New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: mountain hunts  (Read 149 times)

Online yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
mountain hunts
« on: September 21, 2019, 02:40:20 PM »
I just want to warn you folks going out to the mountains. my neighbor just had a stroke. last year he came back and had seizures. the mountains haven't been good to him. both times happened w/I a week of coming back from CO.

the DR's say it's a coincidence. I don't believe it. he's only 50ish. now he has a long road to recovery

to add to this, a buddy last year got back from CO and his legs hurt. he went in and found he had blood clots. he was very lucky they stayed there. the doc said he went too long w/o walking around. the doc said 2 hour max before you should stop and move around. this doc is on to something. the other doc should be more like this guy

be safe. a few minutes is better than health issues
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: mountain hunts
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 03:05:09 PM »
Many folks go to the mountains unprepared (out of shape). If you don't do it all the time, conditioning, exercise workouts are critical components to and enjoyable and safe hunt. As a minimum 6 to 8 months of physical preparation should be done a major part of your hunt prep. Daily exercise, walking, jogging, or running or even riding a bicycle should be considered even if you don't have a hunt planned. You never know when a great opportunity may arise, and you will be on top of your game with minimal prep time.
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 08:18:09 PM »
And as an added bonus, you'll be amazed at how much better you feel as you get your physical conditioning back up
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 08:34:42 PM »
both of these guys work out regularly, so that wasn't the issue
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 05:39:13 AM »
Yari - I agree with you totally!! Thanks for the wake up post!! When I was going to Colorado for those 19 fond years, I would start getting in shape starting in March, a full 6 months ahead of the trip...then I would load up my back pack with bricks and start slowly and build up from there. Would walk every day and each week would add another brick or two....

But still the change in altitude it took me a few days to get accumulated to the environment, after that I was ok, but I do remember the first trip out there...There was no GPS back then just a map and a old time manual compass!! I got lost and after going over the second mountain peak, looking back and trying to find camp was impossible so I hunker down and spent the night under a big old cedar tree, with my Browning Hi-Power 9mm laying on my chest...just in case.....two day later I showed up at camp, they guys was going to call the rescue squad if I did not show up on the day I did!! When the GPS system came out the next Buckarama, I was the 3rd guy who bought one for $1000 and it was nothing like today standards.....I won that first one and a few more since then...boy oh boy...if it would have snowed, I would have been in trouble, but did have material for a lean-to and space blanket, plenty of flares, a good fire starter, some iodine pills for the water...I do remember those things....

Even started walking a few months before going on my first Safari and then came back for a right knee replacement in 2012!! but you got to get into shape before heading West and up in elevation. You got to plan you hunt at least a year before you go, when we would get back from one trip we would start planning on the next hunt!!

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 07:15:08 AM »
I remember one year where we climb those mountains with a full pack, including a portable tree stand (that weighs about 27 lbs) and a old blue Remington Sendero, yea the first ones produced in 300 Win Mag, that weighs in at 15 Lbs, and it was snowing on top of that...see pictures, this was from 2000 I think...somewhere around that date...but it was 3.5 miles in and about .75 miles up so it took us a while and I left the stand in there as well as my full back pack....I remember it just like it was yesterday, we left the cabin where we stayed at before daylight.....

I miss me the most...LOL....but you got to be in shape to pull off a hunt like this......so if you are going out there next year 2020...then start getting in shape now!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 07:22:37 PM »
      I leave in about a week for our Elk hunt in Colorado. I have been fighting Bronguitus "it is spelled wrong" for the last 2 months. I've lost some weight but not been able to try get in better shape. We camp at about 9700 feet Elevation and the altitude has allways been hard on me.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 07:42:30 PM »
  I plan on staying a little closer to my wheeler then normal. My rifle is dialed in and shooting great so I plan on sitting back a little ways so they wont here me coughing and let my rifle reach out and do my talking for me.

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 07:28:10 AM »
That's a good plan Notsams.  Bronchitis combined with altitude and dry air could be challenging for sure.  If you haven't already, talk to your doc about some type of inhaler med, something that acts quickly if you need it.  And carry a spare.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online yari

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 08:50:01 AM »
good luck notsams. that will be tough for sure. i hope you buddies are in shape in case you down one
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »
Notsams - Yes good luck on your hunt, hope you spent these past months getting into some sort of shape...like Yari states - hope your buddies on the trip are in shape for the hunt...if you down one, then your buddies should jump in a help, just like mine down at our GA club...when I had one or my knee surgery and had turn the ATV over (actually it went into the ditch and was at a 45 degree angle, texted Deer Head that I needed his help and the whole club show up!!! We have good guys in our hunt club...

Good luck on your hunt and get your rest!!!
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 07:14:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I leave Wednesday morning for the 22 hour drive. Sounds like we are leaving just in the nick of time as a winter storm is rolling in on Thursday at home.

New Page 3

Google Ad