New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Savage 220 Shotgun  (Read 484 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Savage 220 Shotgun
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 05:14:41 PM »
my bad I have 2 to 7 on my 835 mossburg shotgun the longer eye relief is need so you don't get scoped yes that does hurt had it dune to me also shotgun scope takes the pounding that a shotgun gives out
turkey season was a wet one now on to deer hunting in October

dave 1211

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »
Yeah, I've dinged myself a couple of times but fortunately didn't draw blood (but did need to readjust my glasses afterwards).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 12:11:43 AM »
Got on the phone yesterday mid morning and called the owner of the Savage 220 Shotgun and he told me that he has a regular 3-9X x 40mm Nikon Prostaff on it...he told me that the scope has almost 4" eye relief and that it has worked good on it every since he mounted the scope. He said that he will be bringing it back to the range today with him and will check it out then....He told me that it isn't drilled and tapped for a long relief type scope....but we will look at it today at the range......

I know what you guys are thinking that the recoil will cause you "scope eye" if you don't mount it right and I agree with you on it..when I shot it the recoil was modest and not brutal like on most shotguns...all of my Brownings BPS and the Benelli both the Black Eagle II and the Super Nova are 12 gauges and they kick me pretty good....so I was thinking the same about the Savage, but it was very mild.....

More later.....     
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 05:08:06 PM »
I see the camo w/ scope 220($600) and the 212($700) savages w/ scope are on sale at cabelas. the leo RX-1600 TBR rangefinder($280) is also $200 off.

you can't afford not to get a couple. spend your retirement savings wisely --099-780 --099-780 --099-780
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 09:48:38 PM »
Yari - Thanks for the info on the Savage Model 220 and other info......I have a 12 gauge BPS with a Hastings Slug Barrel on it...Lord knows how old it is....probably about 20 years old, if I had to guess.....

The model Savage 220 with a typical scope, base and rings and several different types and weights of ammo will probably set me back a grand when it is all said and done....I would also get me another 6.5 PRC and another 26 Nosler next year.....

Need to find me a job to supplement my retirement income, you know how it is on a fixed income???   ##$%#1119
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2019, 11:05:13 PM »
With the new year approaching and but for sure the Savage will be the first firearm for 2020....I agree with most everyone here that a 3-9X x 40mm either 1" or 30mm tube...and the eye relief of at least 4".....

I have not had time to look for the last few weeks with Christmas fast approaching and with the wife's kidney stone and her daughter foot surgery (today) and many other things going on (just like everyone else here, life gets in the way this time of the year)....

Will start looking locally and on the internet for a Savage 220....one of my friends that has one (Savage 220) tells me that the effected range is about 125 yards before it starts dropping like a rock....but most of my shots are 75 yards and in so I think I will be safe....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 11:52:15 PM »
Just got through ordering a couple of extra Savage 220 magazines from MidwayUSA a few minutes ago.....I am sure they will be here before Christmas to go in my Christmas stocking (really hoping to see my wife in her Christmas Stockings this year!!...LOL...

Someone here said it best....going to need a bigger room!!

But let see, have the rings, have the scope. Have the extra magazines headed this way and all I need now is to buy the Savage shotgun!!

So don't be surprised if I buy a stainless, camo stock, Savage 220 after I come back in from after the Christmas Hunt....start the year (2020) off on the right foot!!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 11:57:24 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2019, 10:21:08 AM »
enjoy. i may get one for emily's bear hunt. she has a remington 1100 now, but no slug barrel. i have to see how it shoots slugs at 20-30 yards. might be an excuse for me?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »
Still on track to get the Savage M220 late this month of first of March and then will start the process of scope mounting......a Nikon of all funny things...for the first scope on it, it may not be the last but for now it will be the scope Nikon Prostaff with the BDC reticule.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2020, 09:19:42 AM »
Still on track to get the Savage M220 late this month of first of March and then will start the process of scope mounting......a Nikon of all funny things...for the first scope on it, it may not be the last but for now it will be the scope Nikon Prostaff with the BDC reticule.....

have you found any deals out there? I have my refurbished Leo to put on mine once I get it. it will be a nice fit
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad