New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: 2 different loads  (Read 356 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
2 different loads
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
my buddy loaded me 2 different rounds. both are Hornady 168 gr a-max w/ federal 215 primers. one is loaded w/ 76 gr Rel22 powder, the other w/ 67.5 gr IMR 4350

based on my shooting this weekend, I think his ft/sec estimates are low. does anyone have a program to calculate ft/sec?

just to get unbiased input, I would give his estimates. based on what I see on different sites, he does appear conservative

thoughts?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

TalkHunting Community

2 different loads
« on: October 06, 2019, 09:34:38 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: 2 different loads
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 11:08:33 PM »
Yari, is this for your .300?  What barrel length are you running with?
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:52:40 AM »
Assuming based on load stats you listed it is for your 300WM. 24" barrel estimated velocities would be best guess IMR4350 3035 and RL22 3150.
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

Offline yari

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:49:55 AM »
26" barrel i believe. browning stainless stalker a-bolt .300 win mag
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »
Yari - I'll defer to the wisdom of DH for credible estimates on the muzzle velocity.  His response this morning is in the ballpark of what I was seeing with a couple of my favorite on-line sites.

You mentioned he loaded the A-max bullet though - I was under the impression that was a thin jacket bullet intended more for paper punching than hunting.  Are you planning to use that one on deer?  If so, penetration might be a concern (it should dump all of its energy in the animal but if you like pass-thru shots it may not be your best option).
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »
Yari - I'll defer to the wisdom of DH for credible estimates on the muzzle velocity.  His response this morning is in the ballpark of what I was seeing with a couple of my favorite on-line sites.

You mentioned he loaded the A-max bullet though - I was under the impression that was a thin jacket bullet intended more for paper punching than hunting.  Are you planning to use that one on deer?  If so, penetration might be a concern (it should dump all of its energy in the animal but if you like pass-thru shots it may not be your best option).

I don't know why he picked this load. he made me 4 boxes. I've read several reports on this load and you are right. all energy is left in the animal. around here, that will be a benefit as I don't want stray bullets passing through. the one deer I shot in SD went straight down at 280yrds. definitely not using for anything bigger than deer
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 12:39:47 PM »

I don't know why he picked this load. he made me 4 boxes. I've read several reports on this load and you are right. all energy is left in the animal. around here, that will be a benefit as I don't want stray bullets passing through. the one deer I shot in SD went straight down at 280yrds. definitely not using for anything bigger than deer
Dumping all of the energy from a .300 Win mag at 300 yards would be enough to knock down most any whitetail/muley I expect, probably makes a pretty significant mess of the boiler room.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 02:24:54 PM »

yes it did

how much difference in ft/sec will the 26" vs the 24" barrel DH referenced? any idea?

Dumping all of the energy from a .300 Win mag at 300 yards would be enough to knock down most any whitetail/muley I expect, probably makes a pretty significant mess of the boiler room.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 02:41:50 PM »
At some point additional length won't translate into additional velocity, but this article suggests you might get an extra 60-80 fps with a 26 over a 24" barrel.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »
At some point additional length won't translate into additional velocity, but this article suggests you might get an extra 60-80 fps with a 26 over a 24" barrel.

that's getting closer to my shooting results. I had a 3 shot group of 3/4"  at 100yrds 2" high. I went to 300 yrds w/ 3" group only dropping 4-5" total. that's still a smaller drop than 3200fps dictates, but closer than my buddies estimate would dictate
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »
Sorry Yari, forgot to attach a link to the article I was quoting.  I just looked at the slope of the line in their graph of velocity vs. length as they chopped the barrel to get the 60-80 fps estimate. 

https://rifleshooter.com/2013/12/300-winchester-magnum-how-does-barrel-length-change-velocity-a-16-300-win-mag/
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 09:38:05 PM »
that's funny mad. after you forgot to post it, I did a search and found the exact article and a few others. it seems like 30-35' per second per inch is the common response.

thx
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 10:36:53 PM »
I had always heard the old rule of thumb was 40 fps per inch but there are so many variables that can influence it that you really need to find some caliber specific data to get a credible estimate for your situation.
and enjoy it!

Offline Dutch-Hunter

• 12 Point Double Droptine
  • Doin' what I love!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 06:01:42 AM »
The length of the barrel is only one factor in velocity. Bore condition is another as well as jump space. Each of the 2 loads will generate different harmonics thus will perform slightly different. Using a chronny is the only way of determining actual velocity. The velocities I guessed at were from past experience and data. You are both correct each additional inch of barrel length will result in 30-50 additional fps in velocity. This is only a best guess but is usually pretty close.

Point blank zero will be between 223 and and 228 yards. Again this is a best guess estimate.

Carry on...Dutch out....Dang almost forgot...

Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!!!
OKAY better now bye bye  ;D
Gun Geek! Proud of it!
Old enough to know better!
TO old to care!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad