New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Thermal scopes - ATN Thor 4???  (Read 353 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Thermal scopes - ATN Thor 4???
« on: September 26, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
My inner frugal German tightwad is fighting a big battle now with my desire for a thermal scope.  The ATN Thor 4 in 1.25-5X has caught my eye as Midway has it on sale for about $1400 I think and ATN has a rebate besides.  The "4" series is supposedly an upgrade from their original "HD" line.  Any of you guys have any opinions on either one based on your own experiences at this point?

An alternative may be to buy a thermal monocular to use for spotting (yotes) then simply rely on my Sightmark Photon for the rifle . . . haven't been convinced yet that the monoculars are worth the investment though. 
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

Thermal scopes - ATN Thor 4???
« on: September 26, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Thermal scopes - ATN Thor 4???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:33:11 PM »
I have seen some video from one on the 6.5 Grendel forum , there is a ATN users forum also and they have a section for each of their scopes there . You can checkout what they are saying about the scopes there . I have a Sight II hd 3x14 scope myself . 
here's a link http://atnowners.com/
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 11:34:53 PM by sundowner »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline sundowner

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 08:42:20 PM »
Member NWTF
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Whitetails Unlimited
Member NRA 
 Member RMEF

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »
Thanks Sundowner, I spent some time on that forum this morning reading a variety of posts.  Facebook doesn't work well for me though as I'm one of the old knuckle dragging cave men without a Facebook account.  TH is as close as I've come to social media!
 ##$%#115
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 08:13:58 AM »
The best way is to show up at the store at closing time or dead in the winter say somewhere around the middle of December and try them out then, I have looked at ATN and they are very big scopes. I have looked and bought Sightmark myself but either way you are going to be happy for it...

When I was looking I was thinking about ATN, Night Hawk Optics, Pulsar, among the top scopes. I limit myself to a $1000 bucks, no more....and settle in on the simple to use Sighmark Proton 4, the 4.5x42mm...The ATN was very close and I put it on a dedicated 223 AR15 style rifle with a Armalite lower and a Shilen Upper...also purchase a separate Plano case for it. I have purchased separate Plano Cases for all of my speical 223, like the 6.5 Grendel, the 300 AAC Black Out, and the 6.8 SPC II and of course the Sightmark and the 223 Shilen Upper, deadly combination. The good thing about the Sightmark and the ATN (like most of them) they can be used in the daylight hours as well...I would say take extra batteries with you when you hunt, because mine Sightmark eats batteries...am thinking about getting a power pack for it, like I did with the LabRadar....it reallly helps to have a separate power source with you....

The ATN is a larger scope and have a good field of view than the Sightmark...it will be a hard choice, but think about what kind of hunting you will do as well......jmo...Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 07:31:10 AM »
My inner frugal German tightwad is fighting a big battle now with my desire for a thermal scope.  The ATN Thor 4 in 1.25-5X has caught my eye as Midway has it on sale for about $1400 I think and ATN has a rebate besides.  The "4" series is supposedly an upgrade from their original "HD" line.  Any of you guys have any opinions on either one based on your own experiences at this point?

An alternative may be to buy a thermal monocular to use for spotting (yotes) then simply rely on my Sightmark Photon for the rifle . . . haven't been convinced yet that the monoculars are worth the investment though.

Du musst der Versuchung widerstehen, mein Freund. Dann mach es doch!

Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »

Equinox Z Night Vision Monokulare von Bushnell sind das, was ich habe. Ich benutze es nicht viel. Kontrollen sind klobig. Schwere und gute Sicht bis zu 45 Metern auf einem Feld weniger in Wäldern mit Blättern.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital