New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Savage 220 Shotgun  (Read 5567 times)

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
Re: Savage 220 Shotgun
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
wow, didn't think anyone was on TH. must be humid everywhere.

mad- I just used remington slugger ammo. it's many years old. I was happy though. I was only at 25 yards, but all shots were 1 1/2x a golfball. they still sell it for $5 a box of 5. I doubt it would hold up at 100 yards

dave- I adjusted the trigger to the lowest setting. the pull is light. savage just makes the accu-trigger so you have to pull the 1st trigger back to the second before you can engage. once at the that point, it's great
  a lot different then in the old days when you need both feet to pull the trigger
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2020, 05:04:51 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2020, 08:36:04 PM »
Yari, those sluggers are just a bare lead Foster type rifled projectile.  In general, you won't want to shoot many of those through the rifled bore of your Savage, as they'll probably leave a lot of lead fouling behind besides giving you poor accuracy (I expect) as you stretch the distances out.  I've shot a few through a Hastings rifled barrel just out of curiosity.  As you saw, the accuracy up close wasn't bad, but in mine they really started scattering around as I got out to 75-ish yards.  Never really did enough to understand it, just assumed that the rifling on the slug was eventually trying to do its thing and competing against the spin imparted by my rifled barrel, screwing up the stability.  To be honest though, even out of a smoothbore it was hard to get good groups out at 100 yards with those things.  Fortunately I never had to shoot a deer with one past about 90 yards.  I dropped that deer, but to be honest I didn't hit where I was aiming - not saying that was all the fault of the slug.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
mad- that probably explains why the barrel took so long to clean. I figured they were a good 'get gun on the paper' shell. they are probably +15 years old. I don't remember buying them. if the Hornady 2 3/4" fly well, they will do the work for em's bear hunt.

I will shoot 3" when I deer hunt around here. I will look at the rem expanders or AccuTip. maybe the win dual bond, I've heard good things. I doubt I would get a shot much over 100 yards around here, but might as well plan on it
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2020, 10:31:53 PM »
Yep, shots that long at deer are a rarity for me, but now that I have more capable equipment I still like to see what they (and I) can do out beyond what I expect to encounter.  That paid off for me with a heart shot on a doe at about 140 with my smokepole a couple years ago.  I expect you'll get reasonable accuracy with most sabot slugs in that Savage, just takes time to sort through things.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2020, 05:29:05 PM »
round #2 came today w/ the Hornady sst's. very good ammo. I took the 1st shot, one click up, and Emily took over for 4 shots. the last 4 shots were same hole. she did great. she was feeling really good about her odds and very comfortable. the trigger was different. she wasn't use to the 2 piece trigger, but quickly adapted. we will shoot a couple more times for her comfort level, but she's spot on.

i'm very impressed w/ this slug gun. i'm looking forward to shooting longer distances
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2020, 10:25:00 PM »
Awesome - can't wait to see some pics of her with that bear tagged!
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »
Plan on taking the Savage 220 to the range with me on this coming Tuesday 8-18-20, and shot all three different ammo in it...now that it is on paper and sited in, will test the three different ammo that I have for it. Will shot three shots each for it and will alternate between shots meaning that I will shoot the 2.75 Federals first, then the Remington's Accutips then will shot the Remington Expanders....will post the results in range results 8-18-2020...check it out next Wednesday, will be to tired to post on Tuesday...

Will have to unload the rifles, then make sure that the data is correct on the target, then scan the targets in, then put them in their folders...then will have to clean the shotgun on Wednesday along with the other rifles....will do any adjustments after I get them home and put them on the work bench outside in the garage during the cleaning process....

Also plan on taking the CVA Accura 2 that I got back from the factory and will take both the Mossberg Patriots - the 6.5 PRC and the 308 Win....the big event will be the Savage Slug gun the model 220 to see which ammo is the best to use this season and then to get the CVA on paper and accurate enough to shoot the big one and then to verify that 6.5 PRC and the 308 Win are still on and that they are accurate enough to take to the woods this year with me.....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2020, 01:13:42 PM »
I forgot to mention. I used the bore snake to clean it and I worked great. thx mad. I didn't even think to buy one for a shotgun
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2020, 01:47:45 PM »
OK - I will order one or two of them from Midway....get a 12 gauge size or a 16 or 20 gauge size??
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2020, 01:51:55 PM »
Glad to hear it worked well for you Yari.  I've never found that it takes much effort to clean a rifled barrel if you shoot plastic sabots through it, seems like those things are almost "self cleaning" aside from a little burnt powder residue.

Bo - I'd just buy the snake specific to the gauge you're shooting (20 gauge for your Savage). 
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »
OK - I will order one or two of them from Midway....get a 12 gauge size or a 16 or 20 gauge size??

20 ga for your savage 220
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2020, 02:19:46 PM »
Guys - Thanks again, just order the 3 pack for the 20 gauge off of Amazon...should be here on the 18th will be here when I get back from the range testing out the three factory loads that I have on hand....

Madgomer - Interesting comments about them being almost "self cleaning...have shot my model 220 about a dozen times and cleaned it once...looking down the barrel with the bolt out of it and with the bore scope, it looks awful clean to me....

I will shot it 12 times - 3 warm up shots - and then three from each ammo...should be interesting but then after I get home from eating Mexican...the cleaning kit should be here.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2020, 04:08:54 PM »
Those plastic sabots seem to act like a squeegee, cleaning up what was left behind by the previous round.
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »
I shoot the remington sluggers through my 24" Hastings barrel, clean it every 4  or 5 years, lol. I only shoot one, or two slugs a year. As far as distance, I have killed deer at 80 yds, from a rest. I have also missed at that distance, too
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline yari

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »
bo- 3 20 ga bore snakes?be careful! those bore snakes might just bite you. you may find yourself buying dozens of them just like your magazine addiction. you may have to find a 'bore snake meeting' to talk you down.  @--0--0105 @--0--0105 @--0--0105

sorry bo. just having fun
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad