New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 10-01-2019  (Read 380 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 10-01-2019
« on: October 02, 2019, 01:24:51 AM »
Let me tell you that is was hot as blue blazes yesterday at the range...the wife asked me for the third time if I want to do this....it was stiffening at the range yesterday. Got to the range around 4 PM (hottest part of the day, I know, believe, I know) read the temp before I got started shooting and it read 94.1 Degrees F...when we left it was 96.5 (around 7 PM (It had cooled from 97.7). The mirage was low but manageable, it drifted left to right....the wind was at my back. It was blowing at the targets, it was a West wind 0-5 mph....the BP held steady at 30.29 Hg MM while we were there....this week there was no one at the range when I got there and one poor guy showed up that had not shot very much and I felt sorry for him and gave him a Ball Starter (I have 4 of them, now 3) but he was putting a towel over the ramrod pushing the T/C Sabots bullets her had gotten at Walmart. The poor guy did not even bring a stapler with him or a pair of binoculars or a spotter...so when we left, he was beginning to shoot...he wasn't even sure about the distances and asked Billy and I about them....   

But it was very hot there, I went through 3 bottles of water while I was there. I even brought a sweat towel with me and used it often....the weather person said that it was suppose to cool down this weekend and next week it is suppose to rain a few showers!! Yippie...we like most of the folks in the South need the rain.....According to Billy, we might squeeze in trip to the range next week or the early part of the week after...then we got to shut it down for another season at the range....of course I will start in February with the Turkey Shotguns and a few rifles.....but for now, I'm leaning toward the 6.5mm year this year.....

But first up was the 270 WSM McWhorter rifle with it Nightforce SHV scope on it...it shot OK but not great.....shot a 1 MOA for 3 shots....the 2nd on I shot was the 50 Caliber Muzzle Loader - I did not clean this rifle on purpose!! Normally I will clean it after a trip to the range, but the last couple of times the 2 and 3 shots have been more accurate than the first shots!! so as a experiment, left this one dirty...but I will clean it after the Muzzle loader season is over....

Third one was a 280 Steyr M96 Prohunter (looks just like the 7mm-08 that I have), have them sitting in the gun safe next to each other. It shot OK. I did adjust the scope right there at the range after I got through shooting....but move it 3 clicks to the left and 1 click up....

Last one was the Blaser R93 in the 280 Rem....like Split Toe, love the 7mm, .284 diameter bullet...it has the efficiency that one needs and the down range energy....need to look at 7mmWSM as well next year....but this rifle shot OK, just OK yesterday, have better groups that this one....but it was hot.....

Did take the 243 Win in the Blaser R93, but did not shoot it. took pictures of it but did not shoot it.....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results 10-01-2019
« on: October 02, 2019, 01:24:51 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results 10-01-2019
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 01:34:55 AM »
See Pictures...picture one is of the 270 WSM in the McWhorter with it Nightforce SHV scope.....picture two is of the 280 Rem Blaser R93 with is Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X scope on it......Picture 3 is the the 280 Rem in the Steyr 280 M96 Prohunter (this looks just like the Steyr 7mm-08 that is my wife rifle, it too has a Zeiss Conquest on it....last picture is of the 243 Win in the Blaser 93 with it Zeiss 3-9X x 40mm Conquest Scope on it.....Did not shoot this rifle....

The Blaser R93 (1993) are amazing rifles, any Blaser is an amazing rifle....the R8 (2008) is the latest rendition and it is even more amazing that my ancient R93....

Last Post....enjoy as I did....Bo   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:51:26 AM »
Not bad shooting for that type of heat. That hot weather just saps that energy right out of you. Looks like things are ready to head south. We need some rain as we've got a state burning band in effect...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 07:16:36 AM »
Good shooting Bo, you need an airconditioned range. It was 90 here yesterday, a high record since 1889 on Oct 1st.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 07:40:12 AM »
Nice shooting Bo and some nice looking rifles!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 07:56:02 AM »
Bo, Nice shooting especially as the sweat was raining down.  Those were some tough conditions!  We have been setting all kinds of records with these temperatures.  However, temperatures are supposed to start dropping starting Saturday.  Just in time for muzzleloader season which opens next weekend.
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 08:48:00 AM »
you can keep that heat. we had 72 dewpoint on monday and it just sapped me. we are cool again now ##$%#115

nice looking rifles
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 09:01:33 PM »
Well guys I screwed up....I tried putting the Blaser R93 280 Remington into the Blaser R93 243 Winchester. I was talking to Billy when I was not paying attention to what I was doing and thought I have put the 280 ammo up and gotten out the 243 ammo....Daaaa...that never happen....The Blasers are engineered in such fine detail, that once I saw what I had done, it only took me a second to realize that I screwed up, is that put the rifle back in the case and brought it home with me......the back of the bolt raps completely around the case and the back of the case can only center up to the bore....this is how Blaser, and Sauer and Helix does it....it is amazing how a Blaser works, imagine the R8 Series, I have only looked at them in videos and read about them in magazines.....I tried to remove the bolt but with a round in the bolt face, it will not allow you to pull out the bolt...with a round in the chamber (this round a 280 Rem, could not fit in a 243 Win chamber) the bolt is locked into place. 

This morning after I had my coffee, I had to face the music of trying to fix what I had screwed up....I put the rifle in the gun vise and looked at it and realized that if I could put some needle noise vice grip plies on the bullet I could wrap the plies around the bullet and then slowly pulled the bullet out...I looked in my pliers draw and found the exact ones that I needed.....at first I thought I was going to have to pull the bullet out of the brass and empty the gun powder out into the base of the Blaser...but the bullet came right out without me destroying the bullet at all, just a few marks on the bullet it self, I have a 1/4" to play with and with that space I was able to remove the bullet from the grasps of bolt face....once I grip the bullet, it took all of 10 seconds to remove the whole bullet....it took longer to find the tools I needed to remove the bullet than to remove the bullet itself....LOL.....so I screwed up royally and will not ever do it again...this is the first time in over 50 years that I have done that!!! It won't happen again...I promise....Safety, Safety, Safety First is my mantra....

That is the reason why that this week you did not see any targets from the Blaser R93 in the 243 Win....so next week I will have some targets...don't know if anyone notice that there was a picture of the Blaser R93 (with the Wooden stock) in 243 Win but there was not target in the list....because there wasn't one....

But thanks for all the positive feedback....I don't think that I would have missed a deer in the last 4 or 5 Range visits....Yes the heat as incredible, it was 96.4 F when we left....so yes it drained the life out of one....I had to stop for a moment at the Target Stop at 100 yards away when I pulled the targets.....I went through 3 bottles of water, each time I stopped and to let the barrel cooled down I grabbed the water bottle and took a swig of water....This was the first time that I had shot all four rifles this year!!! the old CVA Muzzle loader is the only one I have taken about 5 times this year....so I am happen with them....all the scopes were not set on max power, but about 75% to fight the mirage, normally I will put the scopes on half power.......

Will be headed out there next Wednesday or Thursday. It should be cooler and the crowds will be out there too!! Don't know what I will take to the range with me except the R93 in the 243 Win.....

Bo

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:07:21 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »
yikes. that isn't good. i've made the mistake in the heat of battle w/ my 12 gauge. i put a 3" into a 2 3/4". that was a pain. now i have a separate vest for each. back then i didn't and was a poor college kid. now i'm just a poor adult @--0--0105
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 07:14:05 PM »
Yari - Maybe I'm just old!!! Maybe I need to give away all my rifles except one or two...just kidding folks.....

I will going to the range on Wednesday 10-09 for the last time for sure...cause have to pack for Part one of four trips that I will be making this year...hope the guys can stand me down there for that length of time....almost purchase a few years ago 11 acres for $55K and could put a double wide on it for starters...about a mile from our land....

But this year will stay and extra day of two for each hunt and hopefully I will get lucky this year.....

Will gather up my little piles of "stuff" and put them in one big piles and on Sunday will start the packing. Started the ATV and let it run for 15 minutes, and did the same for the Honda 2000W generator. Looked at all the targets I shot this year, already started that look at them (everyday) and the 308's have the inside track, but the Coopers are closing fast with the Blaser's and neck and neck.....and the dark Horses are the Christian Arms and the Bergara.....But again I won't decide until I started loading them up....

IT OUR SEASON, SO LET GET OUT THERE AND HUNT!!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
Yari - Maybe I'm just old!!! Maybe I need to give away all my rifles except one or two...just kidding folks.....

I will going to the range on Wednesday 10-09 for the last time for sure...cause have to pack for Part one of four trips that I will be making this year...hope the guys can stand me down there for that length of time....almost purchase a few years ago 11 acres for $55K and could put a double wide on it for starters...about a mile from our land....

But this year will stay and extra day of two for each hunt and hopefully I will get lucky this year.....

Will gather up my little piles of "stuff" and put them in one big piles and on Sunday will start the packing. Started the ATV and let it run for 15 minutes, and did the same for the Honda 2000W generator. Looked at all the targets I shot this year, already started that look at them (everyday) and the 308's have the inside track, but the Coopers are closing fast with the Blaser's and neck and neck.....and the dark Horses are the Christian Arms and the Bergara.....But again I won't decide until I started loading them up....

IT OUR SEASON, SO LET GET OUT THERE AND HUNT!!!
I call dibs on the BoBallistic gun giveaway!  Don't worry, there's enough for everyone, but I get first pick.
Us retired/fixed income guys gotta grab those opportunities when we can you know.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 04:13:49 AM »
Mad - You are right in so many ways...not telling how many I own but there is a lot of them.....

After looking over the list of rifles, will take the cheapie Marlin XV-7 bolt action 20" heavy barrel in 308 that I got off the internet about 5 years ago.....It was very cheap to buy and another Vortex CF2 on it...for under $300 for the rifle and another $130 for the Vortex and about $35 for rings  for the total package...and it doesn't have the tolerances of  a Cooper or a Bergara but it still shoots 1 MOA (good enough for deer hunting) Will also take the Blaser R93 in the 243 Win....and a couple of more that I will decide on today...more review of the list!!

Just looked at the last target and it was in June 2016!!!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:52:01 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 07:56:00 PM »
The way your recent target looked on that Marlin, it's tough to justify the money for a Cooper!   --7-8-9
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
The way your recent target looked on that Marlin, it's tough to justify the money for a Cooper!   --7-8-9

I was impressed w/ the marlin to
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad