New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Work Weekend at the GA Hunt Club  (Read 386 times)

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
Work Weekend at the GA Hunt Club
« on: August 26, 2019, 07:03:57 AM »
Got down there around 4 PM on this past Thursday and saw the guys, Split Toe, Metalman, Jap51, Cobbguy and Sonny (who is not a member of TH) but Split Toe was plowing up the food plots when he ran into a nylon strap that was burried in the ground since last year, due to the fact that one guy's ATV was stuck in the mud last year. He got it out but I think and no one can be sure exactly when it was lost, but when I arrive all of them was trying to figure out how to get it off the bush hog, and it took all of them to get it off and next came getting the bush hog off and getting it fixed...Thank goodness that Metalman has the equipment and knows welding as good as he does. The bush hog was loaded up onto Split Toe Trailer and off they went. They got back to Camp at 9 PM with Bush Hog fixed....

Friday was and more productive stage but when I saw Split Toe come walking back to camp, I thought to myself, this isn't good!! Where was the Tractor? it was stuck near Deerhead tower stand in the back of the property....when Metalman showed up we jump onto. Oh yea, Metalman knows Chainsaws too!...on his ATV he carries two of them....we got the tractor unstuck from the tree but it cost us two disc that were bent out of shape....so we have got that expense to add to the hunting dues...in addition that Split Toe had told us that he had just put a battery in the 1977 model tractor for $140...ouch! but he said it was the first time in 11 years that he had to do that.....

After we got the bush hog strap solved, then it was the disc problem that threw everything behind schedule a bit, we did manage to get threw the food plots at 3:55 PM and it started to rain at 6:05 PM....and we had Saturday night Steaks!!! and bake potato and a great salad....man was it good.....

All and all, it was a very good weekend, and when it rained we all had a smile on our face!! Despite, the set backs we had a great time, we met the new members and us old members we are getting older!! But we will keep doing this until we cant do this anymore!! I can see it now me spreading Fertilizer and Lime when I am 85 years old, with my walker and hearing aids!! LOL....

NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

TalkHunting Community

Work Weekend at the GA Hunt Club
« on: August 26, 2019, 07:03:57 AM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline BLUETOE

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • 16 Point
Re: Work Weekend at the GA Hunt Club
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 08:18:51 AM »
Sounds nice!! Sounds like our work weekend in Pa. Work on what you can, there will always be breakdowns and challenges and eat well!!!!
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 08:38:03 AM »
Bo I know you are sore.  I am too.  Throwing all that WTI seed was a chore.  But I cant wait to see those plots in a few weeks.  The rain came right on time!  Soon as we finished it rained.  That does not happen very often.  Lets hope we get a little rain over the next few weeks to keep the seed growing. 

All the guys at camp did a great job to have everything finished by Saturday afternoon.  As Bo said several guys got an early start on Thursday which really helped.  I feel bad that Splittoe got hung up on a tree and damaged the disc.  But glad we have someone as talented as Metalman who can fix just about anything. 

This looks to be another great year a BCSC
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline yari

• TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 09:53:03 AM »
it's good to know that i'm not the only guy w/ food plot issues. it's a lot of work and cost, but good for the deer. i will go up this weekend for the first time since i planted 4 weeks ago. i had some rain, but could use more

glad it all came together
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
You gotta love timely rains, glad you guys were able to get in front of it.  We finally go close to an inch last night!!  I'm still toying with putting out one more plot but there's just not much time for it to establish.  Have a lot of native red clover in most of my plots, and it's getting thicker as I mow down the weeds - may just end up relying on that this fall although it would be nice to get something going that would serve them well later in the winter.  If nothing else though all of that clover will green up early in the spring and give them a good start on recovering from the winter.

Maybe we need to start a thread about what everyone does for sore muscles.  I got into a couple of big projects this week too and still feeling it in a big way.  Then managed to get a wasp inside my shirt saturday night & took a couple of good hits from him - this old man isn't ready to tackle much today but I really need to get out there.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Split toe

• 2017 Deer Hunting Champion
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »
This past weekend was a real test for the old PMA...(Positive Mental Attitude). I've lived by it for years no matter had bad things may seem something good will come from it. The biggest problem was the heat. It was 95 on Thursday 97 on Friday and 92 on Saturday and you could cut the humidity with a knife. When the rain started on Saturday evening it dropped the temp to a wonderful 68 degrees. It was 67 when we got up on Sunday overcast and a high of 78.

The bad was the heat and equipment failure the good is being supported by a group of the finest men on the planet! I just can't say enough about how everyone pulled together and got the job done. Anyone that has ever worked with farm equipment knows that when you play in the dirt things just break over time however it was nothing that can't be fixed. I will say that the walk back to camp of a mile in 97 degree heat was not my highlight of the weekend. That day I drank 10 bottles of water, 3 large bottles of Powerade, 2 bottles of Gatorade and I never took a leak all day. When I got home Sunday around 3:30 I unload a few things out the truck came in the house and enjoyed a very long shower. I finished unloading this morning.

As Deerhead said I'm looking forward to another great year for our club...the hard work is over...so let the good times roll! It was so nice to enjoy a few good adult beverages and a fine steak and fellowship Saturday night! The good is... us old guys survived the heat and adversity of the weekend, a few sore muscles and a job well done! Life is good at deer camp...     
NRA Member
NWTF Member
Butts County Sportsmen's Club-President
Keep your arrows sharp and your powder dry-always in search of split-toe!!!
52 years hunting experience
2015,2016, 2018,2019 WalleyeBlast
2015, 2016 Summerblast

Offline yari

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »
You gotta love timely rains, glad you guys were able to get in front of it.  We finally go close to an inch last night!!  I'm still toying with putting out one more plot but there's just not much time for it to establish.  Have a lot of native red clover in most of my plots, and it's getting thicker as I mow down the weeds - may just end up relying on that this fall although it would be nice to get something going that would serve them well later in the winter.  If nothing else though all of that clover will green up early in the spring and give them a good start on recovering from the winter.

Maybe we need to start a thread about what everyone does for sore muscles.  I got into a couple of big projects this week too and still feeling it in a big way.  Then managed to get a wasp inside my shirt saturday night & took a couple of good hits from him - this old man isn't ready to tackle much today but I really need to get out there.

that's what happens when you retire so early. your muscle atrophy  --099-780 --099-780 the best thing i've found is get back to work. maybe not as hard as the day before, but get active. get the lactic acid out asap. ibuprofen works to
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Jap51

• Button Buck
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
Enjoyed every minute of it.....the work, the tall tales that grow a little every year and of course the fellowship with all these great guys. Looking forward to a great season. I will share some pics of some Ga. Deer in the near future.  -0078
Butts County Sportsmen's Club Member
NWTF Member

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

Offline Gutshot

• 2015/16 TH Deer Champion
  • TH Staff - Moderator
  • Potter County "God's Country"
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »
You guys always work hard to keep things in order down there, nobody said there was going to be steaks and taters, I would have made the trip just to eat a couple steaks. Chef Split toe is the best grill master, bar none.  ##$%#111

I hope you all get rested up now before the muzzleloader season kicks in.  -0078
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member
SummerBlast 2010, 2011,2012, 2015 & 2016
American Military Retirees Association
54 Years of Hunting Experience
Youngwood Sportsmens Association 53 Years
WalleyeBlast 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

Offline dave 1211

• TalkHunting Supporter
  • 18 Point
  • deer season
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
 ##$%#13   ##$%#15 but the older you get the more s--t you spread BO

##$%#1118   @--0--0102    --099-780 --099-780
time for food plots deer season is coming 10/1/20

dave 1211

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 04:50:03 PM »
If Yari keeps picking on us retirees I'm gonna have to find my safe space for a good cry. --099-780

Agree with you though, seems to be best if you can just get back at it and keep the muscles moving.  I will say that after 6 months of retirement I feel like I'm in better shape than I was 5-10 years ago.  Being out doing physical stuff most days (within reason of course) has to be a lot better than sitting in the office 50-60 hours a week and loading up on donuts and other goodies every day.  Dang now I'm hungry.
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 06:23:40 AM »
Thanks to the tireless efforts of Split Toe, Jap51, Metalman, Deerhead, Cobb Guy and others in the club, it makes a hot and humid weekend a great one. Sure it was Hot and Humid and the ageless tractor that we have (1977 model) was a challenge this year and ATV accidents...but with all the negative that surrounded the work weekend, when it started to rain right after Split Toe declared that we were finished-completed...a smile came over every face when it started to rain!

Thanks again for all the hard work and efforts put together this year Work Weekend....hopefully it will pay off this hunting season......
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD