New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Trouble With Scope(s)  (Read 575 times)

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
Trouble With Scope(s)
« on: September 28, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
The buck I killed last week had a semi high hit but still did the job. I figured it was me in the moment. I've noticed when I discharge an arrow after hunting it seems to be a bit gh as well. So I went to check the scope and sight in today. It was shooting high and to the left consistently. It was spot on last time a did this. I tried to make adjustments for both elevation and windage and no matter what I did, the point of impact would not change. I even tried to crank it excessive just to see if it would move and still nothing. This is a TruGlo scope. So I take that off and put on the scope that originally came with the Barnett Brotherhood crossbow. It is shooting around 5-6 inches to the right. So I try to make the adjustments and again, nothing moves!  Just like the other one. Not sure why I took the Barnett scope, think I just wanted to try and upgrade but I thought it was shooting well. Any thoughts? Two bad scopes? I am perplexed and frustrated right now. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
'Honor Begins At Home' (from the movie "Courageous")

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
Re: Trouble With Scope(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
BC, I had problems with a Bushnell scope that didn't seem to hold the settings.   I would try to chech it out, and it would be off.  I had to sight it in a number of times, and yet when I went hunting with it, my shots would be off enough that I only wounded the deer.  I had it on a Rem 870 12 ga, shooting slugs.  The scope held zero just fine for a few years, then started screwing up. When I returned to the factory for repair or replacement, they told me it was over centered, what ever that means.  I sort of lost faith on the scope, but now is on my Axis 223.  So fart, it has held zero just fine.
I would recommend you turn one knob all the way to the right, then the left, counting the number of clicks or tick marks. Then, move the setting back half the number of clicks or tick marks.  Then, repeat the procedure with the other knob.  That should "center" the adjustments.  Now you can proceed to sight it in the usual way.  Let us know if this helps.  If it doesn't help, my guess is the next step is to contact Truglow, and Barnett.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
Thanks! I will give that a try and let you know what happens!

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 08:48:10 PM »
One other thing to checkout is the rail that the scope sets on most are lose to start with  i tightened mine when I put on a new scope and after some shooting I noticed it had loosened up again .  ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 08:57:19 PM »
I will also double check as well!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »
Arrow rest moved or loose parts?
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 08:33:04 AM »
Noticed when taking the existing scope off the back two scres holding it to the rail were looses> Crossbow issue!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 08:54:02 AM »
Noticed when taking the existing scope off the back two scres holding it to the rail were looses> Crossbow issue!
The rail is your problem...use gun tight on the screws and let set over night. Then remount your scope using clear polish on the screws and give it a try. If you do upgrade your scope I recommend a Hawke crossbow scope.
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 02:29:54 PM »
Michigan Louie, I reset the clicks on both scopes. I left the Barnett scope on and went and tried it at short range. Consistent groups off center. Made some adjustments and the poi actually moved! I went a little further and of course, the poi was different but made some adjustments and the poi came back in. I prefer the TruGlo scope so I switched them out, hoping I would have the same success as the Barnett scope. And I did. I am shooting with straight field tips for now at 23 yards and dead on. Had to make some adjustments along the way as I moved the bag out further. I have field points from NAP (I shoot the NAP Maxx) that are not the normal looking field points but shoot the same aerodynamics as the machanicals. I will try them later or tomorrow and see how they line up. Might need to make some minor adjustments but hopefully I am back in business. Thanks for the help! I will keep  you posted!

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 08:28:32 AM »
It sounds like you may have corrected the issue, stay on top of it. You may want to check the zero at least the evening before you plan the next hunt just to verify. Good luck and I hope you have no further issues.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Bearclaw

• 12 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 08:55:30 AM »
Sounds like a plan, thanks everyone!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 03:21:06 PM »
Glad to hear it's working well for you, BC.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

New Page 3

Google Ad