New Page 2

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Author Topic: archery shop  (Read 74 times)

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
archery shop
« on: September 05, 2019, 09:44:18 PM »
I stopped by the local shop today. I normally only stop in once a year. I needed some bumpers for my Mathews and to retie my peep. $20 and I was done.

the owner is a good guy and was giving me a tough time for my LX which is maybe 15 years old. I told him when I draw a AZ elk tag we can talk. we looked at the new models. WOW are they short and fast. space age looking bows and expensive. by the time I would walk out, it would be $1500. YIKES

anyway, he's heading to AK on a moose hunt w/ 4 guys next week. i'm jealous. 1 1/2 hours of BS'ing about AK and I was out w/o a new bow. they do look pretty nice.

anyone else bite the bullet and get a new bow?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
Re: archery shop
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 07:37:57 AM »
The last new bow I bought was 8 years ago (Hoyt Alpha Max) and it was $1300+ out the door. I did get a free "Team Hoyt" camo hat with it.  --099-780 I'm still hunting and shooting with it and see no reason for purchasing a new one at this point in my life.  %^$^
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
53 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 09:59:13 AM »
They are nice for sure. I'm still shooting my 20 year old Clearwater, and unless my shoulder gets a lot better I probably won't upgrade as I spend more time now hunting with the crossbow.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »
They are nice for sure. I'm still shooting my 20 year old Clearwater, and unless my shoulder gets a lot better I probably won't upgrade as I spend more time now hunting with the crossbow.

i have a buddy that was having shoulder issues pulling his 10 year old matthews bow back. he tried a new matthews and couldn't believe how easy it pulled. he could get more speed and easier pull at 55# vs 70# on his old bow. that said, he could still pull the new matthews at 70# w/ ease and no pain. might be worth a trip if you want to get away from the xbow

what is a clearwater bow?
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 12 Point Double Droptine
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 07:22:43 PM »
Clearwater Archery was a small bow producer back 20 years or so ago, I haven't looked lately to see if they even exist any more. (Just did - apparently Clearwater merged with Storm Archery, but then the Clearwater brand was phased out)  The guy who owned my favorite pro shop at the time introduced me to them and I was pretty impressed.  Actually met the owner of Clearwater at a local event, great guy.  This was about the time Matthews came out with the SoloCam, and Clearwater apparently had some sort of license agreement with Matthews to use the technology on their bows.  I was impressed at how smooth and consistent it was vs my High Country Sniper that I had before.  That High Country was a never ending hassle for me - I was constantly fighting with timing issues and the other pro shop I bought it from was unable to address it successfully.  Finally gave up thinking I could tune it well enough for broadheads & field points to hit the same mark, so I used two sights, one specifically for my field points and the other for broadheads.  As I've mentioned before, my hunting ranges are crazy short, so it wasn't a big issue in terms of field accuracy - I don't think I ever shot a deer with that High Country beyond 15 yards, several were inside of 5 from the base of the tree.

My bro in law bought a used Matthews last year, it was about three years old and was one of their top models - Agree with what you're saying about how those newer bows pull, his was very nice.  My Clearwater has a pretty tight pull initially, but then has 75%-ish letoff.  I could definitely see the value in a slower ramp even at the expense of lower letoff.  Might have to think about that.  If the shoulder is stable I can get away with it, but if it's going to continue to degrade I should probably just stick to the Xbow.

One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:25:59 PM »
My Hoyt is sitting in my barn. I have not shot it for years since I got the crossbows. If the release is still strapped to the bow as I used ti do so I did not misplace it, I will let you know the model. It was a nice upgrade from my PSE and Golden Eagle before that! I was not one to upgrade compound bows often as you can tell --099-780
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital