New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Electronic Ear Plugs?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Electronic Ear Plugs?
« on: September 16, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »
I typically wear a set of plain old muffs when running the tractor/chain saw or muffs and/or foam plugs when target shooting.  Thinking about buying a set of noise cancelling ear plugs for both shooting and working around noisy stuff.  Would like a set that is rechargeable and offers some level of amplification.

Any of you guys/gals use these, and if so do you have any recommendations for or against certain models?  Walker's Silencer is probably the most cost effective one I've seen, but Otto and Peltor have higher performance ratings (with twice the price tag).  Looking for some real life honest feedback from anyone who has used any of them.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Electronic Ear Plugs?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:25:31 PM »
sorry, I haven't bought a set yet. walker is probably what I would look at if I did it. my ears are still good, so I will probably hold off until it gets challenging
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:32:32 PM »
Mad - what I do is to wear two sets of ear plugs. The first set is the plain foam rubber that has a ear protection of at least 24 dB, i found some that have 27 dB. The second set is the muff style and put those over the foam and honestly I don't hear a thing, I often forget I have them on when I head down range and have to come back and pull the off and out just to hear what others are talking about.....

I do own a couple of pair of noise cancellation but they worked then they did not, changing batteries, I found that this did not make sense with me, since I do leave them in a tote during the shooting season (that is anytime around March 1st. But I think that the weather has a lot to do with them lasting and not the performance. I have heard many good things and read good reviews of them over the last few years....Which ones are you thinking about? What brand? I think my electronic ear muffs are the 3M and the Peltor and the Caldwell all use AA batteries.....Wonder has anybody tried the Walker Game Ears? 

I like the way I have my hearing protection set up now, while arrive at the range, will put the foam ear plugs in before arriving and will leave them in!! while the shooting is going on, I will sit in the truck until the range calls a "clean" then will pull the muff style ear protection and put them on over the foam ear plugs before the shooting starts again....

My wife accuses me of selective hearing...LOL...I can use the range as an excuse...LOL.... 
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:03:43 AM »
Was looking at the Walker Silencer and Peltor TEP-100 models.  Both are rechargeable.
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 08:13:11 AM »
I have a set of Walker's that work very well, they are 15-20 years old and still work great. I mainly use them for my son of daughter while we are hunting. They are protected from the shot but can hear me whispering instructions I just wish they were water proof. At the range I wear ear plugs and muffs.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 01:33:53 PM »
I don't use earplugs anymore, since I now have to wear hearing aids. At the range, I use Howard Sleight impact sports electronic muffs. They amplify normal sounds, si you can easily hear someone speaking 20 ft away., yet attenuate the sound of a shot. Uses aaa batteries, and automatically shut off after 4 hrs. I wore one set last spring while turkey hunting and they worked great. I got both my sets on Amazon.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 05:23:46 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the input.  I'll have to look into the Howard Sleight products Louie, haven't heard of those before.
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 05:57:27 PM »
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:34:27 AM »
Flint - Thanks - I will try them as well.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 12:10:23 PM »
Roger, I misspelled the name Howard Leighs, by Honeywell electronics. They are available on Amazon in various colors. Prices depend on the color, and prices do jump around. I didn't pay as much as much as what they are asking right now.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 10:29:51 PM »
No problem Louie, I found them pretty quickly when I did a search the other day, even with the misspelling (Google is used to me doing that I think.)  Didn't look like they offer any plugs at the moment, just muffs.  Thinking at the moment that I'd like to try plugs.
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 06:03:36 AM »
Was at the range this week (Thursday 9-19-19) and was using one set foam and over them wore the muff style....since this original post, have been looking at a better pair of electronic ear muffs than what I have now, and the batteries don't last very long and the muff have broken down and they don't work any more....but the do muff the sound....
Along with the foam muff and the old broken down muffs they system works for me....

Thanks for all the references.....I will be buying some new Electronic Ear Muffs next year.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 08:34:55 AM »
Enjoy them.

I like the way the muffs surround your ears, further protection from loud echos etc.

I had those fancier behind the ear enhancement deals. More likely to fall off your ear when adjusting hat, sunglasses or bringing up your strapped bino. Not so  good when they fall off while up in your tree stand.

Muffs can be set over your hat, mask and if you put on the bino after the muffs are on I had no issues.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 10:09:35 PM »
Guys - This is what I use for my hearing protection....as I said I use 2 sets of hearing protection - the first is ear plugs....and the second is the ear muffs.....as the picture shows I need to start looking for some more of the ear muffs style....electronic or manual.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 06:33:58 AM »
sorry, I haven't bought a set yet. walker is probably what I would look at if I did it. my ears are still good, so I will probably hold off until it gets challenging
yari - don't wait until it's challenging for you, by that time it's to late, the damage has been done. Trust me on this one, after 28 years in the military, with a lot of the time spent on firing ranges,  rifle, pistol, machine gun, mortar, tank, Bradley and hand grenades and demolitions ranges it takes a toll on the ears. We never used muffs, but always the ear plugs that we though were pretty effective. (NOT) We were the originators of the saying "Can You Hear Me Now"  @--0--0123
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

New Page 3

Google Ad