New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Range Results 8-28-2019  (Read 210 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Range Results 8-28-2019
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
Since I took three rifles down to the hunt club in GA, thought I would take them to the range plus a couple of others this week....Took the 6.5 PRC Christensen Arm Ridgeline, the 6.5 Bergara B14 HMR, the Mossberg MVP 223, these were in the truck, and took to the range this week with me were the CVA 50 Cal Muzzle Loader and the Cooper M54 Custom in 308 Win.....

When I got there at 4:04 PM, there was nobody there at the range!! It only took about 10 minutes to get set up and go put up some targets downrange......At 4:15 started shooting with Billy S, my shooting buddy....A note about the targets I used, you know they said "aim small, hit small". This weeks Targets were 8.5x11 inch plain paper targets and not the 11x17 inch that I like to use...so the bulls eye was a 1" smiley face. All targets shot at 100 yards (for now, will shoot these rifles at 100 yards and two of the rifles the 6.5 Christensen Arms and the 6.5 Creedmoor in the Bergara) the temp ranged from 86.4 to 89.7 degrees, the Humidity was dropping and when from 56% to 52%, the BP was a rock steady 30.16, the winds were mostly from back to front over my shoulder and sometimes it would swirl (no rain at all) and it range from 0 to 11.1 mph...there was no mirage at 100 yards but at 200 and 300 it was present....

First up was the Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC using the 120 gn Factory Ammo, since Hornady has decided to keep the components off the market for now, this rifle does not like the 120 gn bullets but the group was decent....it has a Leupold VX5-HD 3-15X scope, scope set at 10X, shot from 4:16 to about 4:40 PM....

Second rifle was the little Mossbery MVP in 223, was using Black Hills 75 gn refurbished ammo, still impressed with this rifle, it is so simple...stuck a Vortex CF2 and it has been shoot good every since....set the scope at 7X power....

Third Rifle up was the CVA 50 Cal Muzzle Loader....This is still the biggest question that I have...shot only 3 times at the range yesterday and will clean it this morning, this rifle is still a mystery to me....still a work in progress...will continue to take this sucker to the range every week for at least 3 more times until it starts to group...it has a Bushnell DOA scope sitting on top of it and the scope was set at 9X for the 100 yard shot....

Forth Up was the Cooper M54 Custom in 308...with its Leica 2.5-10X scope on it....This little 19" barrel length is good for the 100 yards it shot today. I pulled the first shot but don't know what happen on the 4th shot...humm....need to reload about 10 more rounds of the same load...it shot OK but......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Range Results 8-28-2019
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Re: Range Results 8-28-2019
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 07:54:37 AM »
Finally the last rifle I shot was the Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. It has the Tract Toric 3-15X Scope mounted on it....because of the small target had to go up from 8X to 10X in power, my eye balls are headed south....still it was a good group, all three touched and the scope is set right, 1" high at 100 yards....One thing that I have done since I took it to the range a few times ago, this year is to adjust the LOP by pulling out 2 spacers in the Butt stock and the Comb Height, brought it up about 1 inches. Did that make a difference or what...I just put my cheek down on the rifle and the scope was there!!! Wow, big difference...maybe have to look at getting more stocks like this one....shot 3 times at 100 yards, and have declared this rifle ready to hunt with for this season.....

But all in all it was a good day at the range, could have been better but Mexican was good, Billy and I were seated next to a bunch of School Teachers and you could tell who they were by the conversations about the kids and Politics!! Six of them were voting for the Demo-Rats candidate....we are going to have to find us another place to eat!! 

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 09:26:35 AM »
Thanks BO you got some nice groups. The CVA is a question although that ain't a terrible group- 2-3 are great. I am assuming you are doing everything the same when shoot it powder bullet and primer. I am also sure you are loading it the same way every time. I had a Knight ML one time that would never group ever I tried everything to get that rifle to shoot right. Never did the first round was dead on the money after that you never knew where it would hit. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 09:28:47 AM by BLUETOE »
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
Blue - before this week at the range, sometimes in the past two weeks did weight out each load (I weigh the load and not volume) and I use the same primer (CCI-209) and the same bullet a T/C 250 gn Super Glide (the kind you buy at Wally World). Have a mixed bag of 250 to 300 gn bullets....all using the Sabot type bullet....I know this rifle can shoot good just may take a few more time to the range....thank goodness my Crossbow can shoot accurately out to 70 yards, I would never try and shoot a deer at that distance, maybe 50 yards would be my limit, but still at that time of year, with all the leaves on the trees 50 yards where I hunt at is quiet the distance......

But all those bulls eye are 1" diameter, so all in all it was a good day, except for the CVA, I do have 4 more smoke poles that I can take in case the CVA doesn't work out.....When I got my Savage ML10 II I was looking at the Knight 85 and almost got one, but I was looking at the Austin and the Cooper back then too....still looking at Cooper....

Thanks for your comment......Bo
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:38:13 PM »
Yesterday was my 11th trip to the range this year, so far, and Billy and I are planning at least 2 more trips, I will sneak out to the range by myself in the early mornings hours just to shoot on a weekly bases.....Just like Dutch says...Practice, Practice and more Practice...I know it is a waste of ammo, not really, but you practice with what you take to the woods. I have so many raw bullets that I will never have to buy any more for the rest of my life....but by the end of Sept, that will be it for us for the year, then we both get into our hunting season, Billy will be hunting in TN and KY and I will be hunting in GA...

I will start taking the more familiar calibers to the range with me, like the Rem 700 LTR, the Savage LE1 and the Kimber 8400 twins, Steyr and FNH shorties, All 308's. Where I hunt there is no 200+ yards hunting at all, even with the leaves down you can only shoot 100 yards. Now before this year, with the trees down, you could shoot longer then, but now with the pine trees growing so fast, the deer will be harder to spot and you will need a quick, light shooter to be able to point and shoot....

Will take the 270 Win and the 270 WSM to the range, along with several 7mm-08...I did promise Split Toe and Deer head I would bring down the 280 Blaser for Split and the 270 WSM McWhorter for Deerhead down with me.....Will bring down 4 to 6 rifles down with me on the Annual hunt. Heck maybe will bring down the 338 Lapua the one that shoots 3 shots through the same hole at 200 yards!!! would like to see what that does to a doe!! Eeks!!  --09--0

What I did this morning after the Range Results Post, I took the targets down stairs and took out each rifle and looked over the target that went with each rifle and ran and one wet patch and several dry patches down each barrel and did a trigger test on each....most broke a 3.3 lbs or lighter, even the CVA broke at the 3.3 lbs...nice triggers...then I made a scope adjustment on two of the 5 rifles I took yesterday then I cleaned the scope of each and then put them back in the safes....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:44:04 PM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Online Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 10:35:37 PM »
Methinks the .338 Lapua is a bit of overkill on a doe inside of 200 yards Bo! 
 ##$%#1118
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 01:04:47 AM »
Mad - Yea I think so too...LOL...I have shot them using a 300 Win Mag and it messes up so much meat!! So, if I am going strictly after Does, big boy steps out in front of me....LOL....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 11:45:39 AM »
Nice shooting Bo.  Fun day at the range!
The teachers need to realize who gives them raises!  Its not the dems.  They cut their salary and raise taxes. 
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
  • TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »
Glad you enjoyed your day at the range. The Bergara 6.5 CM is dialed in...ready for the season!!!
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad