New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Savage 220 Shotgun  (Read 5587 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Savage 220 Shotgun
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2020, 10:24:31 PM »
Better buy em now if you think you need one folks, Bo is about to deplete the nationwide inventory!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2020, 10:24:31 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #91 on: August 18, 2020, 05:55:12 AM »
Mad - I do admit that I have about 50 of the 2 3/4" Federals and 50 of the Accutips and 25 Expanders and will be shooting 12 shots today along with the Muzzle Loader (just trying to get it on paper) along with the 243 that I was trying to "Walk In" and ran out of ammo...LOL...and the two inexpensive Mossberg Patriots, I think I have a grand in both rifles, scopes and rings...

It's Range Day and that has been a flurry of activity in the house already this morning....

But that's Mad, it would be a dream for me to buy them all out...LOL...

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #92 on: August 18, 2020, 08:57:37 AM »
news flash when looking for 20 gauge slugs most places said sold out to BO wow does he have clout

--099-780    ()*$%RT      ##$%#1118
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2020, 02:21:47 AM »
Guys - thanks for the comments, did a test yesterday on my Savage Model 220 Slug Gun....shot the Slug Gun 12 times yesterday and I tell you even though I have something called the BoSledge I could still feel the recoil, just ask my right shoulder, Ouch 12 times....but I had to find out what ammo that my particular Savage 220 Slug Gun liked...I have three choices that I had to choose from...with all the research and talking with several other folks with the Model 220 all of them said that the 3" shot best in it....

Target 5 was the 2.75" Hornady SST and Target 6 was the Remington Accutips and Target 7 was the Remington Expanders....

The results are in and yes I can say that the 3" 20 gauge slugs works best in my particular 220. Others will like the 2.75" in theirs, but mine like the Remington Accutips 1st and the 2nd choice was the Remington Expanders....

Here is how I conducted the test, I fired 3 rounds each, one each from the 3 choices of ammo I had...the 2.75 (Hornady SST) and the two Remington products, the Accutips and the Expanders.....after I had fired 3 shot (one from each of the three slugs that I was testing) into the bank. Waited 7 minutes between shots. The funny thing about all the shells is that on the first shot from each target 5, 6 and 7 was somewhere close to the bulls eye....but as I shot, the Accutips became the clear winner in my particular model 220....

Enjoy, Bo
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 06:01:01 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #94 on: August 19, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
is that at 100 yards? i will move back to 100 after the bear hunt

i agree, the accutips look good

funny thing is, i shot the 2 3/4" hornadys w/ a lead sled and only 25# wt. i normally use 50#. i didn't get a big kick. my daughter didn't say anything either except it was loud, even though she had ear protection. maybe the 3" will kick my butt(pun intended --099-780)
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #95 on: August 19, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
Having that first shot on the bullseye is important.  With shotgun slugs, it's pretty typical to only need one.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2020, 03:18:20 PM »
Yari - yes all shots these days are at 100 yards...but later on will move back to 200 yards on a few but will not on the Model 220....the good news is - in warming up for the test did shoot the bank at 400 yards away.....was aiming at a certain point and when I shot, the bottom of the bank exploded....so I figure it drops at about 4 ft or more at 400 yards....but for now will keep the shots for the Savage Slug Gun gun and the Muzzle Loader at 100 yards....

Mad - yes that was the funny part - on each of the first shots the all cut the bulls eye! funny I was stunned at them at first but then after the third shot we had a winner....like I said in my earlier post that the test was for mine and mine along Savage 220 slug gun....yours or others may be different....but the total shots fired was 12 of them...

Thanks for the comments....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad