New Page 2

Donate to TalkHunting

!!

You are a Guest at TalkHunting

As a guest here, you are able to view some of the topics to get a feel for how this site works. However, you will not be able to post replies until you become a member. We hope that you will register (free) and become a member. This will open up all of the website for you to see. We are a very friendly group and we do not allow any bashing, fighting, or vulgarity. If you are looking for a family friendly site to talk about hunting, you have found it here at TalkHunting. You will find this a very comfortable and friendly place to visit and hang out. We hope to see you soon!

If you are having problems getting registered or you didn't receive your activation email, click the "Contact Us" link at the top left of this page.

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Author Topic: Knives?  (Read 717 times)

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Knives?
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:18 PM »
I started with Buck and some other knives they gave out at Buckmasters for subscribing.

I “moved up” sometime back to Outdoor Edge. Gut hook.Ok but dulled quickly.

Moved up again and  I got some Cabelas Alaska knives fixed and gut hook which are made by Buck I believe. Ok but looses edge quick.

Then, I got two EDC From Benchmade and really like them. I was thinking of getting a Benchmade with guthook. Around $110 most places.

Before I buy, what gut hook knives do you use?
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

TalkHunting Community

Knives?
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:58:18 PM »
New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Offline RoughRiderND

• 2009 Prize Winner
  • 7 Point
Re: Knives?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 07:16:36 PM »
Knives of Alaska. I have 11 knives, two with gut hooks and seldom have to sharpen them. I once field dressed seven consecutive whitetails beofre I briefly used a steel to true the edge! I am fanatical about good edges. Gerber has also impressed me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:18:25 PM by RoughRiderND »
6 years preparing with father and brother
62 years tramping fields and streams harvesting and eating the products of fin, feather and fur.
Now training grandchildren in the fine art of food gathering.

Offline Deerhead

• 12 Point Droptine
  • Team
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:38:40 PM »
Flint Great question!
I too would like to know what brand of knife holds an edge. 

I have a Gerber that is nice and holds an edge will.  My best knife is a custom knife, It my favorite knife and its excellent at holding an edge. The bad thing is my friend no longer makes knifes.     

I will follow this thread to see what everyone likes.  I have been looking at Benchmade.  Just want to know if they are worth the money.
Team Skully
Butts County Sportsmen's Club

Offline yari

• TH Staff - Contest Team
  • TalkHunting Dominant Buck
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
I got a 2 knife set from RMEF years ago. I used them to butcher 2 moose and several deer. the gut hook is tough to get an edge on, but the work sharp does a decent job

my favorite knife was made by my grandpa, who was a blacksmith. i'm afraid to lose it so it stays in the safe   
'HUNT WITH YOUR KIDS NOT FOR THEM'
NAHC LIFE MEMBER
SCI MEMBER
DU MEMBER
MUSKY hunter
NRA

Offline Madgomer

• 2016 TH Turkey Champion
  • 14 Point
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 09:39:54 PM »
In terms of bang for the buck, Gerber makes pretty good stuff. Can't complain about Bucks either although I prefer the grip on my Gerbers over the old traditional slick Buck fixed blades. My Gerber multi tool (probably 20 years old now) and my two Gerber sheath knives (one of those close to 30 years old by now) are pretty decent once you get a good edge.  One of my Gerbers and a little custom knife I have include guthooks.  I sharpen them with a little round diamond coated file that fits very nicely into the groove.  As RoughRider said, these don't need to be sharpened that often - if you have a good blade with a good edge, you're going to be able to unzip quite a few deer before you need to touch it up again since you're only cutting about three feet of hide each time.

I usually have one of these Smith's tools in my pocket when I'm hunting.  Can use it for knife blades, broadheads, and fold out the little diamond file if you want to touch up a gut hook.  Link below is from Lowes but these things are sold all over the place.  It's about 3" long and an inch wide - biggest problem I have is finding it in my pocket when I need it.  Good little tool for $8-10 bucks.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Smith-s-Knife-Sharpener/3063981
One of God's greatest gifts to us is
the great outdoors - get out there
and enjoy it!

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 06:31:22 AM »
Sorry I don't use any Gut hook knives. I have a Buck Pathfinder my father gave me 40 yrs ago and that is all I use in the field. I use a shingle blade in my Box knife to skin and the old Buck to quarter then it is fillet knives to butcher.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 07:10:48 AM »
 ##$%#1118
Sorry I don't use any Gut hook knives. I have a Buck Pathfinder my father gave me 40 yrs ago and that is all I use in the field. I use a shingle blade in my Box knife to skin and the old Buck to quarter then it is fillet knives to butcher.
Tough to beat a good fillet knife for boning out a deer and taking off fat and silverskin.
and enjoy it!

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 10:35:01 AM »
I use a buck 110 to gut out my deer, although I have used a much smaller buck knife, too. I have a Gerber Gator folder with a gut hook. I will use this one in conjunction with the Buck 110.  I have also use another Buck folder with blaze camo scales. While hunting , I usually carry 2-3 knives, just in case. I also have various Bucks, 112, 119  and smaller folders, which I hardly ever carry. One of the 112's has never been used. Still in original box.
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 11:23:18 AM »
Isn't it amazing how we accumulate this stuff over the years?  Just like Bo's "pile of scopes" I have piles of various things that are often still in the packaging even though they seemed necessary at the time.  I really need to start sifting through everything and making a "man's yard sale pile" in order to free up space and generate cash with which to purchase more stuff.  --099-780 And so the circle of life rolls on!
and enjoy it!

Offline Flintlock1776

• 12 Point Droptine
    • NYFD
Re: Knives
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »
I have the Worksharp device

I will get the Smith’s pocket tool, handy to have in my backpack vs. running home to get the Worksharp
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 06:17:40 PM by Flintlock1776 »
Remember the 343
9-11-01
George Johnson, Ladder 157
Dan McWilliams, Ladder 157
Bily Eisengrien, Rescue 2
Scott Strauss NYPD ESU
Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Member Buckmaster's
Member NWTF
Wounded Warrior Project
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Offline BLUETOE

• 16 Point
Re: Knives
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 05:11:15 AM »
I have the Worksharp device

I will get the Smith’s pocket tool, handy to have in my backpack vs. running home to get the Worksharp
I have a Worksharp as well great tool I sharpen my axes, machetes shovels and kitchen knives with it. One handy tool.
If it's brown it's down

Life member of the NRA
Life member of NAHC
Member NWTF
Life member of NTA

Offline BoBallistic

• 14 Point
  • Share Your Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 06:20:18 AM »
I'm a big Puma Fan, have many 9 - Puma Knifes (including Pocket Puma's)...other knifes I own 3 - Gerber, 3 - Crenshaw, 4 - Walton-Schrade, 7 - Buck (including 3 pocket knifes, 4 - Alaskian, 1- Boker, 1- Cold Steel. Never have owned a Havalon or Outdoor Edge. I have look real good at Benchmade. Both Bud's and Smoky Mtn Knife Works carry them. Have gone to Buds 4 times this year and during each visit have eyed one or two of them have caught my eye....they are very expensive, but worth it if they do keep their edge....How many Barlows do you have, at last count I won about 6 of them...paid a whopping $2.99 for it

What about Knife Sharpners? - I have many various way of doing it. Stones, Ceramics...my favorite is a Lansky. Have three of them. what do you guys use? would love to hear your comments on both....I keep sharpen them at a 25 degree edge. I figure that is the best over all angle....
NRA Life-Endowment-Patron Member
RMEF Life Member
Buckmasters Life Member
2019 NWTF Member
Proud Member of Butts County Sportsman Asso
20 yrs of Western Elk/Muley/Antelope Hunts
2009 & 2011 African Safaris
Share Your Knowledge

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:38 PM »
Roger, that Buck 112 I purchased was not intended to be used. Crazy, I know  but how many guys buy a rifle and never fire it? If I wanted to use a 112, I have 1 or 2 more that can be put to work. 
Don't ask the Lord to guide your steps, unless you're willing to move your feet.
NRA Life Member.
Started reloading my own ammo to save money 35 yrs ago.  Should start saving money anytime now.

Offline MichiganLouie

• 16 Point
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »
Bo, back in 1965, or 1966, I purchased one of those stones with fine grit on one side, coarser on the other. Remember paying something like $3.80. Mind you I was only making about $2/hr. My dad thought I would ruin the stone, but I still use it quite often.  I do have 4 more stones, 2 double sided, the other 2 are the red india oilstones. I also have a couple sharpening steels, but seldom use those. Btw, my first stone does show wear, close to 3/16" belly on it. Not bad for 50 yrs of service. All of my knives, except the pristine 112, have been sharpened with that particular stone, at one time or another. I can't tell you what angle I use.  I try to maintain the original angle whenever possible, but quite often I tend to put a sharper angle on my blades, and retouch lightly as they get dull. Also, if I want to or need to remive a lot of material, I will use water with the stone, if I just want to touch up the edge, or perhaps put a finer edge, I will use a dry stone.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Madgomer

• 14 Point
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 06:22:45 PM »
Roger, that Buck 112 I purchased was not intended to be used. Crazy, I know  but how many guys buy a rifle and never fire it? If I wanted to use a 112, I have 1 or 2 more that can be put to work.

Sounds like a guy who shall remain nameless who wanted a brand new in the box Zebco 33 (one of the good old ones) and then realized recently that he has three brand new in box Zebco 33 reels for some reason.  Dad and I hauled in many a bass, crappie, and catfish on those reels over the years.  Wonder how many miles of line went through the ones that actually left the box?
and enjoy it!

New Page 3

Google Ad

Google Ad

Google Ad