New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results for 9-5-2019  (Read 149 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results for 9-5-2019
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
Thought I would sneak out to the range this morning for a little bit....man the whole world was there!!! And everybody had stopped at Walmart and picked up a AR15 Style rifles, see pix 1 (#4841) I had just started setting up when I look down at the range and everybody and I mean everybody had a AR15 out shooting it...Wow....knew they were popular....

Had to wait about an hour for a spot in front of the last bench. Took me a nap while I waited!! I finally got my spot and there was a guy who had been antelope hunting for 35 years in a row!!! He said that he and his wife took there annual trip out west to Wyoming to hunt speed goats. He had his (and Split Toe will like this) 257 Wea Mag was his favorite rifle and took a 270 Win as a back up....I asked him if he has every been on Safari, he said no, so I told him to go while he can still climb the rocks....he said that he and his wife had talked about it....he walked down range to gather his targets while I put my out...I asked him when he next trip is and he told me in a few weeks. He left shortly after that.....good luck with his hunt....

There were guys there with LabRadar and MagnetoSpeed type chronographs and they had their towels up to protect from sun....when I started shooting I could barely see the target at 100 yards. The guy that had been on 35 speed goat hunts told me when he got there, he could not even see the 200 yard target....

I got there at 9:15 AM and did start shooting until 10:45 and shot until around 1:35 PM....not bad for the 4 308's and the muzzle loader I took with me.....it was 83 when I started shooting and 89 when I put everything up....boy it was hot, but around about 11:45 AM the wind picked up and shiften. It sure seemed like it got cooler just a bit....
All targets were at 100 yards the mirage was on for sure at 200 yards...but the humidity was 58% at the start and dropped to 53% at the end. the BP was steady at 30.15 Hg....with was steady 0 - 5 mph and then shifted from the east and went up to 5 - 10 mph....I was sweating for sure with frequent water breaks and about 5 to 7 minutes between shots.....

What I took this week was the 308's only 4 of the 21 that I have, all 20" barrels, and all shot the 155 gn Berger VLD, with the Vhit 140 powder...took the Savage LE-1, the Remington 700 LTR, and the Kimber 8400 twins....both are exactly alike, and both shoot pretty darn good.....all shooting was at 100 yards. did I say it was hot! yes it was....

First up was the Savage LE-1 (it stands for Law Enforcement 1) it is the cheapest of the 308's that I have...it is hard to see that 1" smiley face on each of the 8.5 x 11.0 sheet of paper...and even with a 1.5-6X Nikon Monarch Gold scope it was hard to see the target bulls eye, the crosshairs of the scope covered up the bulls eye...LOL....so most of the shooting on the targets were guess work.....

The second rifle to shoot was the Remington 700 LTR with a VX-R (3-9X) with 30mm tube and great glass....Thought that this would be the best group of the day until that 3rd shot.....think a AR went off about the same time I pulled the trigger....but again it is hard to see those 1" dots at 100 yards....

Next up was the Kimber No.1 (of 2 of the twins) most everything was high and it is about where it should be.....it has a Leupold VX6 2-12X set at 8X (half power)

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results for 9-5-2019
« on: September 05, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results for 9-5-2019
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 07:43:04 PM »
Next up was the other Kimber 8400 twin...exactly like the first one, with the same scope....and this rifle shot way to the left...will take it again to the range and retry it....that first shot was dead on!! but then the second and third shots was way off the mark....don't know what happen here on it....

And the last one to shoot was the good old CVA Accura 2 50 caliber with a Bushnell DOA - 3-9X scope not a bad scope for the money....will adjust to this before taking it out to the range next week with Billy....shot three times and with the same bad results....beginning to worry about this rifle.....

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 09:32:15 PM »
that is crazy. that kind of a wait during the week and during the day? you retired guys @--0--0105

you are a patient man. good for you. I can't do that. glad you were able to finally shoot
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 07:34:26 AM »
I know it was crazy, took a nap (with ear plugs in) before moving the truck to the range....I was parked about 75 yards from the firing line...but yes it was crazy, did not think anyone would be out there....but they have a morning shift and then a after work shift....and yes it is nice (sort of) being retired. You will be soon....

Retirement - It is all what its cracked up to be. You have a constant honey-do list you are working on, you are always on the move with the better half and there is no time to do what I want to do!!! like going to the range, like reloading, like cleaning your rifles, shotgun and pistols and post on Talk Hunting...you know how it goes...busy, busy and more busy....I don't have time to look for another job!!! --099-780

But seriously, I was not planning on retirement until I was 72 or 75, in my mind. I was like the Energizer Bunny, I wanted to keep going and going....But then some thing in me changed and saw the hand writing on the wall sort of speak. Our company was getting rid of all the folks over 65....hum, what up with that and bringing in cheaper and less experience new employees to fill their shoes, which that cannot of course....but I started calculating some and decided to get out while I was still healthy....both knees have been replaced and had a heart scare.....today, I am slower of course and much more financial and physically healthy....I think...try not to spend a dime if I can help it....You got to plan on your retirement pay everything off and start reverting back to cash or debit card...no credit cards at all....I have one Credit Card, one Gas Card and one Debit Card and it took them (everybody is my circle of friends) a long time to convince me that I needed each of them.....Paid off the house long time ago (twice) when the market was doing good, pulled about 100K out of the house here in TN and invested it. Rates was low back then, but not like they are today. Was working a lot of OT back then...so I made money on the home loan and the market....all that went back into the "retirement pot" as I call it....that was way back more than 30 years ago....but you got to start planning when you are young, which is very hard...I know, believe it or not all of us were young at one time.....

After reviewing the targets, will make some minor adjustments but will make some more A size or 8.5" x 11.0" target with 2" bulls eye and larger squares....but will clean the rifles today and look at them one rifle at a time.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad