari - Thanks yes it will require the rain suit and lots of patients and looking....went down for the first time and the first thing I did was to spray silicone on the main blind...use a whole can of Atsko spray....and then on opening day it rained and rained....did not even go out! First time that has happen! But Sunday morning it was dry inside and according to the guys who have use it for a long time, it works great....at 70 the main goal is to stay dry and healthy...

But will head down on Halloween for our annual 2 week hunt and hope that it will rain every 3 or 4 days...can handle that but during those wet days will be in blind for sure. will take some hand warmers and dress warm and stay dry during those wet times, will also take down (again) the Rem 700 LTR in 308.

Have decided on taking the 270WSM McWhorter down with me along with the Christensen Arm 6.5 PRC and the Bergara B14 HMR in the 6.5 Creedmoor and the Savage Shilen 260 Rem and the along with the LTR....I generally take down the ammo container for that particular round but last night I was looking at the ammo and realized that all but the McWhorter and the Christian Arms are box magazines, so I loaded up two magazines each of the ammo so that will save me safe some space in the truck. Had to do some reloading for that reason last night (I only had 4 rounds available for the 6.5 Creedmoor and 3 left for the 260 Rem....so I reloaded last night a few rounds, no problem solved!

Will take down the 30 gallons of water for showers and miscellaneous usage, the 2000 Watt Honda with the parallel connection (just in case) we need 4000 watts for some unknown reason.....will also replace some of those small and short tent stakes with the longer screw in type for at least two spots on the main blind...also some more Deer Cane that I have ordered and it sure seems like I am getting them in almost daily...LOL...from Amazon....

Someone needs to come up with a orange waterproof cover for the blinds (it sure would be nice to have a blind that would accept the tie-downs for an blaze orange cover that would cover the top of the blind and make it extra waterproof as well) just a passing thought.....

I was just mentioning to the wifey that I am depending on more solar and rechargeable batteries these days...have been charging up the extra battery packs for the phone and have a light that is going on three years that has a solar panel for its power. Also have a Battery Tender solar panel that I use to recharge the ATV battery while I am down there (have a 120VAC Electric Tender that I plug in the ATV when it is not in use in the external garage....Since there is no power down at deer camp, we have to make due with what we have or can get.....

Have not heard from Split Toe or Deerhead who was down at deer camp this past weekend if anybody got one or two big boys this past week/weekend. Will keep you guys posted....but after Thursday morning, I will head South for two weeks or for 18 days for the pre-rut and rut time frame!

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 08:07:24 AM »
Good luck Bo safe travels.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline yari

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 09:17:38 AM »
bo- i believe there are orange tops for blinds. they don't cover the entire blind, but the top hub
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 02:42:39 PM »
Hi Bo
I did not go last weekend I stayed home taking care of the todo list!  Painted the garage doors, purchased new ceiling fan, flood lights and food for hunt week!  Wanted the wife happy before I left town for 11  days!  Started packing the truck and gassed up the ATV.  I think I have everything. Just need ice in the cooler and hook up the trailer.  I'll see you in a couple of days,

I have not heard from Split Toe.  I know he was there last week.  We should have heard from him if someone filled a tag.  Drive safe. 

Good Luck everyone!     
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 06:18:02 PM »
Thanks Deerhead for the info, have not heard from Split Toe either...oh well....

Went through my list one more time (again) today and will start packing tomorrow, one day ahead of my regular schedule loading, and will hopefully get things done tomorrow after we get back from the Doc Office....I had a scare the other night, was sound asleep (something I rarely do these days) and around 2:45 AM wife got up and told me that she needs to go to the ER!! I never knew I could throw on a T-shirt and a pair of camo short so fast, wore the boots into the ER got there at 3 AM and at 3:30 they had diagnosed the problem of Kidney Stones.....on the way there my wife being a retire nurse, diagnosed herself and told me that it was probably Kidney Stones...sure enough that is what it was. The working physician (a Florida Graduated and big football fan, but will not hold that against him especially at the time) told my wife that it indeed it was a Kidney Stone....so they gave her some pain pills and something for nausea. We filled the prescriptions at around 9 AM that morning

We got home to hear Rowdy the Republican Rooster announced that Prez Trump was doing his morning Tweeting....he does that a lot...both the Prez and the Rooster....LOL...but we are glad that all it was....now to present day. We will visit the Doc tomorrow morning and he will tell us what is next...hopefully he will tell us to wait a while and let nature takes it course, but the wife wants me out of the house and to go hunting and I want to be there for her.....she said that she had natural child birth for 3 of her kids including twins...I faint and that site and thought of the pain, but she said that she is a strong woman who doesn't need a man to take care of her....oh well so off to the woods I go on Thursday regardless of what the Doc says....her daughter is only 15 minutes away and we had some great neighbors!! Will be on stand by for a call from her telling me that it is time that I come home....hopefully not....

So tomorrow after the urologist visit, we will start loading the truck with all the goodies that UPS and USPS has bought me since I have gotten back...more flashlights, have more flashlights that 308's believe it or not!! and put the generators in the truck, and the two packs of paper towels from Sam's Club. We will find somewhere to put it, the back of the truck will be packed again!!

Wish me luck guys and will see you Deerhead and Split Toe and others in the woods for Halloween and hopefully play Trick or Treat on a big old White Tail..either way it will work our for me....on the deer that is.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2019, 05:52:55 AM »
The next coming three weeks look very promising we have seen five really great bucks on trail cams this year. All shooter bucks and a lot of young promising bucks. Starting to see a lot of rubs and scrapping activity. Last weekend was uneventful with the rain and warm weather. I saw a small six pointer and a few of the guys saw does. Starting to get a few day time pictures of some good bucks. The seeking phase of the rut has started the next two weeks should be awesome with the cold weather moving in this weekend with low's in the 30's....  @--0--0133

Everyone have a safe season!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Frito Bandito
  • Contest Team Leader
  • 12 Point Droptine
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 07:37:07 PM »
Congrats to those that bagged one and good luck with the rest of camp.

I have come to realize I enjoy the preparation and rituals of camp as much or more than the hunt itself.
NRA Lifetime Member
NWTF Member
SummerBlast 2015, 2016
KY Meet & Greet 2017
WalleyeBlast 2016, 2017

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2019, 11:37:52 PM »
Thanks Split Toe for the update!! Yes, it should be good for the next couple of weeks....As far as the weather goes, we will deal with it....will hunt a few more stands and put out some game trail cameras along the way....

The Truck is packed full with propane and paper towels, rifles, ammo and flashlights, ready to rolls, put some air in the tires and even bringing down a 120VAC air compressor just in case we need it in camp, think everyone has a Air Compressor that you plug into the cigarette lighter....

It will be a wet drive down on Halloween, I will be careful and to drive real slow...LOL....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 11:44:28 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 05:13:32 AM »
Currently getting a sleet/snow/rain mix here.  Fa la la la la
Bah humbug!
Drive careful y'all
 @--0--0101
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »
16" buck chasing does under my office window today. not a tall rack, but fun to see

good luck
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 05:46:47 PM »
Well that magic time of the year has arrived for most of us. The next few weeks there should be some nice bucks taken. I'm headed to the woods in the morning for the next 16 days and the weather is turning cool with a low of 34 Friday morning. That should get things started here. Best of luck to everyone, have safe hunts and travels!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 06:44:50 PM »
heading to the cabin for a long weekend tomorrow. lows in the teens. it should be fun

good luck to all
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad