New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: More Info needed on Gravitational Waves  (Read 242 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
More Info needed on Gravitational Waves
« on: September 16, 2019, 06:33:20 AM »
What are they and do we really need to consider them? Probably not, but how often do they happen?

Besides the Weather station I set up that measures the Wind Speed and Direction, the Barometric Pressure, the Humidity, the Temperature in tenths of the degree, and beyond the 200 yard range the Coriolis Force of Rotation Calculations, based on the spin rate of the bullet......these are among the factors that I considered each time I go to the range. And will take the LabRadar with me and the Magneto Speed Chronometers to the range a couple of times per year to get the exact velocity once I worked out the load that will be used in each rifle....

But do I need to consider the Gravitational Waves? and go through the hassle of setting up the equipment needed for this measurement? Wow, I will keep looking for a cheap way to measure this phenomenon....

This is a sight I use for reference...very good if you have patience:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml

And the Coriolis Force of Rotating Frame:

F'cor = -2mω × v'

Where,
F'cor = Coriolis Force
m = Particle Mass
ω = Angular Velocity
v' = Velocity

Just wondering if we need to do this?

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

More Info needed on Gravitational Waves
« on: September 16, 2019, 06:33:20 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: More Info needed on Gravitational Waves
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:36:44 AM »
Found an interesting article from Smithsonian on this topic Bo.  Here's a quote from it:

"Since major cosmic collisions typically happen very far from us (thankfully), by the time the gravitational waves spawned reach Earth, the amount of stretching and squeezing they cause is tiny—less than an atomic diameter. Detecting such changes is on par with measuring the distance from Earth to the nearest star beyond the solar system with an accuracy better than the thickness of a sheet of paper."

Here's a link to the full article:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/detection-gravitational-waves-breakthrough-whats-next-180958511/

The good news is that I don't think it's influence on your bullet travel will be any more significant than that of a butterfly fluttering it's wings in South America, and given the precision required to measure it you might want to save your time and money for shopping for that next rifle, scope, or binoculars.  😁
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:54:19 PM »
Mad - Thanks for the link, will copy it and read it tomorrow....

I have been reading about these waves and realize that while hunting will not check the app that I have on my phone for the gravitational waves, just don't have time, but that explains some of my groups!...LOL....if you shot a bad group just blame it on those darn gravitational waves...LOL...
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:26:29 AM »
Mad - Thanks for the link, will copy it and read it tomorrow....

I have been reading about these waves and realize that while hunting will not check the app that I have on my phone for the gravitational waves, just don't have time, but that explains some of my groups!...LOL....if you shot a bad group just blame it on those darn gravitational waves...LOL...
You've been listening too much to those snowflakes on CNN Bo!
Suck it up buttercup and just admit that you flinched!!

--099-780 ##$%#114 --099-780 ##$%#114 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 06:52:00 AM »
Mad - Even though CNN is not the same news station as Ted Turner started out as, today at this household, CNN is never on the TV, I instantly skip over it and go straight to Fox News and Fox Business channels...and of course the local news channels just to check on what happening in our world down here....

This is so funny.....Yes I flinch or used to before I got the 338 Win Mag out of the case at the range, I would start flinching knowing this monster would hut my right shoulder for a few days after shooting it.....This lead me to make my own lead sledge, I called it the "BoSledge" many years ago about 10 to 12 before Caldwell developed there's you can see it in the range photos and how it has deteriorated over the years.....I sort of miss it didn't I as far as developing it myself....LOL....

Yea I think I have been drinking more tea than I need to....Gravitational Waves are so rare as I have learned that they don't worry about them - not yet anyway.....suck it up buttercup...so funny...thanks for the post....LOL....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
I can only imagine the pounding your .338 dishes out. My Ruger #1 in 7 mm mag is a pretty light gun and I definitely developed a flinch after shooting it for a bit at the bench.  Really took some effort to put that behind me (mostly).

Shot a friend's .50 BMG awhile back and was pleasantly surprised with the recoil - that's about the only benefit I can see in a 30 pound rifle!
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:08:07 AM »
Mad - I was nervous when I got mine 50 Caliber (Barrett 99E - Single Shot Bolt Action) and the 338 Lapua Mag in the Rem 700 MDT, both rifles were expensive to buy and to own. The recoil of both are surprisingly light compared...have been thinking about taking the 339 Lapua on deer hunts in my blind...LOL...it is almost as tall as I am...LOL....would need to mount the sucker on the Caldwell Field Pod! LOL...and then to have a doe stand there for about three minutes while I get her lined up and in my sites...LOL.....

But the recoil is manageable for both big calibers, I do own a CZ 550 in 375 H&H Mag that does kick pretty good almost as much as the 338 Win Mag does. Was/Am going to take both of those (the 375 H&H Mag & the 338 Win Mag) on my Buffalo Safari and the other big 5 that South Africa offers....the 50 Caliber and the 338 Lapua just range rifles...and they have ban the 50 caliber from our range, but at times when I am there all by my little old self, I will pull this monster out and let her fly for 3 shots or so....at $5 a shot, it get expensive quickly....LOL...   
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad