New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Winchester Model 59  (Read 242 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Winchester Model 59
« on: October 03, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
Learned something new tonight.  Was scanning our local on-line classifieds for guns (a daily ritual) and saw a new listing for a Winchester Model 59.  Never heard of that model so I went out and looked it up.  For a gun that hit the market nearly 60 years ago, I'm pretty impressed.  Shocked I haven't heard about it before.  Here's a link to a short but informative article about it.  Interchangeable choke tubes (optional) and a fiber wrapped barrel?  Seems pretty radical for that point in time.   The one I saw for sale tonight has a fixed choke, but depending on the condition might be a decent buy at $350 if one was into collecting such things (I probably don't need another 12 gauge - now I'm starting to sound like my wife).

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/back-future-winchester-model-59/
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

Winchester Model 59
« on: October 03, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Winchester Model 59
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »
never heard of it. did they have adjustable chokes in the 60's?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:18:06 AM »
New one on me as I never heard of it. Growing up my Dad was a big Browning and Remington fan.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:07:24 AM »
Amazing, I guess we are never to old to learn something new  @--0--0118
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 09:04:30 AM »
Never heard of that model but it was as the article said ahead of it time. nice looking piece may have to look one up.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 03:57:45 PM »
There were several adjustable chokes in the aftermarket back then, like the Polychoke, Cutts compensator, and the Weaver choke system (I have that on my old Model 12).  This is the earliest one I know of that was a factory offering, I'm guessing it was a precursor to the Winchoke.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 08:24:23 PM »
Mad - I have forgotten the why Dad went with the Remington over the Winchester until your post. That is amazing, I do remember back in the early 60's when Dad was interested in Shotguns, the two brands he was looking at was the Winchester and Remington, the Ford and Chevy of their day back in the 50's thru the 80's. One of those Shotguns was the Model 59 and the other one was the 1100....We (the family) had purchase Dad a Remington 742 in 30-06 a nice Christmas present in 1962 and he decided to buy the Remington simple because to keep the same manufacturer as the rifle.

Two years early he purchase a Marlin 30-30 (336) with a 4X Revolution (Western Auto) scope on it from an ad in the AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution). Dad asked why is she selling the rifle, she told him that he husband was killed by a bullet that was deflected off a huge bolder that was close to his stand...they had to extract him from the stand and the stock had a crack and the scope had a ding in it from being dropped....Still have those 3 firearms today!! I was there for all three purchases as well....what a shocker....

I often wished that Dad would have gotten the Winchester 59 instead of the Remington 1100, both looked almost the same without the vent barrel and have schematics for all three firearms....the Winchester 59 was a better built shotgun that the Remington 1100...but Winchester had put it out 2 years before the the Remington....Dad was a Chevy man and I was a Ford man...it was that way for so many years...I think I have 4 Ford Trucks to his 3 Chevy Trucks...LOL....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad