New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Knives?  (Read 723 times)

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Re: Knives?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »
I'm a big Puma Fan, have many 9 - Puma Knifes (including Pocket Puma's)...other knifes I own 3 - Gerber, 3 - Crenshaw, 4 - Walton-Schrade, 7 - Buck (including 3 pocket knifes, 4 - Alaskian, 1- Boker, 1- Cold Steel. Never have owned a Havalon or Outdoor Edge. I have look real good at Benchmade. Both Bud's and Smoky Mtn Knife Works carry them. Have gone to Buds 4 times this year and during each visit have eyed one or two of them have caught my eye....they are very expensive, but worth it if they do keep their edge....How many Barlows do you have, at last count I won about 6 of them...paid a whopping $2.99 for it

What about Knife Sharpners? - I have many various way of doing it. Stones, Ceramics...my favorite is a Lansky. Have three of them. what do you guys use? would love to hear your comments on both....I keep sharpen them at a 25 degree edge. I figure that is the best over all angle....

I have Lansky but just never got to like it so I got the Worksharp.

I have some other similar to Lansky and just did not float my boat but that is just me.

I had a wet stone sharpner system but again not something I liked so I donated it to the Church garage sale.

Buck is OK I even have one of their more traditional folders with the nice wood handle.

Alaska looks great but dulls too fast

OutDoor edge I still have a few I have not donated to the church, yet

No Pumaís

The Case Peanut is nice

Tons of no-name knives given out at FD shows, Buckmasters

I suppose Benchmade will be what I will keep and maybe get that gut hook model someday
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

TalkHunting Community

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:35 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 08:29:33 PM »
mad- the memory is the second thing to go.  ##$%#15
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 11:08:00 PM »
After my post the other day, I thought I would check myself. Went down to the gun room and pulled out a old tool box that had "Knives" in Magic Marker written across it...Pulled out the old stone that was a fine girt and another stone (2400) that was a coarser grit (400) and an old soaked rag, and the old oil that I use to use....I keep my knives in 3 places, that tool box, a shelf in the gun room and a dresser drawer....so far have found many pocket knives and a couple of hunting knives that was accounted for. One thing I did do is to move the ones from the dresser drawer to the gun room. Now have all my knives in the gun room.....Wow, I have more cheapie knives that I thought....LOL... --099-780

Times were tough, had to ask Santa to bring them to me if I was a good boy, which I always am...yea right!!

My first real knife was a Schrade-Walden 4.5" long blade....got it for being a good boy at Christmas, when I was 17....Dad thought it was good idea if Mom would take it to work with her, Mom worked at a Grocery Store (her entire career, if you call it that) and that the Butchers could put a fine edge on it, so she took it to work with her.....man did they butcher up the blade for sure with grind marks all over the blade, it look horrible....after seeing what they done to it, it would be another 6 to 7 years before I would picked that knife up again.....

That 4.5" knife is about 4.0 inches long and is very thin.....it doesn't look like the same knife. What I did was to take a rainy weekend when I worked down in Florida and filed and polished that knife until it looks like it does today....a shadow of itself, but it works and for many years it field dressed many a deer with that knife...It took me over 20 hours to get the marks out of the body of the blade that those "censored Word" butchers put in it....Dad was very upset with them as well....and I was heart broken....

Today that is one of my favorite knifes, have it baby brother as well and have a couple of their pocket knives....keeps an edge on it for sure....thanks for the walk down memory lane....

In my Fanny pack now it is the small Cabela's Alaska (made by Buck) actually there is a couple of them in it. But if I take down a monster white tail, I will break out the Schrade-Walden (the goofy looking one) and field dress the deer with it....LOL....Thanks for the post   

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:23:29 AM by BoBallistic »
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2019, 05:39:24 PM »
I also  realized I have a few Leathermanís. Not too much enamored with them.
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 07:59:35 PM »
Yea, me too! Carry one in the truck for emergencies and carry the Gerber in the tote I take to the range when I go....wow, almost forgot about them, Thanks for the reminder.....
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2019, 08:29:46 PM »
Gerber came out with their version of a multi-tool shortly after the Leatherman hit the market.  Friend of mine had a Leatherman, I liked the general concept of the tool but frankly felt like they didn't quite hit the mark.  When I first saw Gerber's version I was impressed and grabbed one, that was probably 20-25 years ago.  Still using it today (literally, used it today) and it has held up well.  The knife blade holds an edge very well, I've cut a lot of things I shouldn't with it and have probably only sharpened it 3-4 times over the years.  Dressed out a buck with it one evening after discovering I had failed to bring along my normal sheath knife and with the warm temps didn't want to take the time to go back home for it.  It has a serrated blade as well which I don't use much, and have never sharpened.  My only issue with it is that the belt holster is wearing out.

Schrade used to make really good blades - I know for a while they went south in terms of quality and I haven't looked at one in a few years so don't know if they've bounced back or not.  Hope so. 

Haven't tried an actual Havalon but do have someone's knockoff of it (can't recall the brand) - those scalpel blades are crazy sharp, but for most of the things I do with a knife I like a sturdier blade.  Watched a video awhile back of a guy skinning out whitetail skulls for Euro mounts with one - made it look easy.

When Dad still had his butcher shop, he used to buy his knives from Herters - I still have one of them.  When I first started hunting deer that was what I used for field dressing, it was roughly a 6" boning knife, very plain jane, but good blades.  He'd still be using them even when that 6" blade started looking like a 3" paring knife.  They were way better than the stainless blade knives he used to get at the butcher supply store, and far less expensive (inspectors weren't fond of them of course).
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
I also have a khukuri, a knife Nepali speaking Gurkhas of Nepal and India use. Tradition allows it only to be unsheathed if blood is drawn. Not for hunting but I have it. A story for another time and place as to why.......
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »
I have a 31" machete. I plan on using if I ever shoot a 400 lb buck.  Lol
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
I have a 31" machete. I plan on using if I ever shoot a 400 lb buck.  Lol
Heck Louie, just grab the Sawzall if you get into that situation!!    --099-780 --099-780 --099-780
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2019, 07:34:42 PM »
I checked my knives, I have an  Alaska fixed blade with gut hook so I will pass on getting a Benchmade gut-hook knife

I have my WorkSharp device ready an will spend some time sharpening a lot of my knives and than take my son to see  Apollo Has Fallen. Third in the Fallen movie genre
Remember the 343
9-11-01
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »
Saw CJ Buck on Fox and Friends this morning on their "Made in America" series on home grown products. CJ said that his Dad or Grand Dad started the company way back in 1961 when the finally put the Buck Model 110 into production. It was a good 10 minutes segment on the Buck Knives...did not know if anyone else saw the program this morning or not. I got my knife tool box out and dug out the all the Bucks that I own. One of the first knife that I owned was a Model 110. The first one was a model 112 and then went to a smaller pocket knife, that I carried for years....I own about a dozen of so Buck Knifes.....

Bo

RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 04:18:30 AM »
A few years after the Walden-Schrade (Now, it is called the Old Timer or Schrade) fiasco that my parents through and both of them were mad about scaring up that knife, and after taking about a half inch down both height and length wise on that memorial weekend in Florida when I sat down with a big tea and a fine tooth file and honing stone and did the deed....I got myself a Lansky, this was in the very late 70's (say about 78 or 79) and had one ever since....Lansky has sold out to someone else his design or his patent has run out on it, but I told myself back then that I would never take a file or sandpaper to a Hunting Knife....

So with the Lansky I quickly settled in on the 25 degree edge for all my knives that I own...even the pocket knife that I carry today.....I cannot put the right angle on a knife, I am just one of those guys who needs a little help from a Lansky or similar device that helps....I would recommend a device like this to anybody like me that cannot keep the knife at a the same angle when sharpening a knife.....Thanks Flint...

Back in the early 80's started buying honing oil and stones and keep a well oil rag with them....today it is full of stones and oil as well as the Lansky and replacement rods and stones that I still use...will in a few weeks dig them out and start checking the knifes and this time of year will not have any hair left of my legs....will test the knife to see whether it is sharp or not...LOL....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 04:22:45 AM by BoBallistic »
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Share Your Knowledge

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2019, 07:45:40 AM »
The old Lansky sharpening system is a good one, but takes a bit of patience to get the most of it.  I don't own one but have used them a couple times.  Dad got me indoctrinated in knife sharpening as a kid working in his butcher shop.  Once a knife edge was set up a sharpening steel was all we needed for quite a while.  We had a large oilstone we'd use once a blade was too far gone for the steel to revive it.  He would use a file on occasion, but only if the blade was really messed up.  I still follow his approach for the most part but use a diamond steel rather than on oilstone generally when the regular steel is insufficient.
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad