New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 9-19-2019  (Read 187 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 9-19-2019
« on: September 20, 2019, 05:54:46 AM »
Range Results for Thursday 9-19-2019 were mostly good. The weather had cool down about 10 degrees and it was sort of over cast. When I got there the wind was 5 -10 from the east (head wind) the range faces east. In the mornings a lot of morning shooters will put up towels held up by ratchet straps that have been pulled from pole to pole on their shooting lanes. Left the house at 3 PM and met up another another guy that I use to work with and he and Billy joined in for today's shooting. We were the only ones out there. I have text them both and told them to be prepared due to the weather that we would have to wait for a spot to open up....we have only 8 positions available on the range which goes from 50 yards out to 300 yards. About 5:30 PM the wind laid down and it was almost perfect shooting conditions. We had 3 deer (a mature doe and two fawns) about 50 yards. While we were shooting they just kept eating....and then were heading down range to gather our targets there was a single larger deer, we all saw him or it, but it looked like a doe but no fawns....when we left the three that had been feeding near us, bolted to the woods when we got in out car/trucks and left....

Today took the Colt-Cooper M2012, the 6.5 CM Bergara B14 HMR, the 260 Rem in the Savage-Shilen, the 6.5 PRC in the Christensen Arms, the 280 Rem in the Cooper M52 and the 7mm-08 Rem in the Steyr M96 ProHunter....so you guys can see that the calibers was all over the place....All shots were at 100 yards and yes there was a slight mirage at 100 yards. Wonder why it was cooler and the humidity was right at 45%, BP was 29.21 and was steady. Never change a bit. The temp started out at 88.3 when I got there around 3:40 and it cooled off to 81.1 when we left right at 7:15 PM....

With Jared and Billy shooting with me, it slowed things down a bit. but Jared had a Savage M220 with a Buckmaster scope sitting on it. let me tell you that with the 20 gauge slugs, I shot a 2" groups at 100 yards (3 shots) and Jared told us that he often takes it to the woods with him even during the Center Fire season here in TN. It was fun but expensive in shooting the 3 shot groups, it ran about $3.25+ for each shot, ouch!! that is the only thing that might hold me back, but those slugs you don't reload!!

I have modified some A Size (8.5" x 11.0") targets to accept some 3" spatter dots, as you can see. I order 250 of them from Amazon and wanted to try them out this week. That is why they all look alike....

Here are the range results that you are looking for. The first rifle pulled out of the case was the Colt-Cooper M2012 using a 168 gn Nosler Ballistic Tip.....will adjust the scope this morning a couple of clicks to the right and it will be ready to go.....second one up was the 6.5 CM in the Bergara B14 using 140 gn Nosler Ballsitic Tip...shot pretty darn good, will not touch that one. Third one up for shooting was the 260 Rem in then Savage-Shilen. its is 127 Gn Barnes LRX bullets shoot pretty good as well. The 4th pic is of the Savage-Shilen with the "Chamber Empty Flag" in the chamber for safety reasons...

In the reply will post the rest of the targets.....   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 05:57:28 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results 9-19-2019
« on: September 20, 2019, 05:54:46 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results 9-19-2019
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 06:10:29 AM »
Next up was the 6.5 PRC in the Christensen Arms It shot the 143 Factory Hornady (just trying to shoot these up so I can have some brass to reload some Berber 156 VLD rounds for the 6.5 PRC.....but the groups were good considering they are factory rounds, and did not have any ejection problems. The extractor worked fine....next up was the 280 Rem in the Cooper M52 this rifle looks good and has beautiful wood on it.....(see last pix) this rifle shot very well....and the last rifle was the wife's rifle, it was the 7mm-08 Rem in the Steyr M96 ProHunter (don't think they make this rifle anymore, but you can still find them on the internet, also have a 280 Rem that looks just like this rifle, did not bring it to the range this week) The 7mm-08 Steyr loves the 120 gn Ballistic tip....it will not shoot the 139 or 140 or even the 150 or 160, but you put the 120 gn in it and it shoots through the same hole!!! (yes it was 3 shots on this target as well, two bullets went almost through the same hole, had to turn the target over to see that the third bullet went through the same hole as the second one did).

The food at the Mexican Restaurant was good as well, it was so good that I had trouble sleeping last night....man it was good food, good company and the range results were also good. Now which rifle do I take to the woods with me when I go? Decisions, Decisions!!   

Last Post....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
looks like a great day. nice work

what 20 guage shells are $3 a piece? i should really put a scope on one of my shotguns for deer around here. i really don't need a rifle
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 01:02:01 PM »
Bo That is stacking them in there.  Nice shooting!
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 04:11:05 PM »
I know the black synthetic "tacti-cool" look is all the rage now, but that walnut stock is just plain beautiful!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 06:43:32 PM »
Mad - I grew up on wooden stocks, and then around 1980 or so, the thing to have was a fiberglass stock, a black smooth one. I got my first stock a cheap one for $79.95, and it worked out good, then in the mid 80's dropped it out of a tree and it broke the fiberglass stock. So I tape it up and hunted for the rest of the season, sure I check it and made sure it was on before taking it back to the woods....then at the end of the season, started looking at a good $300 fiberglass stock, the $80 was still available but went with the $300 stock with it being reinforced with an aluminum bar down the middle....it is still on the 308 Rem Varmint today. Put one on the 7mm-08 Rem Varmint as well....

But still have some beautiful wooden stocks on the rifle and yes this one is a Cooper and has beautiful French Walnut stock on it...I agree it is one of my favorite and accurate rifles....

Thanks - Deerhead, this year it will be the 264's that I bring down with me this year....they do shoot very good....

Yari - Yea, I almost choke when Jared told me how much they cost each!! holy smokes, no wonder why I don't see more of them at the range, there is not much practicing with them.....but I love the way he has it set up...the rifle is light and the recoil is mild.....

This was my 13th trip to the range this time and last night when I got home around 8:30 PM and unloaded the guns from the truck and put them away until this morning and had one cant level that had came loose, so had to go through the whole routine of setting it up to make sure it was level, then snugged it down pretty good.....the rest of the guns had to be cleaned and will take some fouling shots before heading south for the season......

Last night both of the guys had brought their black rifles with them...both shot them at 100 yards to make sure that they were on, just in case a coyote might cross their paths during scouting out this year.....I did not bring mine - yet....LOL....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad