New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Savage 220 Shotgun  (Read 5568 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Savage 220 Shotgun
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
Picked up the Savage 220 mid day and got it home in time to put it into on of the two gun rest in have in the gun room...the other one is occupied but the Cooper M52 in 280...trying to fix it so that the shell would eject properly...was letting the scope base dry out from yesterday...like to mount them in two to three days....

I put the 220 in the gun rest and preceded to go ahead and remove the safety lock he put in place and then put the bolt in the Savage 220 and the finally go ahead and mount the scope using the existing Burris Extreme Rings (6 screws each) and mount the scope a little further out on the picatinny rail away from the eye....so did not mount a Vortex Cant level on it will do that tomorrow nor have I bore sighted, wanted to make sure that all parts and piece were accounted for....so now this old Ga boy who lives in TN has a Savage model 220. Need to align the rifle with earth and then like the scope up to the rifle and get the vortex can't level installed...then to the range....

BTW - I finished up the Cooper M52 also today....it is ready to be tweaked up see the post for all the details on it.....now what do I do, I know resize brass...and tweaked two rifles !!
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2020, 09:37:23 PM »
glad it came in as expected. i can't wait for the range report

I need to find time to level my scope. also, cabelas gave me the run around on the accutrigger adjustment tool. i have to call savage now. i hope they are more help
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2020, 07:03:48 AM »
Right after the Cooper 52 gets tweaked in then will put the Savage 220 in the same gun rest and will do the same for it...have to installed a cant level on it and then tweak it and how do you bore sight a 20 gauge shotgun....look down the barrel and line up the crosshairs with it? Once I figure out how to bore sight it will hang a tag on it saying that is "Bore Sighted Only"!

Yea me took can not wait till I take all those bore sighted rifles to the range with me....I will be there a while!! LOL.... --09--0
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2020, 09:29:11 AM »
Right after the Cooper 52 gets tweaked in then will put the Savage 220 in the same gun rest and will do the same for it...have to installed a cant level on it and then tweak it and how do you bore sight a 20 gauge shotgun....look down the barrel and line up the crosshairs with it? Once I figure out how to bore sight it will hang a tag on it saying that is "Bore Sighted Only"!

Yea me took can not wait till I take all those bore sighted rifles to the range with me....I will be there a while!! LOL.... --09--0

that's how i'm planning to bore sight mine. it comes bore sighted, but i will have to reset the scope since it's not level
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »
Yari - A little surprise awaited me. In my arbor case was two small rubber grommets that go onto the end of the shotgun or muzzle arbor. I have use the small one to bore sight several muzzle loader....but never had a change to use the other one...it turns out to be a perfect match for the 20 gauge diameter...I was astounded finding a little grommet that had never been used before, and lord know how long I have had it, I was looking at it and said boy that sure does look like the same size as the barrel diameter....sure enough I tried it and sure enough I hurriedly fitted the arbor with it...boy talk about being in the right place at the right time....could not remember when or where I bought it but now I know it works...I bore sighted it and got the Vortex cant level properly installed on it and got out the 2 extra magazines. After the Cooper fiasco I am so glad that things turned out right with the Savage 220 and Nikon combination....also if you notice the before and after photos of the Savage, I moved the scope up one notch on the Picatinny rail to give me better eye relief.....

See the final picture of the Savage 220 and all it's glory.... 
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2020, 05:46:06 PM »
looks great. have you tried to eject a shell? from the pic, it looks like the left/right scope adjustment might get in the way. it might just be the camera angle

I hope not. you don't need another ejection issue
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2020, 09:30:32 PM »
I think that's a one-piece rail over the top of the action so I'm guessing the ejector is kicking it more sideways than up - should probably pop it out clear of the scope knobs.   That's a nice looking package Bo.  Anxious to hear what you & Yari think after you get a chance to play with them on the range.

Bo - how are you liking that Tipton vice?  Saw one on sale somewhere a few weeks ago and considered picking it up.  Keep thinking I want to build one myself in the woodshop, but have had that thought for 10+ years now so really should just buy one.

One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »
Yari - Yes I did and it works good, not great but good, problem the previous owner shot it maybe 20 times, mostly at his range over in NC, and at least one shot at a big whitetail in Iowa...that is where he said "that is the reason why I bought the slug gun, after the hunt, which was successful, don't need it anymore, this is why I am selling it"

One of my buddies who hunts with one (Savage 220) at Ft Campbell KY (when he gets drawn) and in TN said that his uses the 3" Remington/Barnes slugs....tried find the same ammo as his, and he has the stainless/black stock version of the Savage 220 and it shoots great at the range last year, cannot find any 20 gauge Remington, but the web is full of the 2.75" 250 gn SST Hornady that goes about 1800 FPS MV....so we shall see if it likes these or not. Purchased 25 of them so we shall see......

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
good point. i should stock up on ammo. this virus has people hoarding. i didn't think slugs would be an issue

glad it ejected fine
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Zos41

• TH Staff - Moderator
  • taken around time HG and I were married
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »
Looks nice, sounds like you got a good deal on it. It should work well on deer where you must use shotgun
Zos41 retired on abandon farm in Northern NY
Life member of NRA
US Army Vet 65-68 SP5
2009 Eastern Party
2010 Campout
2010 NE party
2011 SummerBlast
2012 SummerBlast
2015 SummerBlast
2016 SummerBlast

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2020, 09:13:41 PM »
Mad - Love my Tipton gun vice. I had it over 20 years now every since I was told that cleaning your rifle indoors cause liver damage. I remember when you use to call the Sierra guys and talk to them over the phone...one guy told me that he clean his rifles a lot and his liver damage was caused by the fumes from the cleaning supplies....so from that point I cleaned my outside in the garage, both in Atlanta and here in TN....when I first got here I had only one vice, now have three of them.....one for outside where I clean, level, bore sight and tweaked the rifle...the other two are for the maintenance of the rifle I am using....since last years flood, I have added another vice to the collection so now I have three of them....

Zos - it was an average deal, since Nikon is getting out of the scope business, and the Savage was not of the stainless variety....so I think I have approx $630 in it totally with shipping and adding the Vortex Cant Level (with shipping it will run you around $40 for it...ouch! I do remember when I first started buying them they were cheap only about $20 plus shipping to your door).

I ordered today (5-6-20) 25 more slug rounds from Hornady of the 2.75" long, 250 gn slugs traveling about 1800 fps at the Muzzle....they should shoot probably under 2" groups at 100 yards...which is find with me....have 25 of them already up and ready for the range....

But I was tickled to death yesterday when I found the never used before 20 gauge slug grommet that came I had purchase for the Hastings 12 gauge barrel on a Browning BPS that I have use all of one times...whoppy....so it is in there with it Tasco 3-9X x 40mm WCP scope on it...it came with an integrated Picatinny rail built into the barrel...

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2020, 06:08:53 AM »
Got in the 3" Remington Accutips from Gunbroker yesterday, they came FedEx....will take the slug gun to the range Wednesday and see how they do....according to everybody I know here and on Talk Hunting, they said that this is the ticket to the accuracy of the M220.....hopefully stay tuned...Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2020, 03:12:59 PM »
just talked to my buddy. the and his wife only shoot 2 3/4" shells in their 220's. she shoots remington accutip and he shoots winchester supremes because they are flatter shooting. both cloverleaf at 100 yards. he gets 2-3" groups at 200 yards. she never shoots that far

hopefully your 220 comes around.
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2020, 03:21:56 PM »