New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Everybody is Focusing on Long Range Ballistics  (Read 463 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Everybody is Focusing on Long Range Ballistics
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
The GA Archery season opened up this past Saturday and during work weekend, long range rifles and ballistics were the most questions ask. I know that long range shooting is a challenge to most of us, even me, but the truth for us Southerns that long range shooting is only in a few spots in a few places. There are spot that one can shoot out to 300 yards, just ask Split Toe about his long shot on a deer back at our old lease property...it was quiet a polk for sure...thinking 275 yards or 325 yards something like that. But my last few shots at a deer have been under 75 yards, it probably where I hunt, and that is a big part of it...some Southern GA hunt clubs that I was a member of for a few years, the 300 yard shot was the normal rather than the exception.....So I have been in that arena as well...were a 270 Win or a 7mm Rem Mag was the caliber of choice....and the scopes were just as powerful as the rifle was it had to be that, were as the 7X or 8X was the normal Binocular power, way down South, a good pair of 10X or 12X was recommended!! 

The reason why I am writing this is that in one or my printed magazines right there on the front cover was the A-Tip, and it was from Hornady, not Nosler and the Accubond, but A for Aluminum tip....I am in the mode now that all my rifles that I take with me this year (probably the 264 calibers and the 308 calibers) will be sighted in at 100 yards) but these Aluminum Tips do have me worried, there are strictly made for target shooting and not hunting? In the early 1970's when I bought my first 270 Win, it was a Winchester Model 70A (the cheap one) for a whopping $125) and the best ammo was from Federal, it was a Bronze Point 130 gn Ammo. These Aluminum Tip ammo sure brings back memories, but unlike the 130 Gns Bronze Points, which were made for hunting, these A-Tips are not...but the groups were extremely tight and all were hand loaded that they (Hornady) texted....I guess I was caught up in the long range craze with I purchase the Bronze Points back in the very early 70's.

When I venture out hunting this year, on our property, with the planted pines growing fast, anywhere on our property except for one area (the back side) you will not be able to shoot more than 100 yards, I guess this is why that I am locking my groups on at 100 yards this year. Billy on the other hand hunts deer in KY on those reclaimed mountain tops that you can shoot miles and I mean miles if you can reach the top of the mountain....he can he is still a young 50 this year....he sights his guns in at 200 and 300 yards at the range, and chooses calibers a 270 WSM, a 300 Win Mag and a 7mm WSM for those distances. He show me a few years ago some pictures of the area where he hunts at and he nail a nice 10 pointer a good ways away, matter of fact I could not see where he could see the deer from a good 300 yards down a very long hill....he showed me the deer and showed me where he shot him at and the distance - Wow, what a shot....I might throw in a 270 Win or WSM or a 280 Rem or a 280 AI in the mix just in case I want to hunt the back 40...LOL...

So we have the classic short range and the long range thoughts here...I tell the new members that you younger guys need to focus on the short range 100 yards and in for our property....so it does matter where you hunt at and you must choose the right rifle for the right distance...

BTW- These Aluminum will cost about twice as much as the ELD-X bullets that Hornady also puts out....wonder why they did not chose Titanium? Why did they go with the softer Aluminum tip? And I am sure that they will be gobble up by bench rest guys as soon as they hit the market.....

How far can or do you shoot where you hunt? I'm sure the answers will be as varied as the folks here on TH....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Everybody is Focusing on Long Range Ballistics
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
Re: Everybody is Focusing on Long Range Ballistics
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
My longest shot on a deer was 140 yards (just last year) and I have shot several inside of ten yards.  Most are in the 20-40 yard realm with shotgun or smokepole.   Most of that is a result of the thick stuff I like to hunt but also because Illinois doesn't allow centerfire rifle for deer so very few individuals go out with the mindset of a 200+ yard shot even though the scenario could exist when hunting field edges.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 06:13:45 AM »
Thanks Mad for the comments, yea should have addressed Dutch's long shooting, that is crazy long, on his new SD farm, he wants to build a 1500 yard range..Wow...but this post was directed at us flatlanders, short shooters!

After re-reading the article for the third time, and I do this quiet often for interesting articles, I have learn that it not what they say, it what they are not telling you that makes me wonder why the article was there anyway. But I was wondering why with Hornady ELD-X tip why now and why Aluminum, instead of Tungsten or Titanium? I guess I will have to stick with my Nosler Accubonds, and Barnes TTSX and Berger VLD bullets and I still have boxes of brand new bullets that I still have not open that are relics in today's market but they still will do the job on deer...

But for now, will keep the old eyeball on Hornady, they do a lot of thinking outside the box, which I like....will keep my eye on their hunting products as well. Knowing that many years ago they and all manufacturers set up a division for target shooting, long range and then they have their hunting products division which every brings in most money they focus on...I cannot blame them at all, but lets not forget about the hunters out here in Talk Hunting land......     
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:18:57 AM »
I was either reading or watching a video about that new A-tip round from Hornady some months ago, and they clearly stressed it is intended only for the range and not a hunting application.  I can only assume they wanted a higher melting point than a polymer tip provides while still trying to minimize weight.  Titanium would be super strong and carry fantastic temperature capabilities but is expensive, harder to manufacture in final form, heavier than aluminum, and probably overkill for the application.  For those bench guys looking for a way to tighten groups by hundredths of an inch it might have some benefits but that edge vs the downside on terminal performance will make it a poor choice for the hunt.  Tungsten is very heavy and would be counter productive out on the tip of the bullet from a stability perspective I believe.  Mr Dutch can chime in and confirm or refute that statement.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 08:22:18 AM by Madgomer »
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:39:24 AM »
i've shot deer +300 yards in clear cuts 25-30 years ago w/ my .270. now my WI shots are inside 100 yards

SD is a different story. one of our guys killed his last 2 bucks from +500
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 11:50:16 PM »
Right - LIke most of you, your shots vary. When I was going to Colorado for all of those 19 years, I would take a minimum of a 7mm Rem Mag.....and the larger rounds was the 338 Win Mag....with the 7mm STW and then 300 Win Mag, and the 300 Wea Mag. I have a 270 Wea Mag (Ruger #1) but it is not accurate enough for those longer distance  that I use to shoot....

Before going to Colorado, use to stop by at the range and fire one shot from each of the rifles, I would set 3 targets up at 200 or 300 yards and fire one shot at each target, no warm up shots, just a cold barrel shot!! I would not do a typcial set up, just a back pack on the bench and then shoot one shot only at the target just to see if I would hit the animal just right, only once did I have to go from three rifle down to two, because I was packed and that was the way to go to Colorado - right past the range.....

But today I guess that is why I have a lot of rifles, is because I am flexible, LOL, want to make sure that I am covered....LOL.....

Mad - I have read the article in the latest edition of Guns and Ammo about the Aluminum tip and agree with you that the article stresses to use these bullets at the range and not for hunting, but how many times has somebody taken a bullet that was made for the range and took it hunting with them....I would be scared to ask.....I have not seen the video on it yet but will be looking for it....

Yari - that is quiet a poke, 300 yards + wow, but down in the South that clear cut would have been already had its second cutting and growing a third set of tree, especially soft pine woods....and out west is another story, you can shoot for miles out there....Yea but that poses and different type of hunting for sure. They will have time to watch deer and to size them up out there, but Split Toe and I wished that we could have seen the deer for a few seconds longer before shooting Bambi we need to have them to age a bit more, but down here you just have the time to set up and to watch and size up the Mule Deer, Elk or the Pronghorn like they can in the Midwest and the Western states....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »
Here in Md I have to use a slug gun for deer. Most places are pretty thick unless you are on a logging road or field edge so most of your shots will max out at 50-70 yds. My long shot in Md is 110 yds with the slugger and 125 with the muzzle loader but 99% of my shots are 20-75 yds. In Pa my longest shot is 210 yds on a field. Shots where I hunt in Pa max out at around 100 yds with most being made in the 50 -75 yd range. This wy I say the .300 Savage in the perfect deer round. In my 99 it is fast shooting on the drives and it will reach out when needed.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 06:44:48 AM »
Blue - Thanks for your post....I am considering a 300 Black Out or a 6.5 Grendel in the CZ527....not sure which caliber, but for the distance I shoot, well under 200 yards either one would do....this is why I'm focusing on the shorter range this year and that is why I have a few 308 Win.....

Tomorrow am headed to the range where I will take the 338 Family (both 338 Federal and the 338 Win Mag and even maybe the 338 Lapua...LOL...

But for the most part and most hunters, the shots are under 100 yards....but like you say, just depends on your state and the laws....

Thanks for everyone's comments.....Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:00:21 AM »
Today is Range Day for me, will leave the house and head for the range around 3 PM, and meet up with 2 guys from work. These guys are still working for a living, I am on a fixed income and retired!! But will still focus on the short range and will leave home the long range calibers. It is suppose to be cooler today high of 85 F today so not sure how it will effect the crowd.

Will bring anything short range based on the 308 casing, such as a 7mm-08, 308, 260 Rem and 338 Federal, not sure of exactly what I will take right now but have 8 empty cases that I have, will fill 6 of them up and head for the range.....but it getting closer and closer to the season and in one of those cases today will be the smoke pole.....

But will leave home the 270's, 280's and the 30-06's but will considered the 6.5 CM as one I will take with me...but who knows what will be going to the range.... --099-780
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 10:58:14 AM »
99% of my hunting is in Georgia. I tend to keep things really simple. I take two guns with me to camp both Browning A-bolt's in the 270 WSM and a .280. Both are sighted in for 200 yards. Shooting is about knowing the abilities of the weapon as well as your own abilities. My 280 is without a dough the most constant shooting rifle I've ever owned or shot for that matter. It's always my go to firearm for whitetails as I have total confidence from 20 to 300 yards. Went to the range the other day and shot it four time. A fouling shot freehand at 100 yards 2 1/2" high and 2" to the right. The next 3 shot were off the bench 1 1/2" high above the bullseye that you could cover with a dime. I've used the same type ammo for years and knowing that it has a 6.3" drop at 300 yards it covers any need I may have where we hunt.  Any miss I have will be operator error and not the rifle...
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 07:29:49 PM »
Sounds like you're ready to go Split.  Just curious - what's your take on the recoil of the .280 vs. the .270 WSM given that both are A-bolts (I assume they have similar stock dimensions?)
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
Sounds like you're ready to go Split.  Just curious - what's your take on the recoil of the .280 vs. the .270 WSM given that both are A-bolts (I assume they have similar stock dimensions?)
Mad good question...I shoot left handed so in 1995 Browning made a Stainless steel stalker in the 280 only (left hand) it has a synthetic stock and I have a Leupold Vari X111 2.5 X 8 X 36 scope on it. The 270 WSM is a Micro Hunter with a Walnut stock on it with a Nikon Monarch 2.5 X 10 X 42 both rifles have 22 inch barrels. The 280 has a very light recoil while the 270WSM is a thumper. I shoot 140 grain pills in both rifles. Both rifles are very accurate but the 280 is hands down my favorite. I've been a 7mm bullet fan for many years. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 03:33:02 PM by Split toe »
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad