New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Electronic Ear Plugs?  (Read 308 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Electronic Ear Plugs?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »
sorry, I haven't bought a set yet. walker is probably what I would look at if I did it. my ears are still good, so I will probably hold off until it gets challenging
yari - don't wait until it's challenging for you, by that time it's to late, the damage has been done. Trust me on this one, after 28 years in the military, with a lot of the time spent on firing ranges,  rifle, pistol, machine gun, mortar, tank, Bradley and hand grenades and demolitions ranges it takes a toll on the ears. We never used muffs, but always the ear plugs that we though were pretty effective. (NOT) We were the originators of the saying "Can You Hear Me Now"  @--0--0123

i always where muffs. i was talking about getting the amplifiers. i take very good care of my hearing. my dad's hearing is terrible and i learned from that
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 06:05:33 PM »
True! There are no procedures to repair the damage to hearing. When it is gone it is gone. My uncle came back from WW2 and lost all his hearing from all the battles. My other uncle, his younger brother, served in Korea and lost a good portion of his hearing, not all but enough to make it difficult for him. Mine is nit that great from all the years in the FD. I just don't have $$ for hearing aides. I may have to get them a few years from now. Currently it does come in handy when the wife starts announcing “Honey Do’s” --099-780
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »
I just ordered a set of Walker Silencer rechargeable earplugs (not bluetooth) - will let you guys know what I think soon.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Online Madgomer

Re: Electronic Ear Plugs? A little review
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 09:47:13 PM »
Got my new Walker electronic earplugs over the weekend and have been giving them a workout the last couple of days.  So far so good.  I wanted to get away from earmuffs for both working and shooting and wanted to have something that allowed me to hear low level sounds without removing my ear protection.  I looked into the Peltor and Honeywell products but due to the price I went with the Silencer R600 (rechargeable, no bluetooth).  I've been using them in a variety of situations this week with good results.  Shooting clays they worked great - dampened the gunshots appropriately but still allowed me to hear what was going on between shots.  Running the tractor and chainsaw, again they reduced the noise level just like you'd get with a good set of foam plugs but I could still have conversations without removing them.  When I'm working alone I can just use them like normal plugs and shut them off to save the batteries for when I need them (battery life is supposed to be 14 hours I believe).  They're comfortable.  My hearing is still decent, so I keep the volume setting at the lowest level and still can pick up relatively quiet sounds, perhaps even better than without the plugs in.  Some people complained in their reviews about static or a hiss - - I hear that as I turn up the volume, and also get a fair amount of wind noise at higher settings.  Again for me the lower volume levels meet my needs without any of the hiss.  The multiple sets of plugs & fins were appreciated, I ended up using the small plugs & medium fins but could use the medium plugs as well if needed.  The placement of the devices in the charging case is a bit finicky, you need to make sure they're set in there correctly to get them to charge.  Happy with the purchase, can't imagine that the higher priced alternatives would meet my needs any better than these.  The bluetooth version adds another $50 or so - I just didn't feel I would use it so stayed with the R600.  I have a set of bluetooth noise cancelling headphones that I do like to use when I'm traveling by plane but that's about the only time I end up hooking up to my phone for music.  I intend to wear the R600s when I'm out gun hunting but don't have any interest in listening to music, news, or taking calls while I'm in the woods so no need to spend the money on bluetooth in this case.  Overall, would recommend them if you have a similar need.

If I'm shooting something big (like my buddy's .50 BMG) I'll still probably wear muffs over plugs but the 26 dB reduction these are rated at is sufficient for the stuff I've done thus far.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:49:25 PM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2019, 10:47:27 AM »
i can't believe they haven't fixed the 'hiss' yet. my 15 year old set does the same thing. i can't use them in wind. way to noisy
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
Thanks for the review Mad I am going to check these out I have been looking for something to use while turkey hunting cause them 3 in nitros are loud!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »
I have an older pair. I stopped using them because there was too much noise where we hunted.  We were next to a 2 lane Hwy.  All I could hear were the wind, cars, trucks, loggers cutting trees and yes even helicopters. So I quit using them.     Hope those work for you!
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Online Madgomer

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 09:10:21 PM »
Went on my first sporting clays outing today and wore them - really worked well.  100 shots for me (not gonna say how I scored, it was not a pretty thing) and another 500 shots for the others with me over the span of a couple hours, was able to hear conversations as well as hear the launcher clearly but the blasts were all muffled very nicely.  If they hold up this would appear to be a good investment.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 09:37:39 PM »
any regrets not getting the muffs instead? it might help w/ the wind noise?
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Online Madgomer

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 03:36:18 PM »
Nah, I really wanted to get away from the bulk of the muffs, and still have them if I want to double up
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad