New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Carbon Fiber Barrels  (Read 418 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Carbon Fiber Barrels
« on: September 04, 2019, 02:19:47 PM »
Like it or not, looks like those Carbon Fiber Barrels (CFB) will the next wave of Hunting Rifle innovation. I own and so does Yari, a Christensen Arms with a CFB the Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC another new round introduced developed last year. I don't remember what Yari said his caliber was? Help me out here Yari. Does anybody else here on Talk Hunting  have a rifle with a CFB??

I am impressed with the CFB rifles and now through a hunting show I saw on TV, that Cooper is making a CFB Rifle...boy it has to be something special for Cooper to deviate from Wilson Barrels for the standard rifles....Once I saw it the other day, went to their website and it is an option for their long range rifles....they start at $2800 and go up from there...OMG....to much for this retired guy...however, could find a snuff can buried in the back yard with some cash in it....Wow, a very nice rifle for sure....with its muzzle brake built into the CFB....you know it is a shooter....because Copper would not accept anything less.....

Would like to hear from yawl on the Carbon Fiber Barrels and their future....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:23:51 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Carbon Fiber Barrels
« on: September 04, 2019, 02:19:47 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
Re: Carbon Fiber Barrels
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 05:26:54 PM »
not me Bo. I've been partial to my stainless barrels. I don't think I would be confident w/ carbon
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »
Cost will be the big barrier for many years to come.  Unless someone is really fanatical about weight I don't think many will be sold vs traditional barrels..
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:31:45 AM »
Mad - I agree with you but with many jumping into the mix, it will drive cost down....hopefully it will be a option that is affordable to all of us.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 04:33:33 PM »
BO   I own a Christiansen Arms Carbon Classic in 7mm Rem Mag. Very nice rifle and very well put together. Timney trigger, m16 type extractor, Nytride coated action, Carbon fiber stock and Carbon fiber barrel. With hunting bullets "Nosler Accubond 160 gr" it shoots very well out to 800 yards. With a scope, sling and ammo it weighs in at about 8.5 lbs. It is very good at laying out big game quickly.

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »
Bo    I don't remember the brand of the barrel. On a video on the internet a few years ago I saw a guy beat a cement brick into pieces with a carbon fiber barrel. He then wiped it off with a damp rag and it looked like new.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 12:20:00 AM »
As the benefits start to show up, more and more standard barrel manufacturers are buying their barrels from a different fiber carbon barrel makers....On that show that was on TV when this guy stop by Cooper of Montana and the Sales Manager brought out a Carbon Fiber Cooper M52 for his Sheep hunt. Wonder who they bought it from and who made it.

I'm sure that it is very expensive to make your own CFB...

Not - Sounds like you got one custom made for you? with all the options, I just got my 6.5 off the rack and the extractor has done very well the last two times I have shot it...maybe it is the ammo....but have been in communication with the factory about this problem...they told me that I would have to ship the whole rifle back to them....ouch!!

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline notsams

• Mar/11 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 07:16:51 PM »
Bo    Cooper gets its carbon fiber barrels from Proof Research.

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 07:01:39 AM »
Yari - My Christensen Arms is a Stainless Steel liner wrapped in all that carbon.....as I break it in, the groups are getting tighter!! It it lighter than chrome-moly for sure...and to shoot the 6.5 PRC ammo wow, great all around rifle...

I have said this before but the 6.5 Creedmoor is a little to light for the big Elk, the 6.5 PRC is OK in my book!! love that round!! Almost like a 270WSM very similar......

As much as we shoot our rifles (except for Dutch), it is hard to choose. If you grew up using stainless you will choose stainless rifle and if you grew up using chrome-moly then you would choose that as well...In my collection, have good mix of both, just like Spit Toe does, we grew up hunting with out Dad's and we would use what they used....just depends of when you were born...LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 07:22:15 AM »
Was down in the gun room, like I am every day yesterday and was looking over and started resizing 6.5 PRC brass and it is my lighter than the Bergara 6.5 CM.... would maybe take it on a Elk hunt but would not shoot the big one at over 300 yards.....but it would certainly do the job on an Elk. Most of the Elk that I have taken have been within 200 yards....

But have cleaned the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC and it cleans up in 10 patches...so it is ready to go to the range for 2020! All i have to do is to finish reloading some 140 gn Accubonds.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad