New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: Dove Hunt  (Read 62 times)

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
Dove Hunt
« on: September 10, 2019, 05:50:35 PM »
Gonna get out in the morning and go over to a local state park for a dove hunt.  Haven't done it in quite a few years and never on state ground.  Hoping the crowds won't be too bad.  Took a lot of running around today to confirm hours, locations, parking, etc, and then had to find some steel shot but I think I'm finally ready to roll!
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Dove Hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
what will you be using, your Benelli?  ##$%#15 seriously, you really need one. they are great

12, 20, 410?

'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:59:34 PM »
I did buy a Franchi O/U a couple of years ago (nice used condition) so I thought I'd start with it.  Also planning to take along Grandpa's old model 12, if I can't hit them with the double I'll pull that out.  Both are 12s.
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »
I did buy a Franchi O/U a couple of years ago (nice used condition) so I thought I'd start with it.  Also planning to take along Grandpa's old model 12, if I can't hit them with the double I'll pull that out.  Both are 12s.

for your sake, i hope you don't get a lot of shooting. those are a couple of ram rods there. my old shoulder wouldn't like either of them

i had a client take an 870 to Mexico for doves(young guy) he was peeling skin from his shoulder after the 1st day(blistered). i know ILL isn't Mexico, but just saying there isn't any give

have fun. doves can move. it will sharpen your motor skills
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
I shoot pretty light loads and it's definitely not Mexico, so I'm pretty safe.  Saw a couple dozen doves but everything was flying high, not showing any signs of wanting to drop into the sunflowers.  Took one shot, more or less a hail Mary at the closest bird I had but even that was probably out at fifty yards.  Needless to say I don't have to clean birds.  It does have some promise after the sunflowers dry down more and start dropping seeds, if the skybusters out there haven't spooked them all away by then.  One big thing they're lacking is a good water hole though.  Birds have to fly a half mile or so for a couple of small ponds.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad