New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Savage 220 Shotgun  (Read 5581 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Savage 220 Shotgun
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
Would like to hear what yawls comments or think of the Savage Model 220 shotgun. It shoots slugs at a very expensive cost of about $2.40 to $2.75 per shot - ouch! It's to late to get one ready for this year, but next year is in sight for me....I have a Leupold Rifleman scope 3-9X x 50mm I could put on it...but the stainless version with the camo stock is what I have my eye on for next year...Do anybody have one of these shotguns in TH Land? I could not believe how good this gun shot, and according to the owner, it is not particularity ammo sensitive....

I do have a Browning BPS with a Hasting slug barrel on it. It is a 12 gauge and it really jars you when you shoot it....almost as much as my 338 Win Mag, (but nothing kicks like that rifle does) but when Walmart put the Winchester Slug ammo on sale, I went and bought over 30 boxes for about $1.00 per shot you cannot beat the price and the darn thing shoot that ammo pretty good, about 2" for 3 shots (or under)...so I still have over 300 rounds of the 12 gauge ammo left....

One of my most memorable shotguns was the Marlin Good Gun - with its 36" barrel and detachable box magazine, it would beat the crap out of your should, back in the 70's when I was much thinner! LOL....kept it for about 10 years or so and traded it to a real goose hunter!! LOL...

But would like to get a 20 gauge shotgun that shoots good and would beat you up when you shoot it and the Savage 220 is the shotgun in my future...will be checking on other manufacturers on their bolt action shotguns but would like to hear your comments on this particular shotgun....thanks...Bo

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Savage 220 Shotgun
« on: September 22, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Savage 220 Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 04:51:24 PM »
after your post, I started looking at slug guns. most are pumps. Win, Mossberg, Rem... I to have a BPS w/ a smooth barrel that shoots well out to 100 yrds w/ rifled slugs. but you are right, it is a hammer to your shoulder

the other option would be an auto gas operated. they don't kick much. maybe 1/3 to 1/2 the kick and you could lob a 12 gauged slug. a 20 wouldn't kick at all

for the price of a rifled barrel, you might as well get a new gun. if I could be guaranteed I could hunt at my folks for 5-10 more years, I would really get serious. they are turning 80, so might not keep the place much longer. that leaves the cabin and a rifle is the choice.

good choice on the stainless camo. i'm a big fan of stainless
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
I am a fan of the 870 for deer. Started out with a 20" smoothbore, choked improved cylinder, with fully adjustable rifle sights. With either remington or winchester foster slugs, it would do 2-3/4" at 50 yds, all day long, if I did my part. Added a 2.5x weaver scope. Didn't improve accuracy, but allowed me to see my target better. After a few years, I wanted to improve my range, so I bought a 24" fully rifled barrel, which effectively increased my range to 75 yds. Tried solid copper slugs and accuracy was there, but I decided the increased cost was not worth it. I went back to foster slugs and lived happily ever after. Last fall, I killed a buck at 88 steps. Had to track him, but he was dead when I found him. As far as recoil, when I'm shooting at game, I barely feel it. I recently picked up a Mossberg 500, 18" smooth bore, open cylinder. Planning to put a red dot on it and see how it does with slugs.  I have read the issue about accuracy with 870's is due to detachable barrels, and the trigger group. Some guys pin their barrels, and there are better trigger groups available, that can be adjusted. However, the prices I have seen, are too high, imo.  There's my 2 cents worth, from my experience hunting in a shotgun zone only, from 1974 to 2016.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 08:38:38 PM »
For my first 8-10 years of deer hunting I used a smoothbore with a round head at the front and Winchester rifled slugs, and filled my tag every year.  Longest shot was 97 yards, (lucky) but most inside of 60.  I felt pretty good inside of 75 but beyond that it got dicey.    I have a 24" rifled Hastings barrel with open sights for my 11-87 today and it shoots great but I use my smokepole 99% of the time.

Louie is right, putting a better trigger and getting a tight barrel fit on an 870 or 1100 or 11-87 is a key to slug accuracy.  Bro in law gets incredible accuracy from his with lightfield slugs out to 150 yards.  His barrel is not pinned but that nut is tight tight tight.  He has a Remington rifled barrel with the cantilevered scope mount.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:36:29 AM »
Well Bo I don't not own a Savage 220 but I have run more than a few slugs through on. Accurate and deadly out to 150 yds. Although the guy who owns it has a 176 yd kill with it. You will not be disappointed. I use my 870 for the most part because I can shoot multiple deer and need a quick follow up if 2-3 deer come in but I usually take my H&R Slug hunter for a walk for late season doe. The only reason I never bought a Savage 220 is because I have a H&R in 20 and 12 and both are deadly accurate. I shoot Hornady SST slugs in the 20 and Lightfields in the 12.. If I ever stop taking the 870 I would for sure get a 220. I can't wait to see the range results on that Savage 220.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 01:15:10 AM »
Blue - Back in the mid 90's after getting a 12 Gauge Hastings Slug Barrel for a dedicated Browning Pump Shotgun (BPS), I took it to the range with me and purchase several different Shotgun Slug Ammo and tried it out. The first thing I notice was the recoil, wow, it would kick like an old mule!! but you are right, it was very accurate out to 150 yards, probably out to 200 yards. The scope I put on it was a Leupold VX2 3-9X x 40mm. I looked at it the other day (along with the other 5 BPS) and it is the only BPS that has a scope on it. My thought back then was about a 20 gauge and how they could make more manageable recoil shotgun.

I have been watching them (Savage 220) on Gunbroker.com and will start looking at local gun stores first of the year....I was pleasantly surprised when I shot the Savage 220 at 100 yards and shot 3 shots under 2" group!!

This time next year, will have a Savage 220.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »
I can't wait to see the targets Bo!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
Blue - Since I can reload slugs, will have to get a bunch of different ammo, grain weights and powder combination to see which one shots best in it....Yea, me too, cannot wait till next year but this year is fixed as far as rifles goes. Am headed to the range tomorrow around 3 PM and will shoot some until Billy shows up to shoot. This will be our last shooting together this year, with the GA, TN and KY seasons starting, it going to be now or never...may go one more time this year maybe during the middle of the day and take the ones I plan to take down with me on our annual two week hunt....

Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 08:04:07 PM »
I've shot a lot of different slugs (all factory loads) through quite a few different 12 gauge guns and can tell you for sure that you need to do your homework due to slight differences in bore sizes & slug sizes.  In the old Foster style rifled slugs, I could never get Remington sluggers to shoot worth a hoot through either of my two pump guns, but a friend of mine with an 870 and smoothbore deer barrel did great with them. We'd sight in together every fall, and both tried out each other's guns - helped us confirm that we were on the right track with a given load.  On the other hand I had good luck with Winchesters.  I cut one of each apart, and found the Remington to be smaller in diameter and heavier walled than the Winchester.  My theory is that he had a tighter bore and could handle the Remingtons, while the bigger diameter & thinner/softer skirt on the Winchesters sealed the bore & stabilized better.  With the onset of sabots, I really didn't gain any confidence in them until I got a rifled barrel despite really wanting them to work.  I've shot quite a few varieties through that barrel now and have found the Winchesters in 3" and the Federal copper slugs both do pretty well (open sights, similar POI and spread).  Bro in law has an incredible shooter with his 870, cantilevered/scoped Remington rifled barrel, and 2.75" Lightfield slugs.  I really should try some in mine too just to learn even though I rarely hunt with it any more. I'm sure when you open the door to other variables by reloading you'll have lots of fun finding the happy point for a given shotgun.

Bo - I think Michigan Louie has done some slug loading if I recall correctly, he may be able to give you something of a headstart based on what he's learned.
and enjoy it!

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 08:20:04 PM »
Bo - Years ago I bought a slug barrel w/Rem chokes for my Remington 1100 12ga.  It grouped fairly well at 100yds.  I wanted it for close quarters Less than 100yds.  Recoil is not too bad for a slug gun.  I have read the Savage is really accurate.  Nice choice if that's what you are going with.   
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 08:24:31 PM »
ok my two cents best slug gun you can get. a shut gun experter Dave Henderson did a review on the 220 shot deer out to 200 yards with it killed them dead he is a slug gun hunter and has written books on them well know here in new York state you will need a 3 inch shell for it hard to find that shell in nys in 20 gauge 519 for black stock and 599 for camo last time I worked at the gun store in may 2019
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 08:38:15 PM »
Keep going to Gunbroker and looking at the Savage Model 220....every other day and sure it will cost me about $600 for a stainless with camo stock model....that is a given, now what scope do I put on it....Have a Leupold Rifleman 3-9X x 50mm not mounted as well as a few quality scopes....will go ahead and get the picatinny rail and the one inch rings I think I already have....

But first things first, will get this season behind me....and then worry about which rifles to buy...maybe another 26 Nosler or a 6.5 PRC or maybe a 28 Nosler. Do like the the Christensen Arms rifle with it's carbon barrel....also Cooper along with other manufacturers are making barrels wrapped in Carbon Fiber.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »
you will want 3 to 9 shotgun scope for it. longer eye relief is what is needed
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 06:48:18 PM »
Dave - OK Thanks....Tell you what, Vortex, Nikon and Leupold are scopes that I have laying around and not mounted but if you say I will need a longer eye relief type scope I will look at those as well...thanks for the tip....Will see the owner of the Savage Model 220 and will asked him about the longer eye relief needed.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
Good eye relief, similar to something you might want on a magnum rifle is a must, as that shotgun will have pretty decent recoil.  Depending on the conditions you intend to hunt in though, I'm not sure you need all the magnification in a 3X9 - you might be better served with a wider field of view for the close shots in thick stuff.  I really like the 2X7 on my muzzleloader in the thick of things, it stays on 2X unless a long shot presents itself (rare for me).
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad