New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results for 9-27-2019  (Read 262 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results for 9-27-2019
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »
Yesterday sneaked off to the range for a while, had to check out the CVA Muzzle Loader and check out three 308's that I have not shot at all this year....it started off with the morning crowd. Got there around 10 AM and the morning folks were still there. So I have to wait about 30 minutes before 2 of the 8 rest open up. It was 81 degrees and the temp was building up and it was going to be a scorcher. It was foggy so I started my drive over there with my lights on and before I had arrived at the range turned them off...it was hazy and overcast. I was there till about 1:45PM and had the place to myself (see pix). The weather conditions were changing rapidly...the wind was a constant 3 to 7 mph and around 1 PM it laid down and then the mirage started to pick up, it was getting hotter. When I left it was 89 degrees and humidity had dropped from 62% to 46% and it was still going down to a low of 36% at around 5 PM....the Barometric Pressure stayed steady at 29.13 Hg while I was there...

The first one out of the case was the old Custom Cooper M54 308 Win, heavy barrel and 12 twist and 19" long barrel. it shot very good...see pix....the second 308 Win out of its case was "Stumpy", this is a FN&H BPR (Stands for Border Patrol Rifle) with it's 16.25" barrel with 12 twist in the barrel, this sucker shoots good with almost anything you put in it...shot the 150 gn Sierra GK in it and it shoots good as well....see pix...

The third 308 out of the case was Kimber 8400 Twins. These rifles are identical, same scope, rings, cant levels. The only difference is the scope rings. Twin #2 have the Leupold Logo on the rings and that is the only difference...both have the Leupold VX6, 2-12X with Firedot reticule in the scope. Both shot good yesterday....

The last one out was the CVA Accura 2 Muzzle Loader, in 50 caliber, it has not been shooting what I would call "up to par" but yesterday shot it three times, made one adjustment and the last two were very good....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results for 9-27-2019
« on: September 28, 2019, 01:45:30 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results for 9-27-2019
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 01:47:53 AM »
Attached is the Smoke Pole target and a few other shots I took with the camera...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 06:28:07 AM »
My my Bo that is some fine shooting my friend. You were dialed in yesterday and just in time for the season. I like the new target with the small red dot...what's the old saying aim small miss small. Congrats on a great day at the range...your ready!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 07:35:33 AM »
Thanks Split Toe - Plan on going this coming Tuesday Oct 1st with Billy, boy it's going to be a hot one!!! But working on what I am going to take with me this week. Will probably take the 280 Rem Blaser and the 280 Rem Steyr along with the 270 WSM McWhorter and the 270WSM Savage....this is what I am thinking now.....will be for you and Deerhead!

Now what to bring with me for the on our annual hunt? Only time will tell....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 12:49:35 PM »
Hi Bo  I think those new targets are working well for you!  Your groups have been really good.  These are really good too!  Can't wait to see next weeks.  Especially the McWhorter.  What load did you use on the CVA?
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 07:09:01 PM »
Deerhead - Thanks for your post....the 64.5 Gns of Blackhorn 209, primer is the CCI-209, 300 GN T/C is the bullet I use...for years I have tried so many sabot and non sabot bullets, from 185 gn to the 325 gn and settle in on the 300 gn....have a bunch of Parker 325 gn that I am holding off and will hunt with the 300 gn T/C bullet since that is what I have zero the ML in so far....

Yes just a few minutes ago I was looking at the 270 WSM McWhorter rifle and the ammo that I will be using the same goes for the 280 Rem Blaser and the 243 Win Blaser and then the 4th one I will take Tuesday after noon is the 280 Rem Steyr....so it should be a good day, hopefully.....

I was hoping in getting some feedback on the new shoot and see targets. The smallest red dot is an 1 and the thing ring is the 2" and then the thicker 3 ring is the 3" group.....yea you certainly can see them much better than you can just the plain paper....will try and make this target my standard.....used them the last two weeks and so far so good....

I will be down at camp on Oct 15 around 2 PM and will put everything away in it place..yea right and then if time permits will get the last two hour of hunting in with the old Smoke Pole.....see you then.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 08:50:58 PM »
Looks like your ready for the fall hunt Bo . ##$%#1118
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 12:00:06 PM »
I was the last one to leave the range the other day and the next to the last guy there had one one rifle, and it was a gem of a rifle, it look like the standard Precision Rifle that so many manufacturers put out these days, wish now that I had gotten a photo of it....In talking to the guy, he was a retired Army guy who served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I thanked him for his service over and over again.....

His custom made rifles had a Jewel Trigger set at 8 oz, a custom lower made buy somebody local and same goes for the upper. It was a 300 Norma Mag and he was there just trying to work up a load, he had his LadRadar connected up. His Scope was a Kahles 34mm tube diameter and was probably the 5-25X and it cost over $3200 and the rifle he said he had over $10K in it....In talking to the guy he said that he has had 3 custom builds. He was shooting a 215 gn Berger Hybrid bullet...so I asked him where is his cant level at? He said he did not need one! and he said he shoots competition and some of his targets are over 2 miles away!! Holy cow, now why doesn't you need a cant level for that distance.......I told him that all my deer rifles had the Vortex cant levels on them...he said he looked at them and said that nobody makes a 34mm cant level...I told him that several manufacturers make them. I told him that Burris, Zeiss, Vortex, Nightforce made them....he said that he will have to get one then.....he also said that he is not a hunter, he said that he only hunting he did was while he was in Iraq and Afghanistan! I again thank him for his service....

Only Dutch can understand that kind of distance, 2 miles away....that is incredible!! At 600 yards, I get nervous, I cannot not see the 6 inch "dot" that is in the center of the 36 X 36 inch target I shot at...Wow....2 miles!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team