New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Hunting Season 2019  (Read 1730 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Hunting Season 2019
« on: October 14, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »
I have always said that my Hunting season starts on Work Weekend down at the Hunt Club in Ga. Get the Cook Shack in shape take inventory of what is needed and what is not is the number one priority, getting the campers in shape and see how the Summer Months has treat them is also important. Putting up blinds, checking on ladder stands, clearing paths to them...running the ATV, all of these are important steps in getting ready for the season....and oh yea, of course trips to the range is also important.

All of that has been done, today is the night before Christmas for me....today I will hook the trailer up and do my final loading up the truck. Check the truck vitals as well...air pressure on the tires, and did the oil change about a month ago, check the air filter and made sure that I keep an extra fan belt in the truck....so I think that I am ready for my trip....

All I have to do tomorrow morning is to load up the ATV, the guns and load myself into the truck and head South....It was the night before hunting season and all through the house, truck and garage, not a creature was stirring, not even me....will you get the drift of the the poem.... --099-780   
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Hunting Season 2019
« on: October 14, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BeaglePup

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Hunting Season 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 07:00:46 AM »
Way to go, I am still searching for a location closer than what I have to hunt if I am on a limited time schedule.

The Club I belong to is an hours and a half away and I was able to hunt a couple smaller parcels close to my house but one owner has passed away and the family has his 40 acres up for sale and posted the property the other has been leased by a hunt club that adjoins it and put in the lease members only during deer and turkey season.  The land owner did realize that language was in the lease when he signed it and let the club guys know he had 2 persons he always let hunt that he wanted to remain to be able to....NOT.
NRA, Buckmaster, NWTF Member
'09 Eastern Anniversary Party
'10 NE Anniversary Party
'10 Old Spanish Fort Hunt TH Hog Hunt
'11 Treasure Hill Outfitters Turkey Hunt
'11 & '12 Summer Blast, Pennyrile SP, KY
FO of the Eastern Star

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 07:37:42 AM »
Bo - I'm in the same process now, just got back from Michigan yesterday and I have until Thursday morning to get everything done. The combined deer/bear muzzleloader season has caused a few changes to the preparation and added a few more days at camp. That means more chili to be made, more soups and steaks for sure. More firearms, and ammo. It will be a truck load for sure but I think I can get it all done in time for an early morning departure. With all that in mind, it will be about 10 days with service to get on TH. Good luck to all those who will be hitting the woods over the next few weeks, be safe and wear those safety harnesses, your family is counting on you making it back home. With or without the venison.  @--0--0101
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:38:34 AM »
 @--0--0101  keep safe and have fun you all   ##$%#1118
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 09:24:58 AM »
good luck guys
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »
Have a safe trip and hunt Bo .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »
Thanks guys - And BP I remember hunting here in TN where I hunted was 2.5 hours in one direction!!! OMG....

Due to the rain moving in near Macon GA and when I get down there tomorrow afternoon, it would be heavy tomorrow afternoon and tomorrow night.....will hold off till Wednesday to leave TN....will try and leave around 7 AM or earlier and be down there around noon and be there for the afternoon hunt...have a million things to do down at the camp....

Like you Gut, have to drive down and stay a week, drive back and then drive back down on the 31st for our two week hunt....got a ton more stuff to bring down with me.....
I feel you pain......

Thanks guys and love the Academy Outdoors Commercial when they say to climb a tree and disappear...it our season.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 07:51:03 AM »
Sounds like fun there Bo And Gut good luck men!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 06:50:07 PM »
Thanks Blue - Hope so, especially the steaks on Saturday Night....long range forecast calls for rain tomorrow and for Opening Day or Modern Rifle on Saturday and Sunday!!! so I threw in truck at the last minute due to the rain - my handy-dandy, weather beaten, Stock scared up....Remington 700 LTR in 308 Win....I can take this gun apart in my sleep and put it back together again and the sucker still shoots 3/4 MOA all day long, no matter if you put 155 gn Berger or the 168 gn Accubonds in it, it does not matter...think it has 11.25" right hand twist in the barrel. The reason why I say that is that I bought the rifle back in 96 at Knob Creek and it did not come with a box of any papers on it, not even an owner's manual. I know I could do my twist test on it with my twist gauge, but have not do that yet....need to do that next year for sure so I will know for sure.....but I have put some clear finger nail polish on the round both where the bullet is seating and the primer area, this ensure that the powder stays dry during the heaviest rain storm....and put some plastic over the end of the barrel and go hunt....seems like a blind day for sure for me this weekend.....

So tomorrow morning will leave my house and head South for the Hunt Camp should be there in about 5 hours depending on traffic......
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »
That low dollar Marlin you shot last week might be another good foul weather choice for you Bo . . . .
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 09:52:48 PM »
safe travels
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 10:59:27 PM »
Mad - That is very true - but and the big but is that I have started walking it in to the center.....move it 3 clicks to the right (actually needs 5 clicks) and 8 clicks down (actually needs 12 clicks) so until I actual take it to the range and verify that it is indeed I am doing it right, I will not take it to the woods with me....you are not the first one that said something like that....it is the best it has shot, it is a new load so it is still in the experimenting phase. My Coppers are always on as well, if you remember the Custom Cooper M54 shot amazing well as well, but I every year I take the Rem 700 LTR to the range where it is solid as a rock, it shoots real good...so despite the rain I can wipe it down take it apart with two Allen screws and can clean it and put it back together in a heart beat....

The Marlin I found a bit of rust on it after the major flood around where the receiver bolts down into the stock at and around the end of the barrel....a 10 minute steel wool working with it and a bit of blue treatment. Maybe next year, I will be able to take it to the woods with me...you can bet that it will be one of the first rifles I take to the range with me in 2020.....

Yari - it will be a long day driving in the rain and all...so thanks and will check-in in about a week with everyone.......Bo 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »
Got in a few days ago and it was a rained out opening day down in GA...folks it rained all day long!!! Did not hear the first shots, and hunted all day Sunday (heard one shot Sunday morning) and Monday morning. Did not see anything except for the 4 mature gobblers that were 10 ft from me!!

Glad to report that TH members Jap51 and Cobbguy each put one in the freezer....Jap51 shot an 8 pointer that would surprise you at the weight of it. It looked small but it weighed in at close to 160 lbs field dressed. Cobbguy nailed a doe with his muzzle loader....we do have a ton of deer on the property this year...we have been letting the little bucks and does walk and hopefully that will pay off for us this year....

We had about 10 folks that showed up for opening day and we watch a bunch of football and caught a lot of Z's on last Saturday....I made it to opening day for the first time in many years, most of the time I head South for the last three days of Archery and the first three days of Muzzle Loader season, miss opening day for modern rifle season and joined the gang when the big hunt comes, which this year will start Oct 30 or 31st.....

Everybody that hunted the last few days saw deer.....which is a good sign.....so we will see, next week will head down for the two week hunt and we shall see what happens.....

Did take the Rem 700 LTR in 308 due to the weather...used it for Sunday and Monday...kept the 6.5 CM Bergara and the 270 WSM McWhorter in the dry camper...had a small flame from one of the camper stove burners going to keep the dampest out....Will take it (Rem 700 LTR) down with me again just in case it does rain some....

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 09:40:08 AM »
congrats to the successful hunters. you just can't fight the weather. we've had rough weather here to. wind, rain...

good luck next trip
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 10:14:57 AM »
Looks like another wet weekend for us in GA!  50% chance of rain Friday - Sunday.  (Dr Drip must be in town.  --099-780
However the long term forecast looks a lot better cool and dry.   I have canceled plans to hunt this weekend and will concentrate on next week.  Which is our prime rut week.  Everyone will be down for two weeks but I do not have that much vacation time  @--0--0100.  But like Bo said we have a good deer population this year.

Just looked at the DNR website.  Year-to-date "for our county" the total harvest is down compared to last year.  Last year at this time there were 340 deer harvested.  This year there has only been 120.  I predict we will have a good time starting next week when the temperature finally drops.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad